PDA

View Full Version : Box Turning Tool

sconisbee
12-21-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm starting to make up some tooling for the itty bitty turret/capstan lathe i have just picked up, its small, similar in size to a hardinge DV59. 3/4" bore turret holes, lever turret and cross slide....

Anyway, i want to make up some box tools but im having trouble invisioning how the micrometer adjustment in them is made up and what retains everything. Anyone that has any pics info on box tools that they could share? or perhaps someone that has pics of a disassembled box tool would be great?

The type of box tool im looking at making is like this one...
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g290/synoguy/Boxtool.jpg

Rustybolt
12-21-2009, 06:55 PM
The rollers have little dovetails. There is a slot undernieth that corresponds with a flange on the screw. I don't remember what the pitch of the screw is. The rollers are 90 deg from each other.

As an apprentice we learned to grind the cutting tools by hand.

BobWarfield
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Box tools are cool!

Various people have made interesting approximations. Frank Ford, I seem to recall has one.

Cheers,

BW

Rustybolt
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
"00" double ought is 5/8 shank if I remember right.

Black_Moons
12-21-2009, 08:11 PM
Id love to see some more pics of these tools, they look very useful for turning small diamiters.

TGTool
12-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Not directly relevant to the original question, but FYI Bob Rudowski has plans for a turret and tooling for a small lathe. You can see how he did his box tool at www.downrivertools.com