PDA

View Full Version : Wheel shapes for tool grinders?

Boucher
11-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I was trying to order a CBN wheel for a tool grinder in the 6A2C configuration from MSC. The customer service person at MSC was very good but needed some help and called Norton. That is where things turned bad. Long story short the Norton girl was going to have to get me a quote on a special order to provide the holes for the mounting holes and wanted for me to give her the dimensions. When the dust settled I told Norton to forget it. Turned out MSC had one in stock. It will be here Monday. I am keeping my finger crossed hoping it is correct.

Now the Question: Where does one find the dimensions for Wheel shapes. The best I can determine Type 6A2 just adds the holes to become 6A2C.

I know that I could have added the holes myself but the Norton customer service person was dumb and unresourcefull and left me with a less than warm feeling about her company.

oldtiffie
11-22-2009, 10:41 PM
Byron.

Try these:
http://www.bgsusa.com/id538.htm

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=6A2C&btnG=Google+Search&meta=&aq=null&oq=

Paul Alciatore
11-23-2009, 03:16 AM
If I had been talking to that person at Norton, I would have asked to be bumped up to her supervisor or someone who actually knew what they were doing.

Circlip
11-23-2009, 05:05 AM
When she's recounting the story I wonder what her slant on the tale is Byron?Customer service is one of the most difficult skills to learn and can only be done "Live".

YOU know exactly what YOU want, but trying to relay to another party is sometimes very dissheartening.

Worked in an engineering "Department" that answered all technical questions from "I want the product to do ----------" to "Do you have a catalogue"

Despite MANY requests to the receptionist/telephonists to filter the latter type to save us writing down an address to give BACK to the R/T to send out, after one or two of those and one or two "Shouters" and I'm not excusing the Techy Dept of Norton, but we all have to learn.

Be assured, MY wife can turn one or two engineers inside out, some of us do train them propper like.

Regards Ian.

DICKEYBIRD
11-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Turned out MSC had one in stock. It will be here Monday. I am keeping my finger crossed hoping it is correct.Hey Byron, I'm lusting after a 6A2C CBN wheel myself. I'm sitting down and have a firm grip on my chair. Mind sharing what you're paying for it?

Boucher
11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
There was a little confusion on this point. Apparrently the MSC regular price is $307.73 Some discount applied becomes $230.80. My cost probably + sales tax $261.74 charged to credit card. I have been wanting one for a good while and I could never get budget in snyc with my want list. I hope these are as good as I have been told. They are sure hard to find. It is not easy to determine what one wants. The wheel that I ordered CB100TB99 1/8

I will post some pictures and my findings re its use tomorrow.

DICKEYBIRD
11-23-2009, 10:12 AM
Ouch, I was afraid of that.:(

I've got a couple hundred and a half in my hobby kitty but I'm leaning towards an R8/ER32 set and closer nut for a homemade ER32 lathe chuck instead. I was hoping to find a CBN wheel for about a hundred but it looks like that's not about to happen.

davidfe
11-23-2009, 10:49 AM
If I had been talking to that person at Norton, I would have asked to be bumped up to her supervisor or someone who actually knew what they were doing.

I do his often. I also do it in the case when the HELP person was
doing a great job. Need to support them and make a point of
telling the supervisor.

Boucher
11-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Well the UPS truck was here and the anticipation of sucess turned to disappointment when I opened the package. The CB 100 T B99 1/8 part was right but it was the wrong wheel. Did not feel like starting the process to return it today.

Questions for those using CBN, What type wheel do you have? What type grinder is it on? Where did you get it?

oldtiffie
11-23-2009, 07:16 PM
I am curious at to why you didn't buy or did you consider a diamond wheel at those prices. Some of the Chinese ones here in OZ are not too bad for the price.

I buy my Norton/St.Gobain wheels - usually all - from a local tool shop (a good one).

Norton is hard to beat as the balance is really good and too much dressing is expensive on a CBN wheel and not really practical on a diamond wheel.

Many - but not all - surface grinders have balancing hubs but very few tool & cutter grinders do.

Norton has an excellent range and a very good "on line guide" for the selection process among a range of options.

http://www.nortonindustrial.com/uploadedFiles/SGindnortonabrasives/Documents/Catalog_PDFs/NortonCatalog-DiamondCBN-Products.pdf

http://www.nortonindustrial.com/DiamondCBN-Wheels.aspx

Norton is now owned by a French company - St. Gobain - who really are very good.
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=st.gobain&meta=&aq=2&oq=st.go

Boucher
11-23-2009, 08:27 PM
I have a Diamond wheel for grinding carbide. It works great. I wanted this to grind HSS. There have been several posts over time that say that CBN is the way to go for roughing HSS. I can get it done with Al Oxide wheels but was looking for a faster/less mess alternative. I use a lot of insert type lathe tools but I still prefer HSS for many of my projects.