PDA

View Full Version : Welding Tiny Parts

debequem
10-15-2003, 04:52 PM
How do I economically fuse or weld a 0.093" steel bearing to the center of a strip of spring steel leaf that is about 0.375" long and 0.093" wide?

The ball will not see a lot of abuse, but I don't want it to seperate from thesteel leaf. Epoxy of some sort of glue is not likely a good solution. This has to be a long term relationship for years and years and I don't want fatigue to cause a failure.

Marv

Evan
10-15-2003, 05:15 PM
When I worked for a scientific glass blowing shop years ago we got a job to make a hundred glass one-way valves. We needed to figure out a way to grind the valve seats down inside the valve for a glass ball to fit on. I figured out a tool made of a three inch length of 1/8 welding rod with a 3/16 bearing welded on the end. I spot welded it. Put the bearing on a tiny dimple in a small piece of copper plate and the rod in the chuck of a drill press, hooked up jumper cables from the spot welder and clamped the spot welder on with an insulator between the jaws. It worked because it didn't matter if the end of the bearing had an arc mark.

In your case I would reflow silver solder it. It will kill the properties in the spring and bearing though. If that won't do then use low temp silver bearing solder.

Thrud
10-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Marv
Spot weld it or nickle/silver braze. Silver solder doesn mot hold well on chrome balls. You can also drill a small hole in the flat srip where the ball sits and spot weld it with a TIG torch set on lowest power.

debequem
10-15-2003, 06:00 PM
Hadn't thought about silver solder or brazing.

Loosing temper on the spring probably won't matter since the forces that the assembly will undergo are very small.

Thrud, thanks!. I hope you are doing well. Good to hear from you.

Marv