PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Vacs

Boucher
12-17-2009, 09:00 PM
My old Dayton shop vac has served me well for many years but it is stubborn as a Mule when you try to move and steer it. I bought a new smaller hang on the wall model and put it by the drill press. The On/Off button is on the top/front and it is working good for this application.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0040.jpg

I went back looking while the wife was shopping and found that they have a new different model that has a remote On/Off switch on the wand. They were on sale and one followed me home. I hung it on the wall by the Lathe.
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0041.jpg
I need to add a hanger to suspend it at a convenient grab height. The first one is so noisy that I am concerened that it may not live very long. The second one works and sounds much better.

alanganes
12-17-2009, 10:15 PM
I like the look of that smaller rectangular one. Where did you buy that from?

RKW
12-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Kobalt = Lowes

I like the look of that smaller rectangular one. Where did you buy that from?

alanganes
12-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Thanks, I did not know that. We only recently got a Lowes around here, I have not even been in there yet.

RKW
12-17-2009, 10:40 PM
The big box stores are slowly poisoning all cities, I really don't like to use them if I can help it. Supposedly Kobalt is made in the USA ... Odd since I have seen packages in the store that clearly state "Made in China".

Thanks, I did not know that. We only recently got a Lowes around here, I have not even been in there yet.

Ken_Shea
12-17-2009, 11:52 PM
Boucher, good use of available tools, shop vacs are not put to enough usefulness I don't believe.

I have one, was a giveaway price at $50, all SS, twin motor Goodway, almost unused however it did need the secondary and prefilter, paid like $80 for that, now I don't want to get it dirty :D

Boucher
12-18-2009, 12:07 AM
The best prices on filters for my Dayton is at Tractor supply.

Black_Moons
12-18-2009, 02:14 AM
I have some $40 'shopvac' clone that I got.. origionaly I modifyed it to use bags as apparently only shopvac and one other type of 'shop' style vac actualy accept bags. Later on I removed the bags as I realised at $40 its worth less then a couple bags. Been working great for over a year now, just has some lame fabric condom that wraps over the motor intake that I wash in the sink every few bin changes.. mind you, I mainly vacuum up oily swaff. But it works great. Keeps the lathe and mill really tidy when a vacuum lives under them!

winchman
12-18-2009, 02:16 AM
In the first picture in the first post the hose has a 180-degree bend below the cannister. What kind of fitting is used there?

Roger

Dawai
12-18-2009, 06:35 AM
I got one of them HUGE arsed vacuums I bought at auction.. it was used to clean ductwork in buildings by a ac company. will suck and swallow a 3/4" nut..

Most vacuums are not sealed, there on the top is open motor, sometimes with brushes.. swarf, chips short this out.. the wall hanger is a good idea, but how do you get it down when it is full of say, 30lbs of chips? Are they made for this abuse?

I have 5 gallon buckets of chips under the pan on the lathe. A coal scoop, a HF magnet with pull-release, paint brushes, stick cut to go into the slots on the mill to push them out..

AND STILL, I track chips into the house.. and Still, I find them in tee shirt pockets after laundering.. and ...

Black_Moons
12-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Thats the advantage of my $40 vacuum.
Swaff drops into the motor and causes untold damage and smoke and sparks?
Oh well, buy another one, Got my 2 years service outta that vacuum.

HSS
12-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Do all your machining naked and you won't track any chips into the house or have chips in any pockets. :D :D

Patrick

Black_Moons
12-18-2009, 07:40 AM
What about the chips that get stuck in my beard? -_-;

Dawai
12-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Machining some good 4140.. jeeze.. needles without thread eyes. That'll kill a vacuum. Throwed 15 feet across the shop by the mill.

I have black spots all over both hands where I have been violated.. Naked, no thanks.. A wart on a knee where I had a chip stuck, probably still there. Had it before where it will go all the way to the bone, then back back out and make a pimple, and in the pimple is a piece of steel, or glass, or.. Then the sandblast pop-off that blasted my arm.. I had lil black bits of black beauty blast media coming to the surface of the skin for years afterwards. On the label it says "health" (0)... so.. perhaps I was not poisoned? or?? things quit working right daily.

Naked, nope.. A good machinist takes care of all his tools. Mine are oiled and put away out of harms way.

Boucher
12-19-2009, 07:05 PM
The first photo was taken after I had been picking some debris off the floor. The long ridgid pipe sections are not normally used. I cut the hose to the length that worked best for the drill press. The extry hose can be seen rolled up under the drill press in the picture. The 180 is just a loop in the hose not a fitting. I currently just stick the end of the hose over the curved wall hanger. I am going to make a special bracket to set it into.

I don't do enough volume of work for the size or lifting the vac from the bracket to be a problem. We are rural and only have one trash pickup per week.

The remote on/off switch on the wand on the second vac is going to work much better on the lathe.

On the old Dayton the hose and oil compatability have been somewhat of a problem over time. The better longer lasting hoses seem to be heavier and less flexable and user friendly. The hose on the new vac are lighter and easier to use. It remains to be seen how they hold up. In the past the good quality hose that I bought cost twice what these complete sets sold for.

jdunmyer
12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
My old Dayton shop vac has served me well for many years but it is stubborn as a Mule when you try to move and steer it

I have a Sears 30-gallon shop vac that I bought over 40 years ago. It got hard to roll around, so I welded up a cross of 1" X 1" square tubing and installed office chair casters or somesuch on the ends. A single bolt through the middle secures the cross to the bottom of the cannister. The legs of the cross stick out somewhat past the bottom, so the casters have a fairly wide footprint compared to original. The thing rolls very easily.

lazlo
12-19-2009, 08:04 PM
Supposedly Kobalt is made in the USA ... Odd since I have seen packages in the store that clearly state "Made in China".

That was a long time ago (late 90's), when Kobalt was affiliated with Snap-On. Lowes has since out-sourced the Kobalt brand to China.

Oldbrock
12-19-2009, 09:29 PM
I made the mistake of buying a shop vac from canadian tire, anybody want it. Wouldn't suck the skin of a rice pudding. Peter

kyfho
12-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I'm in the process of setting up my new shop, laying out conduit runs, plumbing for water and compressed air and such.

Any opinions on a central vac system while I'm at it?

It has two seperate bays. One side for mill and lathe work and the other side for wood working and other dusty jobs.