PDA

View Full Version : Model Engineers Workshop.

John Stevenson
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Speaking to David Clark the editor of MEW a month or so ago he told me that they were well on their way to scan in all the early copies of MEW but they were not sure how to market these.

Just before he went to the Sandown Show which is on this weekend he then told me that it was now public that this archive would be released on a yearly subscription basis for £29 per year.

No firm date has been set but it is imminent, sooner than later.
I'll update this thread when I know more.

How about HSM going the same way George ?
The president has been set that if the mag is scanned in it's entirety it gets by any copyright issues.

John S.

Mcgyver
12-11-2009, 06:19 PM
if you have his ear John, please mention to do it properly....meaning at a very high resolution. Storage is cheap and bandwidths are high.....nothing frustrates me more than someone who puts out a pdf where as soon as you zoom into to read the labels on a diagram or something you're looking at lego blocks. grrrrrr the idiot should be fired for incompetency....and why's it often IT firms who should know better who are the culprits?

HSM has sort of done the same through the project books....not the same as scanned back issues, but at least the content stays in print

lazlo
12-11-2009, 06:46 PM
if you have his ear John, please mention to do it properly....meaning at a very high resolution.

Unfortunately, MyHobbyStore's (the current Model Engineer publisher) official PDF scans are not high resolution. It's hard to read the prints from a printout or on-screen. I don't know if they're intentionally down-res'ing them, or if they just haven't figured out how to properly scan magazine articles.

johnnyd
12-11-2009, 06:48 PM
I sure hope he sets it up so us folks on this side of the "pond" can partake without a lot of trouble.
Few things are more frustrating than finding something that you really want & then not be able to get it due to "international/political" restrictions. :(

lazlo
12-11-2009, 06:52 PM
For those who aren't aware of what Johnny is referring to, MyHobbyStore has a subscriber web page with additional content and the last 3 years of magazine articles, but only direct subscribers in the UK can access the web site.

I've been a Model Engineering Workshop subscriber for 3 years now, and I don't have access to the "subscriber only" web site, and according to David Clark's brief missive last month, I probably never will. Neither will the Canadian or Australian subscribers.

To be honest, it annoys me more than a little, because the MyHobbyStore "subscriber only" web site has a database indexed by a subscriber number. The international subscribers also have this number printed on each Royal Air Mail envelope, but they have apparently chosen not to allow access to overseas subscribers. Very nice :mad:

John Stevenson
12-11-2009, 07:17 PM
Unfortunately, MyHobbyStore's (the current Model Engineer publisher) official PDF scans are not high resolution. It's hard to read the prints from a printout or on-screen. I don't know if they're intentionally down-res'ing them, or if they just haven't figured out how to properly scan magazine articles.

Robert they are high res if you view them on screen.
They use some reader technology, a VCAB tecnology using flexpage, a lot like the J&L catalogue where you can turn the pages

When you first look at a page it's blurred

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flexpage1.jpg

But in a second or so it becomes clear.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/flexpage2.jpg

And is quite readable on line.
If you print off to a pdf printer you get something inbetween, certainly not as good as the second pic but better than the first.

George Bulliss
12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I have had a lot of mail asking about putting the back issues into pdf format for sale. We realize that the magazines will need to be offered electronically eventually, but I make no promises on the speed at which this will be implemented. Since we are primarily a printing company, the magazines have always been viewed as a way to help pay for the presses and the move to electronic sales is not a high priority.

There is a great deal of value sitting in the archives of VP and I think that the management may be receptive to mining this sometime in the future. The present economic climate has the company focused on the high return areas of our business, and the magazines donít fall in that category.

We have been organizing and archiving some of the more recent issues for the possibility of future sales, so it will happen, eventually, I think.

George

lazlo
12-11-2009, 07:33 PM
John, that looks great! I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to print or download the articles without hacking the web page, but that's well worth 29 pounds.

George, I'm going to get a lot of rotten tomatoes for saying this, but I would strongly recommend not releasing PDF's. Many magazines, for example, Nuts & Volts, Circuit Cellar, Popular Science, ... are simultaneously published by PDF, and they instantly show up on Bitttorrent.

uncle pete
12-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Lazlo, I'm a Canadian subscriber to both M.E. and M.E.W. I can view the subscriber only content but you'll have to email My Hobby Store with your North American subscriber no. They will in turn issue you with a number that will work to view the subscriber only content. The new M.E. website does have some teething problems but I'm sure David will work things out.

Pete

lazlo
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Lazlo, I'm a Canadian subscriber to both M.E. and M.E.W. I can view the subscriber only content but you'll have to email My Hobby Store with your North American subscriber no.

Really -- that's great news!?? I sent them an email last month, and got an automated email that said that overseas subscribers wouldn't have access to to the subscriber-only webpage. Sir John even interceded, and there was a comment in last month's editorial that said something to the effect that overseas subscribers would not have access. I guess they got enough hate-mail? :)

Sleazey
12-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Same here, I'm in Houston, TX and I sent them my U.S. customer number/subscription number via email, and they sent me back the proper number to use on the website when registering. Now I have access to all of the subscriber only stuff.

John Stevenson
12-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Just been on the subscriber only web page and before there were two boxes, one for membership number for MEW and one for ME.
I only subscribe to MEW so I have only one number and can't see any ME content.

Now there are 4 boxes
MEW
ME
MEW [ digital ]
ME [ digital ]

So it looks like they are getting the infrastructure in already.

h12721
12-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Sleazey,

I wonder what your last issue of ME and MEW was?

For me the last issue for Model Engineer was number 4362
and for Model Engineer Workshop was number 156.
That puts me back to October.

I just wonder when the next Issues would arrive.
I know they switched Distributors from the USA to Canada.
Hilmar

DFMiller
12-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I think that digital archives are the best way to go. I have too many hobbies and too may subscriptions. I need the room.
I think if we all support George, VP will eventually be swayed. I have one of my Ham Radio magazine QST on CD from the early days I think. I moved them last night and its a small pile of CD's. With DVD or Blueray it would be a smaller pile.

andy_b
12-11-2009, 11:00 PM
George, I'm going to get a lot of rotten tomatoes for saying this, but I would strongly recommend not releasing PDF's. Many magazines, for example, Nuts & Volts, Circuit Cellar, Popular Science, ... are simultaneously published by PDF, and they instantly show up on Bitttorrent.

I'm with lazlo. I'm not sure how much it would impact revenues if people could get the PDFs for free, but I'm sure there are some folks who would do it. The old "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" syndrome.

andy b.

Mcgyver
12-11-2009, 11:15 PM
I'm with lazlo. I'm not sure how much it would impact revenues if people could get the PDFs for free, but I'm sure there are some folks who would do it. The old "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free" syndrome.

andy b.

i would agree, another thing that happens is the value of collecting is eroded. Sometimes you might keep a subscription up during a time when you're not that into it because you don't want a gap - knowing you can easily backfil with e copies hurts that buying motivation....or.... the cost of subscribing is to a small amount offset by the knowledge that you can sell a collection. e copies remove the scarcity and perhaps the value of a collection, something that demotivates subscribers

Steelmaster
12-12-2009, 01:38 AM
I am in to woodworking as well as metal working.

One of my favourite magazines is Fine Woodworking, but it is becoming quite expensive to buy here in Oz.

A couple of years ago I switched to an on-line subscription to Fine Woodworking at a cost of $US34.95 pa. This gives me not only access to the latest issue as soon as it is published (all the articles are downloadable in very high quality pdf form) but also to all the articles published over the years.

As the receipt of MEW (don't read ME, not in to trains!) is quite flaky in Oz, as I see it has been in the US, they would do well to emulate the Taunton/Fine Woodworking model.

Circlip
12-12-2009, 04:52 AM
Many on our side of the pond, although "Subscribers" by having and ordered copies as standard with their local newsagents ( Supporting local trade) don't get the subcriber only deal. Despite being asked "How much for copies on CD/DVD the yearly subscription is a good repeat business ploy, bit like having a dental appointment. A Dentist can keep filling a tooth, but once it's extracted the revenue source is gone.

Regards Ian.

ptjw7uk
12-12-2009, 05:04 AM
I have never understood the cretins who put stuff on torrent sites they have never fully understood the economics of life, somebody has to produce the copy in the first place and if there is no revenue to keep it going then everyone looses!
I can go some way in that some areas of manufacture think copyright etc is a licence to print money ( microsoft to name one) but in the end there will be nothing left thats new.

Peter

John Stevenson
12-12-2009, 05:41 AM
Sleazey,

I wonder what your last issue of ME and MEW was?

For me the last issue for Model Engineer was number 4362
and for Model Engineer Workshop was number 156.
That puts me back to October.

I just wonder when the next Issues would arrive.
I know they switched Distributors from the USA to Canada.
Hilmar

Can't comment on ME but the January 2010 copy of MEW was put on the website last night and it dropped thru the door this morning.
This is a subscriber account.

Limy Sami
12-12-2009, 06:12 AM
Don't know about scanning resolution etc etc, but if you contribute an article that's been agreed with *the editor*, for an agreed fee, passed by said editor, and published.

I wish you the best of luck getting paid.

*NOT the current editor*

mmambro
12-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Lazlo, I'm a Canadian subscriber to both M.E. and M.E.W. I can view the subscriber only content but you'll have to email My Hobby Store with your North American subscriber no. They will in turn issue you with a number that will work to view the subscriber only content. The new M.E. website does have some teething problems but I'm sure David will work things out.

Pete

I have access as well, after emailing as mentioned in one of the editorials and as Pete describes.

Mike

davidfe
12-12-2009, 03:41 PM
if you have his ear John, please mention to do it properly....meaning at a very high resolution. Storage is cheap and bandwidths are high.....nothing frustrates me more than someone who puts out a pdf where as soon as you zoom into to read the labels on a diagram or something you're looking at lego blocks. grrrrrr the idiot should be fired for incompetency....and why's it often IT firms who should know better who are the culprits?

HSM has sort of done the same through the project books....not the same as scanned back issues, but at least the content stays in print

Folks,
I am a subscriber.

I have downloaded several. I am at this point interested in some
of the models.

The scans are not ready for kindergarden. So sad.

Great articles and drawings. BUT, the photos are -5 on a scale of one to 5 (1 - 5).

I wanted to see photos and have been spoiled by the great coverage of shows in the US and UK.

But, they missed the boat, the train, the airplane etc. with this
implementation of the idea.

There are lots of great individual articles and the photos are fine.

Just an FYI.

Paint me disappointed!

John Stevenson
12-12-2009, 03:59 PM
David,
Sorry but can't see what you are disappointed about. ??

You are a subscriber so you should have the hard paper copy and the online copy is a freebie and is there more as a backup and quick reference.

If you are looking at digital copies you don't have the paper copy for that technically is a no no.

Your subscription is for copies you have are will be entitled to in the future.

The fact that Myhobbiestore have made from 122 to 159 available on the web is a bonus.
Anyone who signed on at say issue 140 can technically download from 122 to 139

Moaning about quality of something you haven't bought [ if this is the case ] is a bit cheeky.

RKW
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
I think it should have been done a long time ago. I got tired of waiting and asking. I have since purchased someone else's collection and will scan them in myself for my own use since they will be easier to access for me. I think it has been lost revenue for the company. Decent people will not always necessarily copy/share such material, since I know that has been the primary concern.

While we are on the subject of suggestions, I would love to see the mag go back to b/w rather than color. There is something about the older issues that I really love because of this. It just seems to have the right feel for this type of work.

Keith

I have had a lot of mail asking about putting the back issues into pdf format for sale. We realize that the magazines will need to be offered electronically eventually, but I make no promises on the speed at which this will be implemented. Since we are primarily a printing company, the magazines have always been viewed as a way to help pay for the presses and the move to electronic sales is not a high priority.

There is a great deal of value sitting in the archives of VP and I think that the management may be receptive to mining this sometime in the future. The present economic climate has the company focused on the high return areas of our business, and the magazines donít fall in that category.

We have been organizing and archiving some of the more recent issues for the possibility of future sales, so it will happen, eventually, I think.

George

planeman
12-13-2009, 10:30 AM
You might want to tell the editor to consider what Popular Mechanics, Popular Science, and so many other magazines have done with their back issues. They put them on Google Books. Google splits the advertising revenue with the magazine and I believe Google will do the scanning. Considering the worldwide exposure it might help the new subscriptions some too.

Planeman

sch
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM
This digital edition seems worth looking into. I was one of the subscribers
that lost issue 130 when a few hundred # of bulk ship went astray in the
US a few years ago.

John Stevenson
12-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Steve,
#130 is on the website if you can get access to it, PM me if there is a problem.

MrSleepy
12-13-2009, 02:57 PM
David,

If you are looking at digital copies you don't have the paper copy for that technically is a no no.

Hi John

If its the case that you can't look at old issues...unless you have had them at some point..how do those new to this as a hobby get access to the old copies..

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a higher tariff for those who want access but didnt suscribe..

It also penalises those who didnt suscribe but just bought off the shelf.

cheers Rob

John Stevenson
12-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Hi John

If its the case that you can't look at old issues...unless you have had them at some point..how do those new to this as a hobby get access to the old copies..

Wouldn't it make more sense to have a higher tariff for those who want access but didnt suscribe..

It also penalises those who didnt suscribe but just bought off the shelf.

cheers Rob

Rob,
The fact that they have put 122 to 159 on the site is a bonus for any subscriber.
When the early editions come out because this is a charged for anyone can take advantage of it.
So for £29 you should get from 1 to 121, if you want later subscribing to the current issues will get you free access to 122 to 159 plus the future editions.

It does penalise any off the shelf buyers but how will the publishers know if you have bought enough to comply.
I must admit I used to buy off the shelf but got fedup of chasing back issues because they had either sold out or not bothered stocking that I went to subscription.

It actually saves money against shelf prices, I get them sooner and have less hassle.

phut-time
06-09-2010, 02:47 PM
As a long time subscriber to Home Shop Machinist, Machinists Workshop and Model Engineers Workshop, I was very curious to find this thread, although it appears to be dead for the last 6 months.

Similar complaint postings to Model Engineer and Model Engineers Workshop own forums have been experiencing censorship through locked and/or deleted threads along with blocking of related authors.

Apparently the publishers of ME and MEW will not permit any criticism of their fumbled efforts to extract more and more money from their existing customers through extra charges for existing services (digital issue archives) and premium subscription pricing for Americans and Canadians.

I am pleased that their reach is limited to their own forums and thanks for the opportunity to vent some steam.

Don Hill, Toronto, Canada.

John Stevenson
06-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Yes Don they have shot themselves in the foot.

There are two main issues with them at the moment.

One is the Canadian and American subscriptions costs a lot more than UK and Rest of World [ ROW ] plus the US and Canada get theirs a lot later than anyone else after having paid more.

I know Neil Armstrong was the first American to go abroad but surely the US is part of ROW ?

Second issue is the reader they use, the original one was VCAB and you could print all pages off. They have now changed from VCAB to Emag which is lower resolution and limits you to printing one page at a time.

Now if they had done this in the first place, and they were told that it was possible to save a pdf, I don't think anyone would have been the wiser but to change readers in midstream when punters have paid for what they saw at the time only to have this bait and switch pulled is a bit strong for many.

Anyone making any derogatory comments on how they feel and even hinting that they are going to not bother resubscribing gets their post pulled [ me included ]

It's a bit of a big brother attitude if only the people at My Knob Is Sore sorry My Hobby Store were big enough to wear long trousers.
probably why their knobs are sore ?

Mcgyver
06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Second issue is the reader they use, the original one was VCAB and you could print all pages off. They have now changed from VCAB to Emag which is lower resolution and limits you to printing one page at a time.

the viewing is at a lower resolution? There is nothing more frustrating than trying to zoom in on some crucial detail of a pic or drawing only to be confronted with black and white squares. Memory and bandwidth are so cheap everything technical should be done at high resolution, if not the highest than at least high enough that all printed details are equally visible on the e-version.

too bad....it was on the to do list, subscribe that is, but lower res and a pita to print (to take to couch, throne or shop) dissuade.

jackary
06-09-2010, 04:07 PM
But there is no point in complaining because it will not be noticed in the magazine, only positive comments get printed.
Alan

John Stevenson
06-09-2010, 04:28 PM
The new mag # 165 has hit the decks today, not on the web site as yet, just checked.

Scribe a line AKA Postbag has 10 letters this issue, one on specialised lubricants which is a thinly veiled advert from the poster, a lubricants company and eight letters called reason to subscribe 1 to 8.

The last letter was entitled Reasons not to subscribe #1
which I would like to post in it's entirety.

Reasons not to subscribe 1
LETTER DELETED
I did get one more email complaining about content but as the gentleman concerned was not renewing his subscription, I see no reason to publish it here as he won't be able to read it.

So George if you are reading this do you want a job in public relations in the UK, as many pies and warm beer as you can handle, no I'm not buying ;)

matt newsholme
06-09-2010, 04:32 PM
But there is no point in complaining because it will not be noticed in the magazine, only positive comments get printed.
Alan

latest P-take is this months letters page. Following a letter an issue or two back that dared to criticise the content, the letters page this month consists almost entirely of letters praising the content. 2 problems with that. firstly some of the letters are from ex-contributors so hardly unbiased. The second problem is that the one letter that doesnt go along with 'all is well' line has been replaced with the words 'Letter deleted' followed by a snide comment from the editor that, seeing as the person who wrote the letter said they werent renewing their subscription, there was no point printing their letter as they would be unable to read it. :rolleyes:

George Bulliss
06-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Iím learning all sorts of new things in this thread. I may have to bookmark it so I know how to handle the criticism that will come with the rollout of our electronic version. We are moving forward on that, but since everything is still being discussed, that is all Iím going to say on that subject.

The 9:1 ratio of good to bad letters is pretty good; certainly better than I average.

The job offer sounds great John, but I may pass on this one. I have so much crap accumulated that even a move across town would be a monumental undertaking.

George

John Stevenson
06-10-2010, 07:59 AM
The 9:1 ratio of good to bad letters is pretty good; certainly better than I average.

George
Shouldn't that read, The PUBLISHED 9 :1 ratio of good to bad.

If they are so heavy handed with the red pen on the forum it doesn't bode well for the published page.

How many times do you have to intercede on this page ?

If you got endless letters saying you were being charged 1/3 as much as a reader in OZ, which is further and got the mag 4 WEEKS after them would you look at why or just delete the post ?

They are also on a sticky wicket and it's been pointed out to them.

On the digital download page it says this:-

Digital Issues

Please Note: Due to some older archives, pages may appear to be out of sequence. Any missing pages are advertisements only.

To keep right side of copyright laws it clearly states that any electronic copy has to be an exact copy of the printed matter at the time of publication.

National geographic wen to court over this and won because they copied the mag in it's entirety,

Allright two pies and 4 pints - best offer.

Circlip
06-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I'll second the 9:1 PRINTED theory.

In response to one of Sir Johns posts, I asked if the Adobe system they were using could in any way download a virus back onto our computers via a Flash Player problem, don't know how long that one was on the forum, but another member asked if anyone else had seen Circlips posting as it had mysteriously dissapeared. Posted on forum a thank you to the moderator for deleting it, that lasted about fifteen seconds. This happened on two threads, as another bone of contention is that despite over twelve months of many of us requesting that something be done to stop long E links running under a right hand column flashing Ad. banner and site timeouts while composing replies, nothing has altered.

My suggestion that inamongst, If we actually subscribed to the forum, would a solution be found as they seem to be able to find electronic gimmickry to annoy the members with?? -- Deleted.

NONE of Circlips postings now appear anywhere on the M/E site as I asked for all my postings and personal details to be deleted and the account closed.

Couldn't even get That right, had to go back and explain to them. Good old MBAS.

Again, if you're Thinking of subscribing £29 per annum per annum, at this point DON'T, as previously stated, the read quality is abysmal. Don't know if Sir Johns posting is still on with regards to the Adobe problem as they have probably regarded it as useful infomation.

Regards Ian.

At least George hasn't chucked me orft Here ---Yet :D

form_change
06-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I'll add my voice to the background of dissatisfaction. I've taken the decision to allow my subscriptions to ME and MEW to lapse and take a chance at picking up copies at the newsagent if I feel so moved. I'll probably be doing the same thing with the web subscription.
I started subscribing to MEW at around issue 90 but find these days I don't find much that is useful in the magazines. Interestingly, trolling through the archives there was lots earlier on in the piece but the emphasis now seems to increasingly be on lathes Myford size or smaller. I have written to the editor regarding some of the reasons I'm not happy (much the same as those expressed by others, here and in other places), but my criticisms have been rejected out of hand, so obviously I'm not the sort of customer they want...

Michael

BCGorak
07-12-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm one of those people who complained on the MEW forums. Despite the fact that my posts were polite and optimistic that the publishers would make things right, most of my posts/replies were deleted and those that weren't were delayed by 2 or 3 days before appearing on the site. Strangely, my posts were always visible to me if I was logged on, but not to others.

I was pretty excited about subscribing the the MEW digital archives until I actually saw the scan quality. It is pretty bad and, on some issues, the small type on the the drawings (i.e. the dimensions) are completely unreadable. Rather than addressing the problem they changed the reader to one that displays in even lower resolution. I actually sent a snail mail complaining about them changing the service 2 weeks after accepting my money and suggesting that they should offer a refund, but I received no reply.

After suffering through subscription snafus, first due to their NA distributor and then again when they switched distributors, MyHobbyStore's refusal to deal with either the overall quality of their digital editions nor respond to the complaints of their paying subscribers has made me decide to cease being a customer of theirs. I will not be renewing any of my subscriptions. It's a shame because they really do publish a first rate magazine. Fortunately my local public library is a subscriber to both of their publications which is where I will be reading them going forward and probably scanning them when they become available for loan.

What really irked me was when one of the website staff (can't remember who) stated, and I'm paraphrasing, that the digital archives were offered in low rez because they were not meant to allow people to build an inexpensive collection of back issues. If people needed a hi-rez version they were expected to spend more money to buy hard-copy back issues or published plans.

Not that I'm cheap - I paid 30 Pounds for my subscription to the digital archives, which is more than I paid for hi-rez digital copies of Wood Magazine, Popular Woodworking and Fine Woodworking. Paper, as a means of saving old editions, is just soooo 20th Century... :cool:

I am very much looking forward to purchasing digital editions of HSM and MW!

Thanks for listening to my rant...

Steve

John Stevenson
07-12-2010, 05:31 PM
I am very much looking forward to purchasing digital editions of HSM and MW!

Steve

Same here, I only found out recently that the run of HSM is only about the same as MEW, about 166 issues ?
I thought it had been running longer.

Come on George get your finger out :D if My Knob is Sore, sorry My Hobby Store can do it why can't Village Press.

Is this going to cost me more than a pint or seven ?

BCGorak
07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Is this going to cost me more than a pint or seven ?

In for a penny, in for a pound! For my birthday last month I sprung for all of the Metalworking and Projects books to a tune of over CAD$600. Now that I've had a chance to sit down and peruse them, I am not the least bit disappointed in the investment. As a self-professed infomaniac, I set aside money every month to satisfy my book and video addiction. :D Then there's the tools and materials budget... :eek:

Peter.
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound! For my birthday last month I sprung for all of the Metalworking and Projects books to a tune of over CAD$600. Now that I've had a chance to sit down and peruse them, I am not the least bit disappointed in the investment. As a self-professed infomaniac, I set aside money every month to satisfy my book and video addiction. :D Then there's the tools and materials budget... :eek:

Sounds like it doesn't leave much for the beer-fund :D

BCGorak
07-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Sounds like it doesn't leave much for the beer-fund :D
One of the advantages of not smoking and rarely drinking is having the extra cash to devote to the vices I'm truly passionate about. At least that's the excuse I keep giving SWMBO. As long as she keeps buying shoes I'm safe. ;)

SHADOW
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
John,

Reference your post about MEW issue 165 on 6/9/2010 "hit the decks today".

Mine showed up in the mid U.S. today, 7/12/2010.

The clipper ship keeps hitting the doldrums.

I renewed my VP subscriptions yesterday. Have no clue when the MEW ends, probably will find out a month after it expired.

I too would be interested in HSM, MW archives.

John Stevenson
07-13-2010, 04:12 AM
John,

Reference your post about MEW issue 165 on 6/9/2010 "hit the decks today".

Mine showed up in the mid U.S. today, 7/12/2010.

The clipper ship keeps hitting the doldrums.

I wonder if they send the ship clockwise round ? :D
That's why OZ gets theirs first ?

Whatever in this day and age it's pathetic.

A while ago when I was having a bit of a clearout of Model Engineers a guy from Canada contacted me and asked how much for the lot, by lot I mean a lot.
I told him that it wasn't relevant on pricing but shipping and i wasn't going into that.

Anyway to cut the story down he bought them and we loaded them onto an ISO pallet 1 metre x 1.2 metre had them shipped by DHL to Canada in 3 days, our cost this end was £120, about $180.

No idea what it cost in duty / import, at the Canadian end but it proves it can be done and that was a lot of magazines.

Weston Bye
07-13-2010, 06:29 AM
Come to think of it, I have most of the back issues for HSM, MW, Live Steam and obviously all of DM. Also even a few Modeltec and MEW. That amounts to only about half a lot, by John's pallet measure.

Circlip
07-13-2010, 10:50 AM
Anybody out there got a complete set of scans for "Model Maker" ??

Early British all encompassing mag.

http://vsrnonline.com/Mags/MM/MM_Index.htm#1951

Gave two feet away years ago that the recipient dumped when going through a divorce.

Can understand him dumping the wife, but irreplaceable info ?? Doh!

Regards Ian.

Edit. Looked back on MBAS M/E site and noticed they've put my postings back in but have been severely pruned to delete any criticism of MBAS.

Hobman
07-15-2017, 03:21 AM
Dear Members, I want to get the MEW above Issues (Nos. 164 to 200 ) in digital format.

Could anybody help me please and if so please let me know your terms and conditions ?

Regards

Rich Carlstedt
07-16-2017, 06:19 PM
I subscribed a few months ago to digital MEW in order to access a few issues I missed from my printed issues last year and in order to complete the info on a series of articles ---fill in the missing blanks..
After several months of frustration to get it started ( very much complicated by their "digital publisher" ) I was able to receive the monthly subscription, only to then find out that the archives to earlier issues did not exist, or the access requires Einstein level applications beyond my skill level . I just posted this request ( for archive access) on their website , so may know more in a short time. Neil seems very responsive, but the rest of the team is not. If I had known the archive was not available , I would not have subscribed for 2 years.

Rich

metalmagpie
07-16-2017, 11:05 PM
I couldn't make out a lot of the pictures in MEW even when I was a subscriber. Not to mention the slavish overuse of the passive voice. "My shoes were tied...".

metalmagpie

Rich Carlstedt
07-17-2017, 11:19 AM
Paydirt !----Hot news
The archive of past MEW issues is alive and well.
I got immediate help from a ME posting and now understand the location of the back issues.
When you subscribe, the Vendor "Pocket Magazines" handles the digital distribution of the issues you subscribe too. ( and only those !)
However you need to go to the Model Engineer website and sign in and it will recognize you as a digital subscriber.
Then you hit "magazines" at the top of the page in the green bar*and select MEW in the lower tab that appears.
So now I would say the digital subscription is worth the expense !
When you do that , the old issues appear for perusal ...and the quality is very good, so they are readable

Rich

* the green bar does not appear if you are not a subscriber !