PDA

View Full Version : Can't use indexable tooling on a series 1 brigeport?

tmc_31
11-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey guys,

I was reading a thread on this or another machining forum the other day where a poster stated that you could not use indexable tooling on a series one Bridgeport. Someone else said that it was because of a plastic gear in the head. Is this right? It was also stated the you could only use endmills in a series one BP. Surely this cannot be!!

Please, someone restore my faith in Brigeport.

Tim

SGW
11-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Sounds like complete bs to me. If the concern is overall cutter diameter, that's one thing, but that has only a tenuous connection to the use of inserts. I don't see why an indexable cutter, of a diameter appropriate to the machine, would be a problem.

mechanicalmagic
11-21-2009, 10:57 PM
Bullpoop. No plastic in my mill.

Doozer
11-21-2009, 11:08 PM
A plastic gear sounds like a communist plot of some sort.

--Doozer

doctor demo
11-21-2009, 11:11 PM
Hey guys,

I was reading a thread on this or another machining forum the other day where a poster stated that you could not use indexable tooling on a series one Bridgeport. Someone else said that it was because of a plastic gear in the head. Is this right? It was also stated the you could only use endmills in a series one BP. Surely this cannot be!!

Please, someone restore my faith in Brigeport.

Tim
You did read that on this site. I do not agree ,but if You are machining ya don't want to see how loud the hammering can get before teeth start spitting out of the head. Just don't take outragious cuts or use an 8''fly cutter.

Steve

wierdscience
11-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Do it all the time,just keep the DOC sane and the inserts sharp and all should be well.

tmc_31
11-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks guys,

Even as a newbie I didn't think that could be right. I realize that you can overload any machine tool but as one who hopes to have a bridgy or a bridgy clone in my future I am happy to know that the machines are as capable as I thought they were.

Tim

lazlo
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
Here I'm facing a cast iron plate with a 3" Sandvik facemill on a Burke Millrite, which is a 3/4 sized Bridgeport.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u15/rtgeorge_album/SEHInserts006s.gif

Black_Moons
11-22-2009, 12:04 AM
well go check if you have a plastic gear, if you do, you clearly have a torque limit that may be somewhat costly to replace when you exceed the torque requirements. Interrupted deep large swing cuts will be the worst offender of course, but you can still do them up to a degree, possabley just not the same degree as a all metal gear train. But you'll also more likey to surive a horrable crash :)

Without a plastic gear, you might end up stalling out the motor insted, possabley ruining a tool when the motors momentium comes to a stop and the full starting torque of the motor is encounters (likey quickly blowing the braker soon after).