PDA

View Full Version : boat winches

gunsmith
10-14-2003, 08:15 PM
Has anybody seen drawings for the construction of sail boat type winches? I have just purchased an older wooden boat (commonly called a hole in the water into which one throws money) and it is going to be reconstructed as a 1930s style motor sailer. A two year project and I would like to take the time and construct her winches. Any sightings for such drawings???

mbensema
10-14-2003, 09:41 PM
I don't know of any drawings available, but you might want to try contacting Mystic Seaport Museum, they have a beautiful 1933 Schooner with probably just what you are looking for and might have drawings available.

http://www.mysticseaport.org/nf-home.htm

Dr. Rob
10-15-2003, 05:20 AM
What are you after, 'smith? Construction plans of how they looked from the outside, or construction plans for the two-speed gear train in a modern capstan winch?

Try the PTO. Lewmar and Antal are two manufacturers that come to mind.

gunsmith
10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Dr. Rob:
I'm afer an actual set of drawings either for a single speed or two speed capstan style. If necessary I could purchase a used junker and copy it. I was sort of looking for a ready made set of drawings if they were available. Just being a bear for punishment I guess.