PDA

View Full Version : How to build an indexer??

outback
12-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I would like to build a CNC indexer as the 4th axis and wondering if anyone has made one or ideas on how to make one.

First thought is to have a stepper motor on a rotary table but what about backlash?

I'm thinking about making an indexer where a stepper motor would be direct drive. No backlash . To lock the indexer in position, I was thinking about installing a brake system so the stepper would not do all of the holding.

Does anyone have some better ideas???
Jim

Sparky_NY
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
It is very common to use a rotary table and a stepper motor. I have done it twice. A good rotary table will have backlash adjustment and it can be adjusted down to near nothing.. Vertex is probably the most used brand for cnc'ing.

It works very nice.

kf2qd
12-08-2009, 10:08 PM
Could build a nice indexer from a brushless servo or a stepper and a 40:1 or 50:1 planetary gearbox. Would be plenty stiff, just put your adapter on the shaft.

Got looking in my juk and found a 10;1 gearbox... Now I have to find the right stepper (in another box) and then make a controller.

Rigger
12-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Why don't you contact John Stevenson, I believe he does these for a living and also supplies conversion parts to others who sell kits.

Rigger.