PDA

View Full Version : OT. Where is this bank located?

bob ward
12-21-2009, 09:09 AM
Recently I received an obviously fraudulent second chance offer on a US ebay item I had bid on. Interestingly, the fraudster must have hacked the sellers ebay account as the second chance offer actually came to me via ebay messages.

These are the payment details that came with the second chance offer.
Hello, If you agree make the payment directly to me by Bank Wire Transfer and send me the payment confirmation to my email: Account Name: Su Thien Vuong Account Type: Checking Routing Number: 124303065 Account Number: 008102111682 Bank Name: Zions Bank Best Regards, Su Thein Vuong

The fraudster must be confident that even though he/she provided bank details, the legal system of whatever country they are in is not going to be too concerned with their activities.

Someone on this board I'm sure knows how to interpret routing numbers and account numbers, so out of curiosity, where is this account located?

charlz
12-21-2009, 09:30 AM
http://www.routingnumbers.org/ and that does appear to be a legit Zion's Bank routing number. Zion's is out of Salt Lake City, Utah but have branches all over the western states including California where that routing number points to.

Did you contact the seller to see if they sent the 'second chance'? If not you might be able to report to Zion's that you believe that account is being used for fraudulent activity.

2ManyHobbies
12-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Lol, look it up on your favorite search engine. It seems to be a popular routing number that gets around.

firbikrhd1
12-21-2009, 10:02 AM
You can't be too careful these days. A few months ago I got a notice from Bank of America or at least what appeared to be a BOA notice but something just didn't seem right. A close inspection of the web page produced no discernible indications that the site was fraudulent. When I hovered my cursor over a link on the page the web address that appeared at the bottom of my browser wasn't a BOA address. I immediately contacted BOA and they followed up advising it was a fraudulent site. Had I not seen the odd web address attached to the link my identity may have been stolen, or worse.

Forrest Addy
12-21-2009, 10:10 AM
I've seen etimates that 2/3 of all internet traffic is connected with spam, malware, or fraud. Given that the internet has become a national resource as vital as the road system perhaps we should treat hackers, malware trafficers, and internet frauds like we do bandits.

Maybe a step further - like run them through a tree chipper.

Roy Andrews
12-21-2009, 01:39 PM
I've seen etimates that 2/3 of all internet traffic is connected with spam, malware, or fraud. Given that the internet has become a national resource as vital as the road system perhaps we should treat hackers, malware trafficers, and internet frauds like we do bandits.

i like the way you think Forrest. sea world and the like are always looking for food for their animals. sounds like instant chum.

RPease
12-21-2009, 01:41 PM

That would probabaly just dull the chipper........but being machinists, we can always sharpen the blades.......:D

Black_Moons
12-21-2009, 03:48 PM
mmmm, thousands of carbide inserts, chiping away spammers into little bits of swaff... a lovely sight.

jdunmyer
12-21-2009, 07:03 PM
This was from 4 years ago, when some Russian dudes caught a spammer and beat him to death: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/26/russian_spammer_killed/

Made my day when I read that, it did.

It is extremely unlikely that your bank would contact you by email, mine says specifically that they would never do so. Never, ever click on one of those links!

For that matter, don't ever follow ANY spammer's link, even if the product sounds interesting. All it does is encourage them; if spamming didn't work, it'd stop overnight. Don't ever click on those "unsubscribe" links, either. See:

http://www.spamprimer.com/

for more details.

gr8life
12-21-2009, 11:51 PM
Don't trust him! Send the money to me (cash) & I will take care of the whole deal.
ed
a name you can trust