PDA

View Full Version : Norwegian toilet seats

aostling
12-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm in Oslo, for a lutefisk Christmas with my brother and his family. Today I toured the Technical Museum, which has a good range of exhibits, including several vintage cars. I asked the attendent if I could see the Troll, the only car manufactured in Norway, but it had been taken off display. There was a therumin available for playing, so I tried making the eerie sounds from those 1950s B-grade sci-fi movies.

In terms of technology, Norway leads the world in many things for the home. I'm impressed with the toilet seats in my brother's new bathroom. The hinges incorporate dampers, so when a man is through, he merely flicks the seat and lid with a finger, and it floats down to a soft landing without making any noise. There is no excuse for leaving the toilet seat up in this country.

Can you buy these in North America too? -- if not, it might make a good HSM project if you want to get in some points with the ladies in the house.

Peter N
12-21-2009, 04:07 PM
Had them over here for years Allan, so if you can't get one over there (I'm sure you can) you can always get one from the UK.

Carld
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
My wife and I have agreed, since if I always put the seat down she has nothing to move and gets no exercise. Since we share the potty and she uses it more than I we each put the seat up and down as needed thereby not wearing out the hinges more than needed. ;) :p

There is nothing that pisses, I guess that is a good analogy here, me off more than thinking that men have to put the seat down so women don't have to exert themselves more than this.

So, have the feminazis removed your balls?

A.K. Boomer
12-21-2009, 04:49 PM
Well stated Carld, The incentive in my house is for them to put the seat back up or I'll pee on it --- esp. if im drinking, then again, maybe that's why im batching it right now - but then again - that's my point:)

Carld
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
ROFLMAO, :D I guess we have it figured right huh?

hojpoj
12-21-2009, 05:21 PM
I put down the seat AND the lid.

Because if *I* have to operate the seat, then *EVERYONE* has to operate the seat.

Your Old Dog
12-21-2009, 05:24 PM

That was my first thought on the post :D If you hosed the seat off a couple of times I think you'll find they'd rather you left it up to drain.

Forrest Addy
12-21-2009, 05:28 PM
What happened to "look before you sit?"

914Wilhelm
12-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Those kind of seats came standard on our "Toto" toilets.

Weston Bye
12-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Can you buy these in North America too?

Yep, Bemis Whisper Close. (I went in and checked) We got one at Target.

Lew Hartswick
12-21-2009, 06:28 PM

Because if *I* have to operate the seat, then *EVERYONE* has to operate the seat.
Now there is a good idea. :-)
What the "Gander" must put up with so to must the "Goose". :-)
...lew...

bruto
12-21-2009, 06:58 PM
I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too) - but I suspect that the main function of the damped lid may be for other reasons, one of which is that standard toilet seats actually do pose a rather nasty hazard to young boys whose height puts their delicate parts too near to the edge of the bowl. an open front helps, but damping seems a good idea just to prevent accidental slamming.

hojpoj
12-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too)

I have - my female friend and I shared an apartment in college. One day she came home and needed to relieve herself in the worst kind of way. However, she neglected to check before she sat. Fortunately she only got partway through before she realized her error.

Needless to say, she checked after that :D

Your Old Dog
12-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I would hate to mess up a good seatup vs. seatdown argument (I'm on the "check the seat before you sit" team - you never hear about men falling in, or women pissing on the lid if you shut that too) - but I suspect that the main function of the damped lid may be for other reasons, one of which is that standard toilet seats actually do pose a rather nasty hazard to young boys whose height puts their delicate parts too near to the edge of the bowl. an open front helps, but damping seems a good idea just to prevent accidental slamming.

Vermont too? We have a large population of young men here in New York walking around with one eyed snakes that look like the East Indian Flat Headed Cobra. It's damn near criminal. :(

gnm109
12-21-2009, 08:37 PM
I believe that the Beatles wrote a song about this....something about Norwegian Wood.....:)

HSS
12-21-2009, 08:47 PM

LOL I do the same thing, hojpoj and it doesn't bother my wife at all cause I explained it to her the exact same way you stated and that was 19 years ago. Besides, she's a really good woman. Hell of a lot better than the first one.

Patrick

Andrew_D
12-21-2009, 09:11 PM

Yup, that's the way it works here too!

Andrew

jimsehr
12-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Did you hear about the guy that got a divorce because everytime he came home the seat was up.
Jim

spope14
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
That damper thing just would not work in our home. I am now but 20 years into married bliss, and the one constant has been the toilet seat. In our house, when I go to the can, there MUST be the double wham - the sound of a standard quality american toilet seat hitting the toilet, and the lid rebounding off the seat immediately afterwards. This is true since week one of our marriage when SWMBO got caught with me forgetting.

I laugh. Last night, SWMBO sleeping right along, well deep asleep , must have been dreaming she was a kodiak bear or a chainsaw.... I sneak to the can...wife does not usually sleep well. I lower the seat slowly to prevent the double wham, and I swear....you can't make this stuff up...in between snores...SWMBO says "go put the seat down!". Never even really woke up, but I had to go and do the double wham.

Robin R
12-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm another seat and lid down type and it would really make my day if my wife peed on the lid. My favorite take on toilet seat etiquete is in About Schmidt, but you have to be ready for Cathy Bates in the hot tub.

Doozer
12-21-2009, 09:42 PM
If any one is married to a woman who nags you to put the toilet seat down, you married the wrong woman.
Life is too short to be nit picked.
When I wizz at home,I sit down to pee.
I am not queer, just lazy.
Lid stays up, seat stays down.
Life is good.
--Doozer

darryl
12-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Funny. I'm alone here again for awhile, so there's no excuse for me not knowing if the seat is up or down. I've gotten used to putting it down. Stumbled in there one night and nearly fell in- went over to the mirror afterwards and gave that a-hole -sh-t for leaving the seat up.

beanbag
12-21-2009, 10:03 PM
I've been putting both the seat and lid down ever since one of my friends pointed out a long time ago that every time you flush, all that swirling water creates a fine mist of water and ... well, you know.

Ken_Shea
12-21-2009, 10:44 PM
I YI YI, I can see it's going to be a loooong winter :D

Pete F
12-22-2009, 12:32 AM
I've been putting both the seat and lid down ever since one of my friends pointed out a long time ago that every time you flush, all that swirling water creates a fine mist of water and ... well, you know.

That was on mythbusters at one point (wikipedia link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MythBusters_%282004_season%29#Toothbrush_Surprise) , the wiki info is accurate as far as I remember the episode). The conclusion was that, yes, flushing the toilet creates an aerosol spray, and yes, there is fecal bacteria in the air. However, it is everywhere, so I think putting the lid down isn't going to help that much.

-Pete

J Tiers
12-22-2009, 12:45 AM

I dunno about anyone else.... but the reasons I married my wife lead to the fact that I like to do nice things for her........ So I open doors, carry things, and PUT THE SEAT DOWN, not because I get nagged about them (never have been), but because I consider those things to be nice things to do for one's wife.... It has never been an issue, and I don't intend that it will.

As for the seat, makes sense, you have a porcelain device, makes no sense to drop even a plastic "hammer" on it....... The shock absorber sounds like a high-end device............ for people like my neighbors down the street, who have a very fancy bathroom, separate tub, shower, and steam bath, place all done in "subway tile" etc..... My place is a bit more utilitarian.

Ian B
12-22-2009, 01:21 AM
Of course, you could always lighten the mood by lifting the seat, tightly stretching cling film over the bowl and putting the seat back down...

Evan
12-22-2009, 01:25 AM
I'm with Doozer. Besides, I tend to lose my balance in the dark because my feet are numb.

lakeside53
12-22-2009, 01:34 AM
Lid up... lid down..
Standing... sitting...

I tried sitting once, but.. it was in the morning and I was confronted by a physics problem... didn't have Evan's phone number... and bending the member wasn't going to work... Funny thing though - standing didn't help much either. :eek:

Balconies over a lawn are the best solution... :D

Black_Moons
12-22-2009, 02:35 AM
lakeside53: Ah, all those little problems in life that could so easily be solved if you only had evans phone number for 24/7 support in such endevors..

Marc M
12-22-2009, 03:12 AM
Jeesh.. Avoid all the controversy -

Pee in the sink! :D

Allan Waterfall
12-22-2009, 03:41 AM

Should you take the dishes out first ?

Allan

Peter N
12-22-2009, 03:45 AM

Allan

Thanks - I now have to clean all that coffee off my keyboard and screen....
Very funny :D

The Artful Bodger
12-22-2009, 03:52 AM

Allan

Why are there dishes in the sink? They should be on the floor where the dogs can clean them.:p

old-biker-uk
12-22-2009, 03:58 AM
A seat? Why didn't I think of that?
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/Temp/images/toilet2.jpg

Mark

Marc M
12-22-2009, 03:59 AM

Allan

Removal of dishes is at your option... :eek:

beanbag
12-22-2009, 04:08 AM
Lid up... lid down..
Standing... sitting...

I tried sitting once, but.. it was in the morning and I was confronted by a physics problem... didn't have Evan's phone number... and bending the member wasn't going to work... Funny thing though - standing didn't help much either. :eek:

Balconies over a lawn are the best solution... :D

Some would call this a "high quality problem".

andy_b
12-24-2009, 01:17 AM

I have a pee and sink story, but that is for another time. :)

I agree with Bruto's post. We have a Kohler dampened seat and both reasons we got it for involved my son. While I don't think he ever clanked his wanker in it (he may have once, so we didn't want to chance it again), he was ALWAYS letting the dang thing go flopping down and sounding like it was about to crack the bowl (the seat, not his wanker). When my wife and I saw the auto seats, we thought it would be great to get one. There is one large problem with them. Once you get used to one it becomes habit to just give the seat a little flip at the top to start it on its way closed. It can be a little startling when you give an undampened seat that little flip and it goes crashing down. :)

andy b.

Paul Alciatore
12-24-2009, 02:02 AM
I once worked at a place that had a shared lavatory for both genders in the area in which I worked. The ladies were always complaining (in notes) about leaving the seat up and it being soiled. I finally got tired of seeing their notes and posted one of my own that simply stated that we raise the seat to keep it clean.

The notes stopped.

I still can't figure out how they thought raising the seat would make it get soiled.

davidfe
12-24-2009, 07:36 AM
that is what a front porch is for. No need with any seat. LOL:eek:

Well stated Carld, The incentive in my house is for them to put the seat back up or I'll pee on it --- esp. if im drinking, then again, maybe that's why im batching it right now - but then again - that's my point:)