PDA

View Full Version : Ebay moan

Timleech
12-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Maybe this has been covered before, but it's new to me.
They're making it harder all the time for buyer & seller to communicate, now it's worse than ever.
'Won' something the other day, & wanted to drop a brief note to the vendor to let him know there would be a few days delay as I had to transfer some funds. Nothing outside ebay payment deadlines, just a bit of common courtesy.
If you go to 'ask seller a question', basically you now can't do that after the auction close until you've paid. I tried 'ask seller for total' or whatever they call it, because that allows you to include a message. Trouble is, that message isn't obvious if you're not looking for it, and they clearly didn't see it as I got a standard 'invoice' straight back with no acknowledgement.

The only other way round it is to 'ask a question' about another item, if they have any other auctions current.

My next job is a grumpy email to ebay!

Tim

aboard_epsilon
12-09-2009, 04:24 PM
you can leave the seller a message if paying by paypal ..but only if you dont go through ebays route to paypal.

all the best.markj

Timleech
12-09-2009, 04:47 PM
you can leave the seller a message if paying by paypal ..but only if you dont go through ebays route to paypal.

all the best.markj

I've just looked, can't see any way to leave a message except with the payment. Maybe I've missed something?

Tim

gnm109
12-09-2009, 04:50 PM
You should be able to ask a question before, during or after the auction. There is a link on the upper right of each listing "Ask seller a Question". Then click on "other' when the box comes up.

lazlo
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM
I've just looked, can't see any way to leave a message except with the payment. Maybe I've missed something?

I think they've changed that recently. They're making it harder and harder to complete a transaction, apparently in an attempt to preclude outside deals.

You should be able to ask a question before, during or after the auction. There is a link on the upper right of each listing "Ask seller a Question". Then click on "other' when the box comes up.

The "Other" option doesn't come up anymore, at least for me. That's new in the last week, it seems. So you can contact the seller before and during the auction, but you can't contact them after the auction, until you pay.

websterz
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
The "You've Won" e-mail comes thru Ebay but it is attached to the seller's email address. Just open that, hit Reply, and you're good to go. Works for me every time.

Willy
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM

I had a similar situation arise in the last week.
Auction was over, I was out of town when it ended. I checked to see if the item was sold, and it wasn't.
I clicked on the link to the item in my "watched items" and contacted the seller to see if he was going to re-list the item.
Here's what I got in the "contact seller" link.

In our ongoing efforts to make eBay as safe as possible, we have added this security precaution to prevent inappropriate use of our site. This isn't your password and won't change your account information.
Please enter the numbers shown below and click Send.

Although the item number did not appear in the "contact seller" link, I was able to get in touch with him after the auction ended and give him the details for the item I was looking for,
But yes something new to thwart outside sales I'm sure.

Timleech
12-09-2009, 05:22 PM
The "You've Won" e-mail comes thru Ebay but it is attached to the seller's email address. Just open that, hit Reply, and you're good to go. Works for me every time.

Some do, some don't, this one came from 'ebay@ebay.co.uk' so no bl**dy use at all.

Tim

lazlo
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
The "You've Won" e-mail comes thru Ebay but it is attached to the seller's email address. Just open that, hit Reply, and you're good to go.

It doesn't anymore.

The "You've Won" email now comes from Ebay@Ebay.com:

Sent: Tuesday, December 01, 2009 10:28 PM
To: Lazlo
Subject: You won this item on eBay: 3 lbs of Aluminum Flux, foundry, sand casting 320453734799

eBay sent this message to Lazlo.

Congratulations, the item is yours!

Hi Robert,

Congratulations on winning this item! The next step is to pay the seller. Check out and pay with PayPal to get your item within 3-4 days.

3 lbs of Aluminum Flux, foundry, sand casting

Sale price: $17.36
Estimated delivery: 3-4 business days
Shipping & Handling: US Postal Service Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box 0
Local Pickup 0
Seller: XXXXXXXX

EVguru
12-09-2009, 06:11 PM
I had this situation just a couple of days ago. I've been winning stuff listed by someone over a number of days. I obviously don't want to pay untill every auction is over. The seller kept sending me invoices and it took me a while to work out how to contact them.

Go to the sellers feedback page and you can still contact them via a link from there.

It won't be long before ebay block that route off too.

gnm109
12-09-2009, 08:54 PM
I don't know what the problem could be. I sent two messages to eBay sellers in the past two days and got responses on both of them already. I used the link that says "Ask seller a Question". Then on the next page I bypassed the set of questions and went down to the box that says "Contact Seller". Then I got a page with a box to write the question. There's also a box to have a copy sent to one's own email.

I'm aware that sometime in the past year or so, they made all of the mail go through the eBay system. Are some of you folks that are having trouble in Canada or UK?

I can't think of any reason why ebay would want to prevent potential bidders from asking questions of sellers as long as it goes through their system.

Timleech
12-10-2009, 02:56 AM
I don't know what the problem could be. I sent two messages to eBay sellers in the past two days and got responses on both of them already. I used the link that says "Ask seller a Question". Then on the next page I bypassed the set of questions and went down to the box that says "Contact Seller". Then I got a page with a box to write the question. There's also a box to have a copy sent to one's own email.

I'm aware that sometime in the past year or so, they made all of the mail go through the eBay system. Are some of you folks that are having trouble in Canada or UK?

I can't think of any reason why ebay would want to prevent potential bidders from asking questions of sellers as long as it goes through their system.

The answer is a cr*ppily designed page, actually IMO designed to lead you away from asking a direct question.
I've just had an email back from ebay, where they point out that if you scroll down to the bottom of the 'ask a question' page there's a button for sending a message directly. trouble is, it's not obvious that there's anything to scroll down for!
Open the 'ask seller a question' page, you get the 'pay first' stuff and the rest of the page (half the page on my screen!) is blank, it looks as though that's all there is if you don't spot the scroll bar and you don't expect to see a scroll bar when half the page is empty :rolleyes:

Tim

lazlo
12-10-2009, 10:57 AM
I don't know what the problem could be. I sent two messages to eBay sellers in the past two days and got responses on both of them already. I used the link that says "Ask seller a Question". Then on the next page I bypassed the set of questions and went down to the box that says "Contact Seller".

Right, that works during the auction, but they've now removed the link to "Contact Seller" after you win the auction. It doesn't show up again until you pay. Like I said, this is all new in the last couple of weeks.

Are you seeing something different?

Paul Alciatore
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
The answer is a cr*ppily designed page, actually IMO designed to lead you away from asking a direct question.
I've just had an email back from ebay, where they point out that if you scroll down to the bottom of the 'ask a question' page there's a button for sending a message directly. trouble is, it's not obvious that there's anything to scroll down for!
Open the 'ask seller a question' page, you get the 'pay first' stuff and the rest of the page (half the page on my screen!) is blank, it looks as though that's all there is if you don't spot the scroll bar and you don't expect to see a scroll bar when half the page is empty :rolleyes:

Tim

Sounds like the way they "hide" rest rooms in many large stores. By law, they must have public rest rooms available but the wonderful law makers did not specify that they must be easy to find. So they hide them where no one would think of looking. That way, they don't have to clean them as often or restock supplies as much.

I am never surprised at the human ability to make things difficult is a dollar or even a penny is to be saved.

gnm109
12-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Right, that works during the auction, but they've now removed the link to "Contact Seller" after you win the auction. It doesn't show up again until you pay. Like I said, this is all new in the last couple of weeks.

Are you seeing something different?

It's still there on a Buy it Now item that I just received. I can still ask questions before, during and after. Have you folks not been paying your eBay bills? LOL.

Timleech
12-10-2009, 02:21 PM
It's still there on a Buy it Now item that I just received. I can still ask questions before, during and after. Have you folks not been paying your eBay bills? LOL.

This is what I see:-

http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss38/Timleech_2009/ebayscrn-2.jpg

Tim