PDA

View Full Version : O/T Ebay selling

1937 Chief
12-14-2009, 09:14 PM
I just figured how sell things on ebay with a picture. Now on the second item I sold someone from Poland bought it. Is this going to be a problem shipping to another country? I wasen't counting on this. Another problem I only listed 6.00 shipping. There again I was thinking US only. The items are two motorcycle repair videos, so the price should not be too high,(I hope) under a lb. Stan

Greg Q
12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
If they are VHS tapes you might be a bit underweight on shipping. If DVD's you will probably find a mailer at the post office for that kind of money. Otherwise write to the buyer and explain international shipping is higher. Any international buyer with a brain will expect that anyway.

Black_Moons
12-14-2009, 09:38 PM
As a canadian buyer who buys from the USA often, im genuinely suprised when they say '$10 shiping' and it really is $10.

Shiping to another country usally isent much work im my experiance, just more cost :) Iv shiped to the UK before and I can't recall anything special I had to do, Most of the standard postal services even where still 'valid' options. (just as you can send things to canada via US postal service)

What really ticks me off is when people go 'Free shiping. USA ONLY!', and expect full shiping cost to be paid from everywhere else.
Though one guy I bought from, he subtracted the cost of the 'free USA shiping' from the shiping he charged me! A+ For him!

aostling
12-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Another problem I only listed 6.00 shipping.

That will be a problem, and you will take a hit on this one. Next time you sell on eBay you should use the built-in shipping calculator. There are separate calculators for domestic and foreign bidders. All you need to do is specify the package weight, and mailing method (e.g. First Class Mail International, Global Priority Mail, etc.) and the shipping charges will be automatically calculated according to the buyer's country of residence. You can add a handling fee (I never charge more than $2) and it will be added to the calculated shipping cost.

JoeFin
12-14-2009, 10:01 PM
I had a seller from France or England (can't remember) just flat out refuse to ship the item to the USA after I won it fair and square.

There was nothing in the listing barring international sales or shipping but when I asked for a total to ship to the USA they came back with +$100.00 shipping cost for a 1 lb boring bar. I wrote them telling them that was very excessive cost for shipping and could they recalculate using normal postal rates - they refused

Needless to say I reported them to Ebone (a lot of good that did) and the transaction was never completed

So go back and explain yourself to the buyer. Ask for "Fair Shipping Cost" and he should be glad to pay for it. If not - don't worry, Ebone won't do nothing to you and you can just go ahead and relist it

KiddZimaHater
12-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Shipping overseas isn't a big deal. I ship DVD's and CD's all the time. Two videos boxed together shouldn't weigh much so $6.00 might cover the expense. If not you'll just have to eat this deal, and guess-timate the cost of overseas shipping for future sales.
Just go to your local post office and ship it 1st class overseas.

Paul Alciatore
12-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Check out the USPS web site page for international shippments. It is buried deep, but the flat rate for a small Priority Mail box to Poland is $12.95. Or your local Post Office should be able to help.

http://www.usps.com/international/welcome.htm?from=home_mailandshipping&page=intldeliveryservices

You might also follow E-Bay's link to creating a shipping document and see what rates you can get there.

steve45
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
As a canadian buyer who buys from the USA often, im genuinely suprised when they say '$10 shiping' and it really is $10.

Shiping to another country usally isent much work im my experiance, just more cost :) Iv shiped to the UK before and I can't recall anything special I had to do, Most of the standard postal services even where still 'valid' options. (just as you can send things to canada via US postal service)

What really ticks me off is when people go 'Free shiping. USA ONLY!', and expect full shiping cost to be paid from everywhere else.
Though one guy I bought from, he subtracted the cost of the 'free USA shiping' from the shiping he charged me! A+ For him!

In my last job, we were a distributor for products made in Canada. Shipping something back to Canada for repair was a royal pain. Getting 'RUSH' service on critical parts was totally out of the question. Stuff would get tied up in Canadian customs for a week or more. I was going to send our rep a baseball cap and he told me not to even try. The paperwork & duty on the baseball cap would be several times it's actual value.

Therefore, I don't ship overseas when I sell on Ebay. I've purchased a number of items from Hong Kong, Canada, England, and Austrailia. Shipping from Hong Kong is really pretty cheap.

v860rich
12-14-2009, 11:45 PM
When I was new at the e bay game I shipped to Italy by USPS surface mail, an item weighing about 10 lbs. You couldn't get a tracking number on International parcels. At about 45 days and no item the buyer filed a complaint on me. Since I didn't have a tracking number the deal went against me and I lost my shipping and the part. Surface international mail is the "slow boat to China".
After that I researched the cost of shipping and added the value of the parts and that total became my shipping fee. The other thing with international sales is the paperwork and the buyer wants you to devalue the item so they pay less duty. I never report the value at less than the item sells for.
THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Greg Q
12-15-2009, 05:09 AM
I
Therefore, I don't ship overseas when I sell on Ebay. I've purchased a number of items from Hong Kong, Canada, England, and Austrailia. Shipping from Hong Kong is really pretty cheap.

So Canada customs is slow and as a result you won't sell to me down here but you are happy to buy from here?

For the record shipping down here is quick, and there is zero duty and taxes for imports under a grand.

Black_Moons
12-15-2009, 05:35 AM
By shiping USPS USA to canada, it only gets held in customs a day or two typicaly, and fees are only $5 handleing charge + 7% tax (iirc) on the declared charge. No additional paperwork.
I don't get why anyone would'nt ship to another country because it costs the reciver more, they clearly are willing to pay the shiping or they would'nt of ordered it. you don't get charged more.

oldtiffie
12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by steve45
I

So Canada customs is slow and as a result you won't sell to me down here but you are happy to buy from here?

For the record shipping down here is quick, and there is zero duty and taxes for imports under a grand.

Greg,

I agree with you as regards there being no Customs or Duty (usually 10% - GST) if the "all up/in" cost - inclusive of postage and handling - does not exceed AU$1,000 after which it is +10% (mostly) on all "all in" costs. I had about AU$120 to pay on an AU$1,200 item (inclusive of P&H) from UK.

Items from UK had "active tracking" (VERY good!!) but items from say LittleMachineShop or CDCD Tools in the USA posted with the US Postal Service have a tracking number but the results of a search are pretty poor and the item just "shows up" at my door. In both cases the USPS and its local contract couriers here are excellent. Australia Post is first class as well. Postage and handling is expensive.

Greg Q
12-15-2009, 06:32 AM
Tiffie...I have noticed that the tracking is only valid after an event...item goes into USPS facility somewhere, next is in limbo, next it is logged into and out of customs. I always get it a day or two after that.

Shipping has gotten crazy money lately-the USPS has limited regular air mail to 4 lbs or less, which means if the item won't fit into a flat rate box I pass on it.

I have purchased a few things from Switzerland and Israel lately-their postage is peanuts compared to Oz post or US & Canada

Black_Moons
12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
wierd, I did'nt know shiping got more costly around xmas.. just thought it usally took longer to arrive.

Greg Q
12-15-2009, 07:01 AM
It's not the season, it was a few months ago that the post offices jacked their rates. Canada Post for example wanted $128 to air mail a 10lb package. (The USPS would be similar if it weren't for their flat rate box products which are better value, and free to their customers (the actual carton I mean).

It is slower now too though...two days for domestic parcels instead of overnight.

aboard_epsilon
12-15-2009, 08:24 AM
there are a few listings on UK ebay that say that due to bad experience they no longer ship to Poland ./
apparently the postal service and couriers there cream off ..and things do not arrive .

all the best.markj

john hobdeclipe
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM
After a couple of bad experiences with international shipping, I simply stopped doing it. In my eBay preferences, I state US shipping only, and that automatically blocks bids from outside the country. I also state in my ads that I no longer ship outside the US.

Occasionally I'll still get a query from someone out-of-country. I go ahead and figure the postage, adding on whatever service I need to give me a verification of delivery, and reply with that information, always via eBay's message system, so there is a record of the exchange.

Then I add that individual's name to my "blocked bidder exemption list" and he is free to bid, if he chooses.