PDA

View Full Version : Headstock Alingment

bob
02-12-2002, 09:26 PM
Thanks everyone for the help. I have tried all the suggestions. I do have a headstock problem (about .003/ft); however I am delaying the "correction fix" until I build a new table. I have a 1950's Sears 12" bench lathe that is in real good shape. After trying all the suggestions, I tried some of my own. I have a machinists level, but I have found something a lot more accurate and useful. I got one of those cheapie laser levels for Christmas. If you want to learn a lot about the condition of your ways just use one of these and project the dot (line) about thrity feet onto a white piece of paper. You can really tell how good a job you have on warp from head to tail. The accuracy is WOW! Now make up a magnetic base for it and watch it when you take a cut as well as let it ride the cross feed. It really points out the deflections. It told me that my table, which is two pieces of 3/4" plywood glued together and laminated with 1/8" steel, flexes quite a bit when taking a medium cut. So I am making a new all steel table. Caution: don't try using the laser level as a level, you are after the accuracy of comparison. I will get back later with the end results Thanks again. Bob

Thrud
02-13-2002, 02:25 AM
Precision laser alignment tools are the norm for MRO and new installations of heavy duty equipment. It kicks butt and only cost two arms and a third leg.

You should be aware that your laser beam diverges (spreads out) because of atmoshperic pollutants (particulates and gases). For best results use in sub-torr pressures. (help!, Help! I can't breathe now - but look at my lathe bed!!!!) ;-)

dave

kap pullen
02-13-2002, 07:12 AM
Wow....only 003 per foot! I never had a lathe that good. That could be tool wear, or windage.

Put a tenth indicator on it and bump it in or out as you cut. Or you can lean on the tailstock.

Cheers,
kapullen

p.s. you guys ever seen a lathe file?

It's a single cut file with teeth on an acute angle and two safe edges.
The angle gives a shearing action, and tends to clear those little welded chip buildups that score the work.
Cut steel like butter, good for taking care of a little taper, or mis-calcuation in cut depth.
Every lathe should have one nearby (especially the wore out ones).
Every good industrial supply house has em.

[This message has been edited by kap pullen (edited 02-13-2002).]

Thrud
02-13-2002, 11:38 PM
Kap
Lathe files. I have a few. They are impossible to get now (good ones at least) and the butt heads throw ten files in a box now! The Nicholson (Canadian) lathe files used to come in a protective plastic sleeve - not anymore. I don't want a pre-mangled file - I could do that myself, geezz! I asked a Simmonds rep about lathe files and the retard showed me a box of mill bastard cut (10 to a box - unprotected). If you know somewhere that has new lathe files that have not been "mangled" - I would like to know.

Dave

halfnut
02-14-2002, 10:54 AM
I remember the first file I ever bought. I went to Earp's hardware store on the corner of the Lamar square. Yes he was some kind of cousin of Wyatt, and Wyatt was Lamar's first lawman, but his brother in-laws ran him out of town, so the local lore goes.

Back to the file purchase, this was the classic old time hardware store, not a blister package or wire display rack in sight. I told old man Earp what I wanted, he went to a wooden drawer, and removed a box of files. Nicholson, and they were all neatly individually wrapped in brown oiled paper.

I still remember this, I was probably 10 years old, and I remember all those cabinets with all those drawers.

docn8as
02-14-2002, 08:25 PM
My God ....u brought back a 60 year long repressed memory Johnsons hrdwr store ,Texas & Goss ave. schnitzelburg ,Louisville ,ky...i couldnt stay away from that place ....every day after school ...all the stuff that i needed ...if i just had a.or b ,or c , i could make all these projects ...mother passed on in 92,& she still had the knife i rehandled in 5 th grade ..went to Johnsons & got 1/4 in stove bolts ( didnt know abt rivets )nutted , cut them off & pounded them...used soft wood ,all i had , ...really worn away ...incidentally , #6 copper ground wire makes the best poor boy rivets ..wont ever go back to 2 piece brass!! tnx for the memory.............
best wishes
docn8as

Thrud
02-14-2002, 11:06 PM
Doc

My dad used to buy two piece pure copper rivets to fix canvas tents and to repair the strap (I buried his WW2 pistol belt when I was four - that hardware hurt like hell). Never seen brass ones - did not know they made them in brass!

Dave

metal mite
02-15-2002, 07:49 AM
dave,halfnut,

Manhattan supply lists lathe files as listed
Nicholson 10" 80765019 $10.15
Nicholson 12" 80765027 $13.71
nicholson 14" 80765035 $18.56
They are at 800 645 7270.
W. C. Chapman in baltimore, my local supplier also sells them by the piece.
I 'll get a number, don't have it here.

metal

[This message has been edited by metal mite (edited 02-15-2002).]

docn8as
02-15-2002, 11:54 PM
Dave ...reckon ur referring to copper rivet & burr( washer) for harness repair ,belting etc. ....still have some left from when we raised & broke colts ....ancient driving /work harness was always tearing....miss seeing /hearing the horses ,but not shoveling the stalls ..had one mare that opened up the stalls & let 8 head out ...got call from state police 5:00 sunday morn . ..they were on the interstate grazing in the meridian...lots of fun!...borrowed a horse couple summers ago when grand kids were down & taught them to ride... ...after a week they thot they were pretty good till their mother got on ( w/ a skirt) & gave them a show ...they didnt know that she could ride as well & shoot a rifle better than any of the kids around,including her brothers, when she was growing up!!! all of a sudden those wise acre teen age boys looked at their mother w/ a little more respect.....i was referring to the telescoping brass rivets for knife handles( loosen up & come apart).....have been useing a knife in kitchen now for 20+ yrs ( #6 copper gr. wire & just as tight as when made.)
best wishes
docn8as

Thrud
02-16-2002, 01:52 AM
metal

Thanks, I will give them a call.

Doc

Horse Apples - that is why I ride a 4x4 Dodge. It is tough to hunt big elk up here with out a good horse - that is why my preferred prey is the "Mighty Gopher" sometimes with truck wheels (by accident)and mostly with 7.62x39 Russian ($.10 per gopher - God bless Chinese ammo).

Dave