PDA

View Full Version : 5.7x28 FN Bolt action Rifle

deltaenterprizes
12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Thoughts on converting a 22 magnum to this cartridge so you would have a reloadable 22 LR/ magnum cartridge.
Is it feasable?

andy_b
12-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Isn't the 22M a rimfire and the 5.7 a centerfire?

andy b.

wooleybooger
12-14-2009, 10:44 PM
this started me thinking.I know: everybody RUN. i dont know about feasible. the .223 rem is 5.56x45 and i use .224 bullets in my reloads. i was thinking of converting a 5MM rem of years back to 5.7 but i just looked at a drill chart and find a 5.70 drill to be .2240". while it may be possible to "make" it fit in a 22lr or mag: will the rechambered action be strong enough to handle 5.7 pressures? also cartridge length differences may create feeding issues in any action other than a hand-fed single shot.i think this is a bottle necked cartridge and the head diameter may exclude building on any action other than a single shot. these are just my quick thoughts. find out cartridge measurements of both,top to bottom,side to side,head to toe. and most importantly-look at chamber pressures. i may look up this info tomorrow.

38_Cal
12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
The 5.7 operates at about 50,000 psi, much more than any rimfire acton/barrel are designed for. Also, it needs a 9" twist for proper bullet stability...most .22 l.r. and magnum barrels are in the 16" to 14" twist range. I would say that this is probably not the best idea. <VBG>

If you can find any, the .22 Cooper Magnum was a centerfire cartridge only very slightly larger than the .22 rimfire magnum. Brass is scarce, but sometimes becomes available. You could also look for the very obsolete 5.75 Velo Dog brass. Fiocchi made it up till about three or four years ago, it's just slightly shorter than the Cooper cartridge.

David

Al Messer
12-15-2009, 04:45 PM
Why not just settle for a .22 Hornet? Both empty brass and loaded ammo is still available for this old timer, believe it or not.

deltaenterprizes
12-15-2009, 06:07 PM
I found some of both types of brass on the range and they are similar size but one is reloadable and the other is not.The ability to reload and download to 22lr performance and also use cast bullets( Or boolits as they are affectionately called on another site).
I have read about others looking for a reloadable cartridge similar to the 22 LR. I have recently read about the 22 CCM, Cooper Centerfire Magnum, but it is now discontinued.

mcskipper
12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
You get the same advice as I give to all people that wont to do some conversion.
DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sell the gun you have and buy the one you wont.
As soon as you start changing things the value goes to nothing.
Case in point. I picked up a wonderfully done 1903 Springfield that if left original would have been $700 I payed $50 for it.

If you would like to pick a very good all a round cartridge pick a 22 Hornet.
I make some that are 22LR equivalent, some mid power cast & Full power Jacketed.

deltaenterprizes
12-15-2009, 07:54 PM
You get the same advice as I give to all people that wont to do some conversion.
DON"T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sell the gun you have and buy the one you wont.
As soon as you start changing things the value goes to nothing.
Case in point. I picked up a wonderfully done 1903 Springfield that if left original would have been $700 I payed $50 for it.

If you would like to pick a very good all a round cartridge pick a 22 Hornet.
I make some that are 22LR equivalent, some mid power cast & Full power Jacketed.

I don't have a 22 mag, I thought it would be an interesting conversion for a junker with a rental reamer for about $25.

38_Cal
12-15-2009, 09:38 PM
A couple of other things to consider. Most .22 rimfire rifles, even Mags, have their barrels pinned in to the action, not threaded. The locking system on most bolt actions is simply the bolt handle where it attaches to the bolt body, engaging a cut in the receiver wall. Not enough strength in these designs for even reduced loads out of a cartridge like the .22 Hornet, much less the 5.7x28.

You also need to look at the ethics of what you are doing. I've turned down work from folks who wanted to chamber rifles for loads that, from the factory, were too hot for the action. Even when they told me that they would be handloading light loads, you have to look at the safety of the rig when factory loads might be used. If your friends get your guns after you are gone, or your kids or grandkids get them, and run the factory loads that the weak action rifle is chambered for in it, what bad things might happen to them? :( Not something I would want to have happen, either as the gun owner (bad for my karma!) or the gunsmith who did the work requested.

Ok, off my soapbox! :D

David

deltaenterprizes
12-17-2009, 04:25 PM
It can be done and has been done! Check this out:http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

Metalshaper
12-18-2009, 04:34 PM
It can be done and has been done! Check this out:http://www.saubier.com/forum.html

which topic or thread??? I'm curious about a hornet conversion??

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

deltaenterprizes
12-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Do a search for 5.7x28

JCHannum
12-19-2009, 06:31 AM
The only reference to a 5.7x28 I could find on that site was done on an AR. That would be an acceptable conversion. A conversion to any centerfire 22 caliber using a rimfire rifle as a basis, whether 22 or 22 magnum would be unsafe.

Listen to Dave, he knows what he is talking about. Aside from the mechanical considerations of the barrel being pinned and the bolt lockup, the metallurgy is usually not sufficient to handle the pressures involved. An additional caveat is that the bore dimensions might be too small, further increasing the already dangerous pressure levelss.

There are a very few rifles that would make acceptable donors, but unless you have done your homework, know the materials of construction and all other parameters involved, do not do it.

ulav8r
12-19-2009, 11:11 AM
A search of 5.7x28 foud 4 pages of threads last night. Some talked about converting Remington 580 and 590 series rifles to centerfire. Someone claimed that the 590's were originally proofed at about 55,000 psi.

I don't think that is enough of a safety factor but a similar design scaled up a little would be nice, as would a mini mauser like the CZ.

Metalshaper
12-19-2009, 11:23 AM
when I was originally researching the 22 hornet cartridge, as a potential project..

I was surprised that on a couple of sites, they referenced some of the original Hornet rifles,, were made by re-chambering 22RF barrels. the big thing they stated was to slug the bores, so you knew which diameter of 22 caliber bullet to use.

I have a couple of 22 barrels down in the shop?? but knew I didn't have all the knowledge I'd need to make either of them work, for a hornet. Figured they will get used as is! and it gives me a reason to look for another barrel!!:rolleyes:

Always looking to lean something new!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

38_Cal
12-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Barrels converted to .22 Hornet use were usually Winchester 52, Springfield 1922 and occasionally Remington M-37. All high grade target rifles, with much better steel than "boys" rifles. In the case of the Springfield, the actions were sometimes used for Hornets, since they had the same locking system as the 1903 in 30-06. The more common actions to convert to Hornet were stronger single shot designs, like the Winchester Hi and Low Walls, Stevens 44 1/2, and Martinis of various flavors. These are all pretty good designs, especially when they had the breech blocks bushed and high pressure firing pins fitted. Common features are threaded barrels, relatively strong locking designs and fast lock times. Also easy extractors to make work with the rimmed cases.

Bottom line for any conversion...look at the action design with the idea of what happens if/when someone puts in a relatively higher pressure load than the factory round you want to chamber it for. How well will it handle the gas if you get a pierced primer or ruptured case? Remember that it's your nose that's eight inches away from that action. (Don't want to scare anyone off from making a converson, just want to make you think about what will be a good conversion!)

David