PDA

View Full Version : Attaching two plates of plexiglass together

beanbag
12-15-2009, 05:21 AM
I want to sandwich two thin sheets of acrylic or polycarbonate together, to use as a display for thin paper-like double sided objects such as currency. Is there a classy and non-permanent way to do so? I was thinking of something like short countersunk screws, but I have no sense of aesthetics, so suggestions are welcome. It doesn't need to be three dimensional or stand up - I might just toss it in my desk drawer when not showing off the contents.

Allan Waterfall
12-15-2009, 05:25 AM
Put the sheets together and stretch some electrical pressure tape round the edge.That'll give it a frame and is none permanent.

Allan

Black_Moons
12-15-2009, 05:38 AM
Lots of the stands I see are just 3 sided and allow the paper to slip in/out.. Not sure how they make those ultra thin 'sides' however.

oldtiffie
12-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Check out the picture-framers or the aluminum "U"-shaped extrusions from local suppliers. Or perhaps the local glazier.

garagemark
12-15-2009, 07:02 AM
My wife is a framer. She has catalogs with the extruded aluminum "U" channels. You can make a "frame" from them that is thin and very presentation. Just slip them over the two pieces of glass or plastic. The channels vary in depth from around 1/8" to very thick. I will try to remember to look at her books for a source.

TGTool
12-15-2009, 12:14 PM
My wife is a framer. She has catalogs with the extruded aluminum "U" channels. You can make a "frame" from them that is thin and very presentation. Just slip them over the two pieces of glass or plastic. The channels vary in depth from around 1/8" to very thick. I will try to remember to look at her books for a source.

Ah, that's a timely suggestion. I've been casting about for inexpensive framing for some pictures a local Indian restaurant wants to put up. They're balking a little at framing that costs more than the pictures. I understand their reticence but the reality of all the components in frames is hard to get around too. These aren't museum quality pictures, so something lower end would serve and the environment is one where you have to expect large and small fingerprints, flying liquids and other stuff.