X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darryl
    • Jan 2003

forum threads- multiple pages

Is it just me or are most of the threads which haven't progressed to multiple pages showing up as 2 pages, 3 pages, -
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-
  • dp
    • Mar 2005

Got an example?

Comment

• Frank Ford
      • Dec 2003

Over three pages, I think there's an inverse relationship between length and value. . .
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

• darryl
        • Jan 2003

Ok, now it's not doing that.

So now I don't have an example, but what I was seeing is this- I go to the site, General is what I have bookmarked, so there I am. First posting is 'how to post pics, etc. That is multiple pages, and you can go to them. Fine. Next thread might have only two postings, but it might show (1, 2, 3...last page). Click on 2 or 3 or last page and you go to page 1 which might be all there is so far, say one or two posts, or maybe 15 if that still fits on the first page.

Go to next thread down, it would be the same thing. There might be more than one page to the thread, or maybe not, but the (1,2, ...last page) would still be there.

Not a big deal, but confusing as you expect there to be those pages when they aren't there.

Funny how for the past several days it was like that, and just now since I posted the topic about it, it's 'fixed'.

Honestly, I haven't been smoking anything-
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• Evan
          • May 2003

Since the big switch a while ago the performance has been a lot worse. There also seems to be some transparent caching going on near the server that is screwing up the appearance vs submission time of postings and even the post counts.

When I posted my recent thread on machining PET-G after half an hour it was still showing no views even when I opened it in another browser. When I then went in to look not only were there 24 views when I came back out but their was already a reply that didn't show up at all until I checked.

What ever was done has resulted in a big reduction in usability. Over half the time when I go to make a reply it just times out instead of responding. That only happens to the replies page. The rest of the pages eventually load but it sometimes takes several minutes.

Another thing, posts do not always appear at the time they are submitted. Frequently when I check a thread, perhaps make a reply and come back later there is another post before mine that wasn't there when I last checked, yet it should have been.
          Last edited by Evan; 11-27-2009, 05:30 PM.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• dp
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Evan
            Since the big switch a while ago the performance has been a lot worse. There also seems to be some transparent caching going on near the server that is screwing up the appearance vs submission time of postings and even the post counts.
            I've noticed some time related surprises - a thread you started recently showed up rather suddenly and already had a couple pages or replies, for example.

Comment

• Evan
              • May 2003

Ok, so I posted the electropolishing thread at 6:53. An hour later it was still showing just one view which is a reply. I opened it in Opera, same thing. At 7:58 I check one more time and suddenly there are 42 views.

Something is definitely fishy. The problem is to find out where the caching is taking place.

Comment

• Ken_Shea
                • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Frank Ford
                Over three pages, I think there's an inverse relationship between length and value. . .
                ha-ha, that's good Frank

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

Now, 45 minutes later it still shows 42 views. What is up with this?

Comment

• Ken_Shea
                    • Aug 2006

Now, 45 minutes later it still shows 42 views. What is up with this?
                    Well, my very exciting "What's under the head of a air compressor" only has 37 views

Comment

• Evan
                      • May 2003

That isn't the point. It seems to be changing only once per hour. It just jumped from 42 to 80 views. If the full updating of the BBS is only being delivered once per hour it makes it very difficult to hold an orderly discussion.

Comment

• Ken_Shea
                        • Aug 2006

That isn't the point. It seems to be changing only once per hour. It just jumped from 42 to 80 views. If the full updating of the BBS is only being delivered once per hour it makes it very difficult to hold an orderly discussion.
                        I wasn't making a point Evan, just having fun.

Comment

• dp
                          • Mar 2005

But this thread is updating regularly, no?

Comment

• Evan
                            • May 2003

That seems to be because posting to the page forces a cache update since the size changes and that also updates the page views.

Comment

• tattoomike68

this place is funky but damn fun, I still like to tell don at PM to eAT MY POO.

Comment

Working...
                              X