PDA

View Full Version : Help! Wife has me in a pinch

jb-mck
12-21-2009, 10:55 AM
Long story short, my father-in-law told my wife that he wanted a set of logging tongs for Christmas. The caveat is that he wanted me to make them. Luckily I don't have to deliver by Friday!

Does anyone have a design, material specs, or ideas? I'm a novice at best so any help would be appreciated. The design should be easy enough, but choosing the right material will be critical.

Thanks.

Ken_Shea
12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Pretty straight forward by the looks of them.
Good quality tongs are likely forged but that is also likely out of the question, were it me, just any steel about 1/2" thick and a good grade 8 bolt for the rivet.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/images/Skidding-Tongs.jpg

Are you sure he wants "Logging" tongs and not "Log" tongs for a fireplace?

wierdscience
12-21-2009, 02:05 PM
Ya,I hope he means firewood tongs,logging tongs aren't as a simple as they look.

Ken_Shea
12-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Ya,I hope he means firewood tongs,logging tongs aren't as a simple as they look.

Never made a set but they look simple enough to me, what would the difficulty be?
If you mean time consuming then agreed, still, straight forward would seem to apply.

Mike Burdick
12-21-2009, 03:35 PM
...Long story short, my father-in-law told my wife that he wanted a set of logging tongs for Christmas....

If you want a "cheap" piece of steel to forge them from go to the junk yard and get a couple of tire irons - they have them all over the place. Once you get them to shape, re-temper them so they'll be strong! If you don't have a forge you can make one very easily and use charcoal as the fuel so no one will complain (People will think you are having a BBQ ;)). As for an anvil...any chunk of steel will work- be inventive!

By the way, once you start making things using a forge you'll find yourself with a whole new hobby...it's very addictive!;)

jb-mck
12-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Mike, I never thought about the tire irons. That sounds like a good idea. Let me see what I can dreadge out of the junk or pawn shops.

Any thoughts how O1 drill rod would work? Just an idea!

Boucher
12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Don't know if this idea will suffice. I found an old pair of Ice Tongs like used with block ice. They were in a antique shop but had a low price on them. They work great for taking wood from the wood room to the fire place. Personalize them with his name with stainless welding rod. I think that they could be cut from flat stock. For hand carrying wood they would not have to be super strong. If you are into blacksmithing projects the old steel in farm implements works good. There were lots of levers and flat stock that are easy to work. I have no idea what the alloy was but some of this steel is nice to work with.

Here are my tongs:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/IMG_0043.jpg

My photography is not great but I am making progress. The grid paper the tongs are laying on is 12X18. Hope this helps.

wierdscience
12-21-2009, 08:32 PM
Never made a set but they look simple enough to me, what would the difficulty be?
If you mean time consuming then agreed, still, straight forward would seem to apply.

Getting the heat treat,the alloy and the draw down right.The real ones have to stand some serious tonnage and abuse.

Ken_Shea
12-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Getting the heat treat,the alloy and the draw down right.The real ones have to stand some serious tonnage and abuse.

Ah, I see where you are coming from.
Well, it is after all for his father in law, good judgment is in order here.

teejay
12-21-2009, 09:40 PM
Use leaf spring (5160) from a 1 ton truck they are 3/8 thick cut out with a torch then heat and shape in a forge. to heat treat,heat to non-magnitic then quench in oil , buff a bright spot so you can see the heat colors,draw back to a pale straw color (450deg)then quench till cool.