View Full Version : Carbide Bit Confusion

10-10-2003, 06:08 PM
I need to drill a partial #54 hole into a knife blade that I made out of ATS-34 stainless. The blade has been hardened to 60RC. Looking at my Enco & KBC catalogs, the only solid carbide bits I see that are this small, are specified only for materials other that steel(i.e.,cast iron,bronze, alum.). I was under the impression that solid carbide would cut through anything. They also have the "HiRoc" series, which is designed for steel, but it does not go down to a #54 size. I am wondering if cobalt will do the job? Any help appreciated! Thanks!
Chris S.

[This message has been edited by cds (edited 10-10-2003).]

10-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Gack! I think you're going to need a laser.

10-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Might want to try a solid carbide, straight flute drill. Travers has house brand or MA Ford. For heat treated alloys harder than Rc 50, nickel-chrome and stainless, bearing steels and high temperature alloys.

10-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Thanks. That looks like what I will need! I was sure somebody had to carry them!

10-11-2003, 02:18 AM

As long as you drill a flat surface and have the knife secured in a vise so it cannot move then the solid carbide PC drills will go through it easily. Travers, J & L Industrial, and KBC sell these for under $10.

Note: they are exceptionally fragile and cannot stand any side thrust. Spin the little bastard as fast as you can (20,000+rpm is prefered) and be gentle - it will go through it like a hot knife through butter. I use them to remove taps for people.

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 10-11-2003).]