PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Mini Milling Machine

Cup
10-15-2003, 10:28 PM
Does anyone have opinions on the Grizzly G8689 Mini Milling Machine? A search of the BBS archives indicates that there is a problem with “constantly breaking the plastic drive”. Have any of you had better luck with this machine?

Bruce Griffing
10-15-2003, 10:37 PM
I have a Griz minimill and a Griz square column mill/drill. I like them both. The minimill is great for making small parts. I have a Shooting Star three axis DRO on both machines and am spoiled by the DRO. Would never go back to squinting at the dials and counting turns. I have broken one gear in several years use. I did not yet have my larger mill and I was abusing the minimill. I was using a one inch end mill to enlarge a hole in 3/8" thick steel and I got a little fast with the downfeed. I had on hand the Little Machine Shop spare parts kit and was able to fix it in a couple of hours. The newer motor controller is able to sense excess torque and keeps you out of trouble most of the time. I started the machine with the spindle lock on once and nothing happened. Just took it out and restarted the motor. No problem. The only issue with a small milling machine is that later you will want a larger one....