PDA

View Full Version : $($*%..I've Got A Mouse!

Too_Many_Tools
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Okay...I pride myself on being a clean and neat guy.

So here I am in my study and when I move a book what do I find but %($*&$ mouse poop.

Darn it!

Then I look in a filing cabinet...hmm....more mouse poop.

Double darn it!

Okay I am looking for ways to get this mouse and any of his friends.

Give me ideas for traps, what works, what doesn't.

No poison...don't want the stink of the decaying bodies.

No guns...don't want to be filling holes in walls.

No pets, no kids in this part of the house so any traps will be free to do what they do best.

I will give credit to those whose ideas work.

Does mouse hunting season have a limit?

Thanks for any info, help or jokes you can offer.

TMT

Dawai
12-15-2009, 11:13 PM
get a cat like OURS, then take cat by the tail and beat mouse to death.

Bruce Griffing
12-15-2009, 11:14 PM
Ordinary mouse trap, baited with peanut butter.

uncle pete
12-15-2009, 11:15 PM
TMT,
Mouse trap baited with peanut butter, This is a no fail, Put the trap along a wall they are traveling or around the area your finding their "gifts" Last time I did this it took less than 10 miniutes from the time I turned the lights out till one dead mouse.

Pete

tdkkart
12-15-2009, 11:16 PM
Regular old mouse trap loaded with creamy peanut butter. If you got 'em this'll get 'um.

uncle pete
12-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Bruce,LOL, You type faster than me.

Pete

Tinkerer
12-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Ok it's looking at what you read and snooping thru your files... are you sure it's not a Rat from the Government? :eek:
To ketch... place pork rhine under propped up bucket should have it trapped shortly... Dem Rats can't pass up Pork. :D

dp
12-15-2009, 11:31 PM
With the arctic weather we've had the past two weeks our cat has gone nuts trying to get under the dishwasher - he hears mice under there, and droppings have shown up here and there. I set out a trap and in four days I got four mice. They follow the electrical and gas penetrations into the cupboards but have no way to get into the house. It's been two days now and no fifth mouse.

We have a lot more raccoons than we did two weeks ago, too. With everything frozen they had no water to drink and digging food (slugs, grubs, bugs...) isn't possible with the ground frozen, so they sit on the deck staring in the sliding glass door hoping for a handout. We did put out some water for them, but the young ones from this year's crop need to know hunger and foraging, so no treats except the peanuts they steal that we'd put out for the birds.

I finally took a dozen eggs out to the back yard and planted them in the bushes all over the place - they found them all and the young ones got a lesson in foraging.

toolmaker76
12-15-2009, 11:36 PM
Yep, mouse trap next to the wall. I have one that I don't even bait anymore, they manage to get in where the pipes are- take two steps and SNAP! Dead mouse.

With Superman it is kryptonite, with my wife it is mice (it is actually a phobia). Our cat used to catch them, but if my wife saw it she would throw such a screaming fit that it would scare the cat (mouse and me too) so bad that now it figures mice are best left alone!

Of course, after such an episode no one in the house is allowed to rest until said mouse is gone! I have found that they do not disappear like it seems, but will stay next to a wall and any sort of cover next to that wall- drapes, furniture, table legs, etc. A shoe works pretty well for dispatch.

There was one that we repeatedly tried to kill with no luck; the little sucker could duck too fast- finally opened the front door and "herded" it outside (your wife has to see it cross the threshold or the carcass in order to be credible).

So all in all- I suppose it is best that our cat has sworn off mice! Now, no one suspects a thing until SNAP! Dead mouse. Wife screams. Husband takes dead mouse outside and reloads trap. Back to bed.

Happy hunting!

MickeyD
12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
We got them in the garage about 10 years ago and I had good luck with sticky traps. A lot of the time they would not kill them, but a pellet gun took care of that.

Falcon67
12-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Glue traps - work well here. Normal thing, they can get in just about anywhere.

toolmaker76
12-16-2009, 12:00 AM
That got me to thinking....

I am retired from one of the big three auto companies, where I worked in maintenance on the night shift. Before we got a computer in our crib, we would have to go into the offices to use their computers (looking up part numbers, you know).

Someone had left an open half bag of pretzels on their desk, which I didn't pay attention to until the second or third night that I saw it. Just happened to have a bit of 1/32" diameter rubber gasket material in my pocket, which I cut to about the proper poop length with my pocket knife. Took one of the pretzels and crushed part of it with my knife. It looked like an actual mouse feeding site. If you examined the poop closely, you could tell it wasn't really poop, but who ever looks at poop closely?

I did notice on the next night that not only were the pretzels gone and that desk cleaned up, the general housekeeping at the other desks had improved!

Boucher
12-16-2009, 12:04 AM
The peanut butter usally works but not allways. I had one trickey mouse that repeatidly licked the trap clean. I have been trapping things since I was big enough to walk. I know how to set a hair trigger. This mouse was like Scotty he could beam up the peanut butter and never get caught. They have some new Glue traps with the stickeyest glue you have ever seen. Set one near the wall in the closet was not long that we heard him fussing. We set one in the pantry. The neighbors dog came over and went in to get a treat. He stepped in it and then glued his foot to the side of his face. He was running on three leggs bawling and I like to have never caught him to get it off. Had to cut the hair on the side of his face. I really do think these are the best mouse trap that I have ever used.

beanbag
12-16-2009, 12:05 AM
I finally took a dozen eggs out to the back yard and planted them in the bushes all over the place - they found them all and the young ones got a lesson in foraging.

Those young raccoons are going to be messed up if you keep doing weird sh1t like that. :)

dp
12-16-2009, 12:17 AM
I think the glue traps are illegal in Washington state. Everything else is, too. They're inhumane. Seems like mole and gopher traps are also illegal...

Yep. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/237538/washington_state_law_illegal_to_trap.html?cat=17

I hate setting a mole trap and finding a cougar in it the next day :rolleyes:

We have a lot of hobo spiders here and the glue traps are very effective on them. They do get a few mice as well, but I expect that's because the mice are after the spiders. I seem to get about one hobo bite a month. The poison stays under the skin quite a long time and once in a while I'll scratch an itch and cause it to move around under the dermis and it starts to itch and sting like crazy. Sorry about the mice but I'm going to keep putting out the spider traps!

Black_Moons
12-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Good old snaptraps.. Cheese works, honest. or pizza.. meat.. or anything you eat. its thier last meal be inventive! Hard things work better as they can't be licked off.
Once i baited a trap with mozzorela cheese...
10 mins later mouse dead.. 15 mins later another mouse dead... 5 mins a mouse dead.. next day mouse dead... Next day one final mouse dead... Did I mention I havent replaced the bait yet?
Nothing left but a tiny smear of rusty cheese in the crack of the trigger yet it was still catching mice!

bobw53
12-16-2009, 12:30 AM
I hate mice, a few is fine, they make a house and keep the cat occupied. About 10years ago I was living back with my folks up in the attic. As it got cold there were more and more of the little bastards. I was waking up, in the attic with piles of cat food under my pillow, the cat food was on the first floor.

Same here at the shop recently, always had a few, then KABOOM, millions of them.

Bait blocks or now "bait wedges" they eat it and die. They die in the walls and stink. Or they die on the floor and you step on them. They don't stink for long.

Too many tools, it has nothing to do with cleanliness, those little bastards will eat anything, they ate the buttons off of my TV remote one night. They eat soap, they love animal food, and they can squeeze through almost anything. If your house is warm and has even a tiny crack, you're a candidate for mice.

Evan
12-16-2009, 12:54 AM
I was having a mouse problem in my garage shop until recently. Traps are marginally effective and we don't have a cat so I picked up a 10 lb box of dry ice. Closed up the shop tight and put the open box of CO2 on the floor. Later that evening our Beardog showed extreme interest to something happening at the door into the shop from the mud room. Of course I didn't open it since I didn't want to disturb the layer of CO2 covering every nook and cranny perhaps a couple of feet deep. She probably was hearing tiny pitiful ultrasonic screams from dying mice as they gasped their hyperventilating last breaths.

I haven't seen any evidence of mice since then. That was a month ago. It's too cold for any decay to set in. By spring they will be freeze dried.

Black_Moons
12-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Evan: hahaha epic, I once considered doing similar with my argon tank into the walls when I could hear em skittering about.. But ended up just putting lots of poisen in the attic and that worked eventualy.. took a few weeks though.
Where did you get the dry ice?

Bones
12-16-2009, 01:02 AM
Got a brain spasm one day and designed and built an electric mouse trap.
A 12 in. piece of plastic conduit 2 in. in dia. 2 pieces of brazing rod about 6 in.
in length paralell with about an in. seperation along the bottom, wired to 110
and i'm in business. For sure 110 should pretty well finish a little mouse.
Aquired a test mouse to try it out with, no luck. First time he went thru on his own, but boy did he come out the other end quick.
Next time I had to force him thru, same result, so decided to help him improve my testing by wetting him down before sending him thru. Same results, one quick chirp and he's out the other end.

Maybe some of you electronics fellows can explain why it didnt have more effect on Him.

Next time will try 220.

bones

Evan
12-16-2009, 01:06 AM
Just about any trucking company that runs reefers will have dry ice a couple of times per week. It's used to pack frozen meat and fish. If you ask nice they will give it to you since they aren't going to have it for long anyway.

Evan
12-16-2009, 01:08 AM
Before the mouse walks into the trap make him walk across a sponge saturated with salt water.

Ian B
12-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Here's another method, easy to make and designed for bulk meese catching:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/easterly110.html

On a different pest; ants. I'm in Nigeria at the moment, and the house & garden is infested with ants, from the tiny sugar ants on the kitchen counter to the monsters (carpenter ants) in the trees. I made a mix of sugar & water, added 10% of the sugar's weight of boric (boracic?) acid, left it where the ants could find it. Wiped out the sugar ants the same day, and the other populations are plumetting.

Nice when something works for once...

Ian

Black_Moons
12-16-2009, 01:32 AM
What you need is a neon sign transformer, like this one
http://blog.makezine.com/img_m374.jpg

Guarenteed to zap your mice dead.
Guarentee to not burn down your house in the process not included.

snowman
12-16-2009, 01:39 AM
I have just named mine.

Mice don't really carry any diseases that I'm not exposed to on a daily basis at work, so I don't mind the little buggers.

Evan
12-16-2009, 03:54 AM
Mice don't really carry any diseases that I'm not exposed to on a daily basis at work, so I don't mind the little buggers.

What about Hanta Virus? Not a good thing to come down with. It nearly killed an acquaintance here that was doing field research on the local deer mouse population. Since it was recognized to exist it has shown an unusually high mortality rate of 30 to 50%. It is spread throughout North America.

Hantavirus: What is it?

(This information is copied with permission from the U.S. Center for Disease Control literature.)

Small But Deadly

Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome (HPS) has been recognized as a disease only recently in North America. So far, it's also fairly uncommon and the chances of becoming infected are low. However, HPS is potentially deadly and immediate intensive care is essential once symptoms appear. Hantaviruses that cause HPS are carried by rodents, especially the deer mouse. You can become infected by exposure to their droppings, and the flu-like first signs of sickness (especially fever and muscle aches) appear one to six weeks later, followed by shortness of breath and coughing. Once this phase begins, the disease progresses rapidly, necessitating hospitalization and often ventilation within 24 hours. Prevention is the best strategy, and it simply means taking some very practical steps to minimize your contact with rodents. HPS is not contagious from person-to-person in the United States.

EVguru
12-16-2009, 04:55 AM
Any mouse foolish enough to venture into my house any further than the kitchen will be dispatched in very short order by one of my Bengal cats. Often the first I know is finding the tail.

The cats aren't allowed in the kitchen and it's actually the main point of entry for mice. Traps are effective and peanut butter and 70%+ cocoa chocholate are the best baits. Mice can learn to ignore traps, but covering them with a piece of tissue paper usually restores their effectiveness.

davidwdyer
12-16-2009, 06:57 AM
Ian. What in the world are you doing in Nigeria? I've been there, but what a place!

Peanut butter in traps needs to be changed every few days. When it gets rancid, the mice won't touch it anymore.

SteveF
12-16-2009, 07:24 AM
I live on a farm and deal with mice constantly. Plain traps work but I found creamy peanut butter gets licked out of the trigger. Use crunchy, find a good size piece of peanut and jam it into the trigger.

Steve.

A.K. Boomer
12-16-2009, 07:51 AM
This is an interesting pic I posted on here before.

I used to live way out in the boonies --- it was a two story brick house that i rented for a buck and a quarter a month, it had a "few" mice in the cellar, i got sick of coming home and finding mice half gimped in the moustrap still alive and bleeding all over as they dragged themselves around for 8 hours while i was gone, it really was inhumane, so welcome to my little killing machine; Not one mouse has ever lived for more than a few seconds in this trap, The trap was disassembled and painstakenly gone through, the tripped bar was thinned in the apropriate areas for better speed and higher unit pressure upon contact --- there is also one more revolution of power wound into the bar springs, on top of all that the mouse had to tip toe over a half dozen strategically placed razor sharp spikes to get to the cheese --- i really dont take pleasure in killing but if i have to i like to do it efficiently, there is one more twisted thing about this trap, its attached to some 2by4's and there was a trip wire (4lb test fishing line) that was mounted to JB welded popsicle sticks and then my camera that i had on auto/flash -- I want everybody to know that only just enough energy to get the camera to go off was used in this process so as not to disturb the amount of energy dedicated to mouse killing (you guys know how horsepower consciuos im am and i dont want to ruin my reputation)
Also -- this was about 30 years ago and i think i was a minor:p

This is the exact split second that the mouse is getting it - if you look real close starting from the right side of the mouses head you can see the trip wire, The camera was used as a diagnostic tool only and I recieved no pleasure whatsoever from viewing this photo... It is however - a better mousetrap.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r249/AK_Boomer/WhataWayTaGo.jpg

Ridgerunner
12-16-2009, 08:03 AM
In the woods here we got them smart mice. They lick the traps clean. What I do is wrap the trap trigger with string and tie a knot. Then push the peanut into the string. That takes care of the little Mensans.

snowman
12-16-2009, 08:10 AM
What about Hanta Virus? Not a good thing to come down with. It nearly killed an acquaintance here that was doing field research on the local deer mouse population. Since it was recognized to exist it has shown an unusually high mortality rate of 30 to 50%. It is spread throughout North America.

Anyone trapping them has a higher chance of catching the hanta virus than I do, simply because they are handling the mice. The virus is relatively short lived in the environment, and as long as you are taking very basic precautions transmission is very unlikely.

If I worried about stuff like that, there's no way I could work in a veterinary hospital. I come in to contact with lepto, rabies, salmonella, MRSA, etc on at least a weekly basis.

Alistair Hosie
12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
we have them from time to time in the house they are very small and I don't believe in killing them.Anyway peanut butter and chocolate they love in a humane trap and most of the time they escape :DAlistair

J Tiers
12-16-2009, 08:52 AM
What about Hanta Virus?

What about bubonic plague? Widespread in the southwest USA in rodents, mice and rats usually. Very lethal if not treated within 24 hours, maybe as much as 100% fatalities, depending on type and treatment.

Evan
12-16-2009, 09:30 AM
There is a vaccination for bubonic plague. I have it. There isn't any for Hanta virus.

Duffy
12-16-2009, 09:52 AM
Evan: While peanut butter IS effective, I have found that the clever ones CAN lick it off and leave. A raisin, stuck on the trip lock, seems to be more effective and less messy. They have to chew and tug at the raisin and "good night!" Duffy

snowman
12-16-2009, 10:08 AM
Geez...you tangle some steel wool on the trigger, then press peanut butter into that. It decreases their ability to get the peanut butter without triggering it. It also helps if you have the trap set to a hair trigger.

You don't really even need peanut butter, all you have to do is put the trap with the trigger facing the wall, mouse will run right across it. They don't run in open spaces, they follow the wall.

airbrush1
12-16-2009, 10:10 AM
I used to use peanut butter but have found that a little dab of ketchup works better ..... it does dry out in a day or so but just makes it stick better. Mice love it.

dneufell
12-16-2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Guys........http://www.ratzapper.com/ They work excellent.......Dean

Ken_Shea
12-16-2009, 10:39 AM
New snap traps do not need bait, has built in cheese odor, so they just eat the plastic trip latch, it has holes in it to look like Swiss cheese, so it looks good to us I guess :D
They just nibble at that till you have to buy a new trap so I load it with real cheese.

I am another that gets no joy out of killing them, actually I feel bad about it, but you just cannot have them, you can clean the poop up it's the destructive chewing and peeing that gets them killed here.

airsmith282
12-16-2009, 10:49 AM
Okay...I pride myself on being a clean and neat guy.

So here I am in my study and when I move a book what do I find but %($*&$ mouse poop.

Darn it!

Then I look in a filing cabinet...hmm....more mouse poop.

Double darn it!

Okay I am looking for ways to get this mouse and any of his friends.

Give me ideas for traps, what works, what doesn't.

No poison...don't want the stink of the decaying bodies.

No guns...don't want to be filling holes in walls.

No pets, no kids in this part of the house so any traps will be free to do what they do best.

I will give credit to those whose ideas work.

Does mouse hunting season have a limit?

Thanks for any info, help or jokes you can offer.

TMT

we had some mouse issues our cat toook care of one of them for us, first its not just your one room thats the problem, you have to look every where for holes even tiny ones thoes buggers seem to be able to get in ,stuff the holes with 000 steel wool then seal over top with duck tap or some sort of a plug as to not force the steel wool right threw, either way you gota kill offf a few of them , stink well i dont think your doing to smell them dead bodies but ok , ever sence we plugs the holes in the house we found and put in the steel wool we have killed off a few of them , but no ,more new ones have arrived to face the challange of getting in,,

traps are a joke at least here them buggers would eat the cheese or peanut butter right offf the trap and not set it off. they are pretty smart here some how, must be the water..

the poisen well it works to a degree but you dont want to have cats in the house if you use that stuff cause if they eat the stuff it takes awhile for them to die and if the cat get that mouse then the cat will get sick and possibly die as well so use one or the other,

also not all cats will go after mice this is a fact some will likey even become budies with the fellow mouse ,, our one cat is a mouser,. the other well she would rather just relax and let the mouse do what ever it wants to..

take care all the best with the mice

bob_s
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
I enjoy the electronic mouse zappers, they work really well.

See single shot version

http://www.amazon.com/Victor-M252-Electronic-Mouse-Trap/product-reviews/B000E1RIUU/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Or for the Adolphe Eichman version

http://www.amazon.com/Victor%C2%AE-M260-Multi-Kill-Electronic-Mouse/dp/B001JJCW0M

I use mine just outside the side garage entrance, just remember to tether the thing down to something immovable - the crows had tried to carry the thing off.

rockrat
12-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok, second attempt to post. First failed due to a power drop. I guess that the battery backup needs looked at.

Anyhow.................

I have found what I think is a great mousetrap. It is called The Better Mousetrap by Intruder. They make them for chipmunks as well.

Click for larger photo.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/th_IMG_8344.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/IMG_8344.jpg)

It has a little grid molded into the trip lever that holds the bait. I use peanut butter and have only found one set trap that didnt get the mouse, but the bait stayed.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/th_IMG_8345.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/IMG_8345.jpg)

The traps work well in the attic as is were there are no pets or kids. I hear one go off at night and I know I need to tidy up in the morning. The trap also holds the critter while I drop it into a bag so I can get it through the house & out to the trash.

Slide the trap up against the wall and set. Good to go.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/th_IMG_8343.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/IMG_8343.jpg)

Now for the basement I did a different approach. I place the trap inside a tube that is sealed on one end. This tube is long enough that the dog or the cat can not get a paw in there. But if they do try, they move the tube around enough that the trap gets set off. Also, once the trap has been tripped, I take the tube and all to the trash and dispose of the critter.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/th_IMG_8346.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/IMG_8346.jpg)

Lastly, an old farmer (I think that is where I heard this) told me to take a 5 gallon bucket and fill it part way with water. Then toss in a hand full of grain so that it floats and covers the surface of the water. The mouse will climb in to get the grain but then fall through the grain cover and swim in the water till it runs out of energy and drowns. I have since removed this trap and replaced it with my tubes due to a child in the house now. These buckets can pose a hazard to children. The kid can tip into the bucket and drown. I think that all the new buckets have this caution hot stamped into the side of the bucket now.

Happy hunting
rock~

Tinkerer
12-16-2009, 12:38 PM
Ian. What in the world are you doing in Nigeria? I've been there, but what a place!

Peanut butter in traps needs to be changed every few days. When it gets rancid, the mice won't touch it anymore.

He responded to one of those emails.

Dear Sir kindly may I ask you to do me a kindness as I'm the honest bank teller... :D

saltmine
12-16-2009, 01:09 PM
The early bird gets the worm...But it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

I used to have a big 'ol Golden Retriever that had mouse catching on his list of household duties. He never ate one, just snapped it's scrawny neck, took it outside, and pitched it over the fence in the back yard. It was amazing how accurately he could throw a mouse.

Scishopguy
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
The early bird gets the worm...But it's the second rat that gets the cheese.

I used to have a big 'ol Golden Retriever that had mouse catching on his list of household duties. He never ate one, just snapped it's scrawny neck, took it outside, and pitched it over the fence in the back yard. It was amazing how accurately he could throw a mouse.

Now that is a GOOD DOG!!! :D

Scishopguy
12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
I go along with Rockrat on the "tube" approach. I just take a piece of PVC pipe about 6" long and shove a piece of that "one bite" cornmeal bait in it, run a drywall screw through the wall and into the bait, and leave it along the wall. They can find it but can't get it out. Be sure to leave a source of water that is easy for them to get to. I found this out the hard way when they ate a hole in a rolled up hose to get to the water. :( As soon as they take a drink, they die.

I have also heard that they absolutely hate the smell of "Bounce" dryer sheets. A buddy had trouble with them eating the wiring on his classic car and he put some of those under the hood to keep the mice out. I am currently trying moth balls. I filled a metal tea ball with moth balls and hung in under the hood of my old farm truck. We will see how it works. I know it does a good job on snakes.

Rich Carlstedt
12-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Mice can easily live around moth balls.
We found a nest in a bag of mothballs in my buddy's barn.
He also had belived in that tale
When uncovered, the mother and 6 babies were stting on a straw bed on top of the moth balls,
which he used to keep mice out of his stored cars!

I heard about the "Bounce" thing, but have not checked it out.
I thought one of the components of Bounce is animal fat, but perhaps it is not. ??

The old mouse traps (wood based) are fine, but there is a better one out there.
It is Black Plastic and is very similar to the look of the old wooden ones Except :
The spring loaded snap hoop is only 90 degrees from "heaven" (faster acting). It also has a paddle trigger above the bait pot that forces the mice to step on it and prevent licking the bait. The trigger is two stages, so no misfires occur from a vibration
When mounted side by side with the old style units, it never had a miss.
I would say its far superior to the old ones .
It does have a problem, and that occurs if the mouse does not die. They tend to eat some of the plastic paddle, when trying to get at the bait.
So eventually. the trap is no good but I throw out the wood ones by then anyway.
The other nice thing, is that you can wash the plastic easily.

TGTool
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=davidwdyer]Ian. What in the world are you doing in Nigeria? I've been there, but what a place!
QUOTE]

And what were you doing there too? I grew up there, but it's been 40+ years and much has changed. I was lucky enough to see independence but miss the Biafra business and the widespread corruption that oil money stimulated.

saltmine
12-16-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah, the old Retriever was quite a dog.

We used to reward him with a couple of custom-made dog treats, that he picked out himself at PetSmart, when he brought in the mail each morning.
Wondering if having a huge dog waiting by the mailbox each day was tramatic for the postal lady, I decided to watch one morning.
He planted himself right next to the mailbox, five minutes before the mail lady was supposed to arrive. When she pulled up, she reached out and gave him a friendly pat on the head, and two dog treats. Well, I'll be! The old dog was quite a con artist.

oil mac
12-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Occasionally over here in Scotland, when i lived out in the country, we used to get the little field mice winter in our outbuildings from late autumn, till spring, these were tiny creatures and fairly innocuous, they did not smell but could do some damage, This was in contrast to the house mouse, which seemed to me to be more distructive & smelly, As long as the field mice did not come into the house we would tolerate them, they were gentle little creatures
Strangely enough it is many years since i have had house mouse problems, This i put down to having a very efficient "Ball bearing mouse trap"-- A large tom cat!, i think even the presence of a cat freaks the beggars out, Although i wonder if anyone has heard the theory that the high frequency emitted by a television set scares mice away, I wonder is that an urban myth?

jdunmyer
12-16-2009, 07:05 PM
A variation on that bucket/water mouse trap: a friend describes using a wooden dowel going across the bucket, presumably mounted so it'll spin. The bait is in the center of the dowel, and when the mouse attempts to get to it, the dowel spins, dropping him into the water. He uses glycol anti-freeze in cold weather.

The mice move into my barn in the Fall, and tend to:
1. crap all over
2. eat stuff that I value, including some of the wiring to my alarm system.
Hence, I buy a box of DeCon mouse poison in the little paper baggies, and set them out where the mice run. As noted, near entry ways, next to walls, etc.
I've never noticed any smell from the bodies....

George Hodge
12-16-2009, 07:32 PM
The best mouse trap we have is a black snake living in our attic insulation.The next is a windup metal box trap.Placed next to the wall,they're a sure way to get all the mice.Occasionally we've caught snakes in them.Gotta remember to check it though!!! Not uncommon to find 2 to 6 mice.

shoprat
12-16-2009, 08:07 PM
357 mag or 30/06 laser site,alcohol..your choice turn all lights off,drink alcohol till gone and shoot at the sounds you hear.havent tried it but i think it just might work!!either way let me know.....

tattoomike68
12-16-2009, 08:17 PM
I have 7 cats and there are no mice anywhere in the neighborhood.
Cats rule.

I have 3 pitbulls too so they keep the rip off punks far away. My yard is fenced 100% so if some dummy gets torn up thats his problem and not mine.

you folks in communist countries who cant have guns should buy pit bulls. they work great.

andy_b
12-16-2009, 09:47 PM
get a cat like OURS, then take cat by the tail and beat mouse to death.

WOW!!! My cat has a brother! :)

Well, the one that passed away this summer was about worthless as a mouser. My wife and I watched one time as a mouse sat by the cat's feet and after a few seconds started running away. The dumb cat just sat there.

Now our other cat, he is deadly. He catches bats right out of the air. I have no idea how he does it, but he has done it on several occasions.

Anyway, to get rid of mice without a cat, just get a 5 gallon pail and put a bowl of sugar water and some crackers in the bottom. Then make a nice stack of books and clothes for the mouse to get to the rim of the bucket. Come back in a day and scoop the mice out and do what you want to them. Mice aren't the smartest creatures.

andy b.

halac
12-17-2009, 09:02 PM
I've put several of these throughout my workshop.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/m753

So far no sign of the little critters.

J Tiers
12-17-2009, 11:28 PM
The cats have always dealt with mice here......even to bringing me live mice and storing them in the bathtub. Now we have a new kitten, a bit under a year old and so far only about 14.5 lb, on his way to a probable 18-20. Stretched out, he's over a meter long toe-to-toe.

If there is any mouse-type or unexplained noise, that animal is ON it, so I don't expect much mouse trouble, except maybe cleaning up the odd bits.

tdkkart
12-17-2009, 11:39 PM
Cats rule.

We had a fair number of chipmunks/ground squirrels around our place in the year that we've lived there. They took up residence in my woodpile, and in the woods around the house, weren't hurting anything, and were kinda fun to watch.

I hadn't really noticed a dwindling population until one morning wifey went out to get the paper, a couple minutes later she came back in the door all sorta white faced and sad looking.
Just as she'd walked by the woodshed a chipmunk scurried across the drive just in time to be flattened by a big orange cat that had been sitting on top of the woodpile.

I had noticed the cat around a bit, and finally put 2 and 2 together with a noticeable drop in the rodent population in the previous weeks.

By later this fall the rodent population was completely gone.

HSS
12-18-2009, 12:30 PM
Ok it's looking at what you read and snooping thru your files... are you sure it's not a Rat from the Government? :eek:
To ketch... place pork rhine under propped up bucket should have it trapped shortly... Dem Rats can't pass up Pork. :D

Well Tinkerer, I will agree with you to a point. Everyone knows you can't use a bucket, it has to be a barrel for the pork.:D :D

Patrick

Scishopguy
12-18-2009, 01:19 PM
357 mag or 30/06 laser site,alcohol..your choice turn all lights off,drink alcohol till gone and shoot at the sounds you hear.havent tried it but i think it just might work!!either way let me know.....

Looks like you too are a fan of Joseph Heller's "Catch 22"

Scishopguy
12-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Our old kitty used to catch all sorts of critters. She brought home a rabbit, numerous squirrels, a flying squirrel (which we got away from her uninjured and released), and many snakes and lizards. Just to show us her sense of humor, she would catch lizards and tree frogs to deposit in the house alive. She brought in the biggest damn tree frog I have ever seen and turned him loose in the bedroom. It took us half an hour of frantic attempts to grab him to finally get him deposited outside. The whole time the cat sat watching and probably laughing her butt off at the stupid people. :D :D :D