PDA

View Full Version : HF Impact Sockets

snowman
11-24-2009, 10:31 PM
Anybody used them? Are they decent quality?

I know that the word quality and HF shouldn't really be combined, but for the amount that I actually use them (blue moon), I don't need to go out and buy a set of snap on.

I just want to make sure they aren't going to strip the flats off the nuts.

Ken_Shea
11-24-2009, 10:37 PM
Some here, insist they are as good as Snap-On
Especially when used with the HF Impact gun :D

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=37599&highlight=HF+Impact+sockets

true temper
11-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Hate to say it :o but I have been using them for years on heavy equipment. Never had a problem, using on IR 244 and IR 231 guns. Would buy again in a heartbeat.;)

Ken_Shea
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Hate to say it :o but I have been using them for years on heavy equipment. Never had a problem, using on IR 244 and IR 231 guns. Would buy again in a heartbeat.;)

Actually, that seems to be the consensus on them.

As soon as I wear out my set of Snap On I am going to buy a set :D

Tobias-B
11-24-2009, 11:02 PM
Not overly impressed with fit and finish, I have yet to hurt one.
And I try. I DO wear goggles when abusing them, tho...

t

gnm109
11-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah, I've got 'em in inch and metric. They're OK. I never had a set of Craftsman, Matco or Snap-on to compare but I've had mine for 15 years and most of them have been used a lot. Can't complain.

I use the larger ones on wheel nuts all of the time with an impact to remove and also a torque wrench to install and nothing has broken yet.

gregl
11-24-2009, 11:18 PM
My son was ASE and BMW certified and he had a set next to all his Snap-On and he beat the crap out of his HF sockets for many years and they are still good.

true temper
11-24-2009, 11:20 PM
I forgot I have a HF bud wheel socket for my 1" drive impact, use it 8 or 10 times a year been good for 10 years.

Bill Pace
11-24-2009, 11:38 PM
And aside from the impacts that I cant seem to tear up no matter what I throw at them, I got one of their 50$ 3/4 'sets' - the sockets, a ratchet, couple extens and a breaker bar. The breaker bar promptly broke! so I just started using the ratchet ... I was running 2 and 3 5 ton single axle trucks and kept these sockets for them - mostly changing tires. I had a 5 foot cheater pipe and would put that on the ratchet and jump up and down on it to break the lugs - I used that thing till I got out of that business - about 8 years - and its still a perfectly functional ratchet and sockets!!

madman
11-25-2009, 11:12 AM
I bought a Fitted in a Case set and have been using them with air impacts Johnson bars with 8 foot pipes on the end No Breakages or rounded corners Yet. Seem Durable. One of the Few chinese tools allowed in my shop.

airsmith282
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
i never used them yet, i usually buy mastercraft , but iam going to get a set form princess auto my buddy says they are solid so i trust him and they are cheaper then master craft and well made to..

i have been usiing also regular sockets from my master craft and stanly black chrom set for now with my impact tools and no problems there either

914Wilhelm
11-25-2009, 01:57 PM
I've split a HF impact socket changing tires and broken the worm of a 24" adjustable wrench putting a ball on my truck (I'm not that big). I 've broken 10x the tools from Sears. When I take a broken hand tool back to HF they cheerfully hand me a new one. Can't say the same of Sears lately.

Tom, New to the board and a newbie

Your Old Dog
11-25-2009, 03:23 PM
I've got a set and used them with my 1/2" drive air tool for over 5 years with no issues. I've also had them crammed in my 20 hydraulic shop press.