PDA

View Full Version : When buying a new CNC lathe

INTERPOLATE
10-06-2003, 04:58 PM
like a HAAS toolroom lathe TL-1 from a HFO is it typical to haggle with the store/salesman?
I am not at this point yet, but will soon.
Naturally the dealer is going to evade attempts. And if so what is typically(and reasonable to expect) the maximum the HFO center will go down from the MSRP.
Is it better/typical to haggle on accessories? What would one expect the markup to be on such a machine and accessories. I noticed that items like chucks and toolholder the prices are a little higher than in catalogs.
Thanks for the help. This is my first machine purchase and getting nervous and a little stressed over the decision.
Thanks folks!

Thrud
10-07-2003, 12:58 AM
Haggle over everything - it is your duty. The dealers know you want the best deal possible - sometimes comprimising on a total package is the best way to go.

They are not Saturn - so haggle away. I wouls also check prices with other regional dealers for the best deal. They should install and set up the machine included in the price too.

docsteve66
10-07-2003, 05:18 PM
I seldom ask for reduced prices any more but my brother in law says every thing is negotiable. He even asks for reduced prices at Sears and J.C.Penny's and gets them Or at least he used to.

"Haggle" may be the right term, but I prefer "negotiate". Chinese (in asia) are most fun. Go into a shop, they offer tea, coke, conversation before getting down to trading. Customer is not supposed to say the goods are over priced, only that you can not afford, but would pay even more if you could- then offer at most one half the asking price, even 1/5 if you know the thing is over priced (for the asking price). Then it a case of "meeting of the offers". No insults, very polite, the goal is to make each feel they got a good deal.

Most American salesmen know nothing about what they are selling nor what the minimum price really is. So one of the first questions is "are you authorized to negotiate the price"- they probably are not, so ask for a meeting- preferably later on- with the person who can set a price. And be very sure to ask the same question of the person you meet. If the answer is the price is fixed, just remind them that there are other sources, including used and that they, if smart have set the price as high as market can stand, and you just cannot pay what they ask- of course if you are buying on credit they will tell YOU what you can afford (what they will loan).

Just keep in mind- you have what they want (money) they may have what you want, let them sell you. THey don't know how MUCH money you have, you do know what they have. You have all the advantages - they have only experience in selling and most of them are just cash register clerks- even if they pretend to be more. If they offer (usually by saying company policy is ......) more than the paper works says, ask them if they will just give you a short note saying what they said. THen strike out the lines in the agreement that displease you. At some point you may be told you don't have a deal. WTH, you can always pay full price and accept what you are offered in the way of price cuts and extras. THey will want to count the extras as a "price cut".

Extras ARE like a cut in price, but you don't want to pay (or get credit for)the inflated price for extras either. So take your 100 dollar's worth of extras at same discount as they claim they gave on the base price.

Go forth and rip them a new one!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

C. Tate
10-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Interp,

I have a bridgeport that does the same as haas but is much more sturdy and it is for sale. If you are interested email me.

mtlwrkr
10-09-2003, 01:24 AM
I am sure you have heard the saying;
MONEY TALKS....B.../S...WALKS, In this depressed economy machine tools are not selling too well, Before you buy new machine check out used machines. A good friend just bought a $70k VMC(2 yr old, fullt tooled)VMC for $25k including setup!

------------------
"Make Chips Not Sparks"

Techtchr
10-09-2003, 06:55 AM
This is not exactly the same class of machine, but I've been negotiating/annoying/harrassing the local Harborfreight dealer to donate one of their mini mill drills so my kids can modify it for CNC. I called him back the third time and he said I could pick up my donation. When I got there he wanted to give me one of there $39.00 drill presses. I was very polite and thankful, but I mentioned to him that in my letter I was asking for one of the small mills. He said he couldn't possibly do that, so I asked if I could buy one at a discounted price. I had already made up my mind that I was going to buy one from one of the mailorder places if they were not going to donate one. He said sure!! He punched his computer up and gave me a great price that I think was probably very close to their cost, so I asked if I could buy two at that price. None of the mail order places have anything even close to the price he gave me. The answer was yes again. Now we'll be able to do two conversions.

Matt

arhctysv
10-09-2003, 06:22 PM
A lot of Machine tool distributors have
different percentages. Most get around 15%.
Some Machine Tool Builders give the
a low percentage for the base machine and
then give 30% for accessories to the distributor. So if you have a pushy salesman
who is trying to sell you accessories even
those you don't need, he is getting 30%
Watch out, know the list price of the machine
I know of one Distributor who marks up the
list price 15% and then pretends like he is giving you a huge discount but he is only marking it down to the original list price.