View Full Version : How to build an indexer??

12-07-2009, 02:19 PM
I would like to build a CNC indexer as the 4th axis and wondering if anyone has made one or ideas on how to make one.

First thought is to have a stepper motor on a rotary table but what about backlash?

I'm thinking about making an indexer where a stepper motor would be direct drive. No backlash . To lock the indexer in position, I was thinking about installing a brake system so the stepper would not do all of the holding.

Does anyone have some better ideas???

12-07-2009, 06:37 PM
It is very common to use a rotary table and a stepper motor. I have done it twice. A good rotary table will have backlash adjustment and it can be adjusted down to near nothing.. Vertex is probably the most used brand for cnc'ing.

It works very nice.

12-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Could build a nice indexer from a brushless servo or a stepper and a 40:1 or 50:1 planetary gearbox. Would be plenty stiff, just put your adapter on the shaft.

Got looking in my juk and found a 10;1 gearbox... Now I have to find the right stepper (in another box) and then make a controller.

12-09-2009, 05:09 AM
Why don't you contact John Stevenson, I believe he does these for a living and also supplies conversion parts to others who sell kits.