PDA

View Full Version : HF tool bit grinder 46727

chuckinnc
12-11-2009, 09:00 PM
I picked up one of these today for 150 & 20% off coupon, grinder runs very well BUT! The manaul dosent say what type wheels are on it? It looks like
a greyish maybe a little green, it dosent say if its for HHS or carbide? Also the
thing went togather and runs great except for the tilt tables, they dont tilt even after cleaning up some burs, has anyone been able to make these tilt, if
so what needs to be done, also I would like to hear from anyone who has tips
on improvements for the tool bit grinder.

datsun280zxt
12-11-2009, 09:04 PM
do a search on this site, there are several threads dedicated to this grinder, and they'll answer all your questions and more. Discussions on the wheels, areas that can be re-worked, and so on...it's all there.

Fasttrack
12-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Yep yep - check out some of the old threads.

To get you started, that grayish-green is probably a silicon carbide grinding wheel. Ideally, you would use a diamond wheel on carbide. The SiC wheel will work (sort of) on carbide and it works on HSS. I prefer a good aluminum oxide wheel for most HSS grinding, though. They don't wear as fast.

chuckinnc
12-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Your right there many threads about the wheels but the main problem is with
the table tilt/angle, has anyone found a fix for this?

dp
12-11-2009, 10:48 PM
Get out some files and go to work. They will eventually loosen up at which time you can use some course lapping compound to finish the job. I spent a week off and on getting mine to work smoothly.

oddball racing
12-12-2009, 08:04 AM
.............The manaul dosent say what type wheels are on it? It looks like
a greyish maybe a little green, it dosent say if its for HHS or carbide?
The wheels are RCWAJ* Type. You can only get them for the HF grinders. They work very well on ...on.....on... well nothing really.
Do the search and make you decision on what you find. Personally I found the machine to be more versatile with AO wheels.

Recycled Concrete With Antifreeze Juice.

andy_b
12-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Get out some files and go to work. They will eventually loosen up at which time you can use some course lapping compound to finish the job. I spent a week off and on getting mine to work smoothly.

Yup, that's about it. The tables do tilt, but not without some initial effort.

andy b.

Carld
12-12-2009, 09:59 AM
As far as I could tell the wheels that come on them are made of concrete. Just throw them away and buy Nortons or some good grade or buy a diamond wheel for the carbide and a white wheel for the HSS.

chuckinnc
12-12-2009, 10:04 AM
My main reason for this grinder was to do HHS bits for my shaper & smaller lathe so AO wheels are the only ones I need. Only ones I have found in AO are 46 grit, some other PNs in older threads dont work. I would like to also find a AO in a finer grit.
Thanks for the tilt info, so far my efferts with a dremel tool and various accys have been fruitless. It runs smooth dosent need to be bolted down so
I will work out the misc problems.

Carld
12-12-2009, 10:17 AM
I know I have seen them in 36, 46 and 80 or 100 grit somewhere. Do a google for the grit you want and it may turn up. I don't move my table much but I did get them working ok.

Bill Pace
12-12-2009, 10:19 AM
As already said, the wheels that come on it are pretty bad and are best just pitched.

If you can at all afford it you'll be a happier camper in getting a diamond wheel for it, after all these grinders are referred to as "carbide grinder" and using a diamond wheel is a real pleasure.

Fortunately for us HSMers, here again the Chinese have started offering diamond wheels that we can afford through several sources. Probably the most popular is Shars and CDCO, both offer diamond and Shars also has it in CBN - IIRC for under $50.

Yes the tables can be a pain, but, hey, I have one of the original Delta versions of this grinder, and even they can be a bit 'sticky'.

tmc_31
12-12-2009, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=Bill Pace]As already said, the wheels that come on it are pretty bad and are best just pitched.

If you can at all afford it you'll be a happier camper in getting a diamond wheel for it, after all these grinders are referred to as "carbide grinder" and using a diamond wheel is a real pleasure.

Hey Bill,

I have one of these grinders, I bought a 80 (something) grit AO wheel from Norton for it (kind of pricey, but works nice right out of the box). I also bought a 46 grit Israeli made wheel (pretty cheap, not well balanced, will buy the Norton 46 next time).

How well do the diamond wheels work with HSS? I thought they were primarily made for carbide.

Tim

Bill Pace
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
How well do the diamond wheels work with HSS? I thought they were primarily made for carbide

Oh yes, they are definitely not for HSS -- for the same 'wonderfulness' of using a diamond, the wheel for HSS is those in CBN! Tho, as you say, a good grade in AO works very well.