PDA

View Full Version : OT: How to put a dog in an infinite loop

Pete F
12-22-2009, 12:16 AM
This actually happened about 6 months ago, but I thought some here would get a kick out of it...

Our dog, Daisy, gets a vitamin every night at bed time. As you can imagine, since it is something she gets to eat, she loves them. At bed-time, after being taken out, she runs back to her house in the back hall and waits for her vitamin. One night, we had forgotten to put her bedding back in her house after laundering it. Putting it in there while she was also in there would be problematic, to say the least. So, I stood at the end of the hall with her vitamin in my hand, on an open palm, and called for her. She ran towards me, but when she saw that I was holding her vitamin in my hand, she turned around and ran back to her house. She knows she only gets her vitamin there. Smart dog!

However, when she got back to her house, she turned around and saw that I was holding something out in my hand. She then ran towards me, until she was close enough to see that it was a vitamin. At which point she turned around and ran back to her house. This went on for several rounds. Smart, but short term memory, not so much...

After a bit, I closed my hand after she started running towards me, grabbed her collar when she was close enough, waited until my wife put the bedding in her house, then showed her the vitamin, and things went back to normal.

Animals can be fascinating...

-Pete

Paul Alciatore
12-22-2009, 12:50 AM
That's a great story. Thanks for a great laugh.

Dawai
12-22-2009, 06:01 AM
Dogs are autistic too.. make "EYE" contact when you talk to them.. they understand a whole lot more..

Mine is anyways. Butch was too..

My wife, Carrol, was sitting in the recliner.. I looked at Lex, said "Momma's home".. and he shot outside and was standing out there looking at her car, waiting on her to get out.. WE laughed till we near had tears..

We bought my son a baby monitor.. it had a motion button, each time a child would move, a voice would reassure it.. I recorded BUTCH a note.. "BUTCH come here".. Butch sit.. butch, want some cheese... THE POOR DOG, he came over to the monitor, then sat, then the mention of cheese would make him start wagging all over, then it would start all over again.. he must have sat a dozen times.. for the motion detector...

David

Your Old Dog
12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
..................We bought my son a baby monitor.. it had a motion button, each time a child would move, a voice would reassure it.. I recorded BUTCH a note.. "BUTCH come here".. Butch sit.. butch, want some cheese... THE POOR DOG, he came over to the monitor, then sat, then the mention of cheese would make him start wagging all over, then it would start all over again.. he must have sat a dozen times.. for the motion detector...

David

This reminds me of the singing bass fish on a plaque my dad gave us as a Christmas gag gift. Our 8 year old yellow Lab went nuts when we put it on the floor up against the wall and he walked by it. He then must of discovered we were laughing AT him and not WITH him. Labs don't like it when you laugh AT them, at least none of my 4 did.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/09/29/article-1216814-002AE93A00000258-902_468x315.jpg

AD5MB
12-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Barney used to sit in the living room window waiting for us kids to come home from school. 4 PM; waiting patiently. 4:15; getting nervous.

In the summer you could walk up behind Barney and talk to him at 4:10. He would glance at you, then look out the window.

We had to walk out the back door, walk around the block and come back the way we came home from school.

Then he would enthusiatically greet the kids who had been playing with him all day.

loose nut
12-22-2009, 11:00 AM
It's a Pavlovian response, dogs get set in there ways and don't want to change, much like humans.

Bill Pace
12-22-2009, 11:08 AM
One spring I was starting to till the garden and on about my 2nd pass I noticed my Australian Shepard, "Pepper", seemed to be acting strange, and as I made each successive pass the more agitated she got. So, finally on about the 6-7th pass I see her madly digging in what would be the next pass I made. She pretty quickly had what looked to be a bone, and, head and tail held high off she went. I had to stop for a couple minutes chuckling and being rather amazed - I finished tilling and didnt see her again....

Gotta love my dogs!!

Oldbrock
12-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Daylight saving time sure throws Laddy for a loop. He expects me home from band practice at 9 30 tuesdays and wednesdays. When the clocks change it takes him months to adjust to the new time. Wife says he grumbles and groans for the hour waiting for me to come off the ferry. He is 12 and sure has his routines locked in. Peter

JeffKranz
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
It's a Pavlovian response, dogs get set in there ways and don't want to change, much like humans.

I must say that his Pavlovian response is perfect. My dog will be sleeping on may lap under a blanket and as soon as I turn off the TV there is a relay that goes "click". In the middle of a sound sleep, he jumps off my lap and heads full speed to his cage where he waits for the good night treat. It never gets old watching this event. Lately, my wife will turn off her cell phone that that noise wakes him up. He fights to race her to the steps and barks at her all the way up the step where he can't go.

I read somewhere that the definition of unconditional love is.. Lock up your wife and dog in the trunk of the car and when you open the trunk in one hour you see who really loves you...

loose nut
12-25-2009, 03:01 PM
Dogs are the only animal that I know of that , if treated decently, will love you unconditionally and fight to the death to protect you.

It doesn't get much better then that.

TGTool
12-25-2009, 04:54 PM
I read somewhere that the definition of unconditional love is.. Lock up your wife and dog in the trunk of the car and when you open the trunk in one hour you see who really loves you...

Another one is that real love is staying up all night with a sick child ...

... or a healthy adult.

:D

KIMFAB
12-26-2009, 12:23 AM
If you want to have some real fun get a laser pointer and wave it around in a dim room.
Cats like it too.

toolmaker76
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
My dogs got toys for Christmas- our canine family members open their gifts on Christmas Eve.

Two years running now, our basset hound can't go to bed without her new toys. Normally she doesn't sleep with them, but its something about Christmas!

Walter
12-28-2009, 01:46 AM
This actually happened about 6 months ago, but I thought some here would get a kick out of it...

Our dog, Daisy, gets a vitamin every night at bed time. As you can imagine, since it is something she gets to eat, she loves them. At bed-time, after being taken out, she runs back to her house in the back hall and waits for her vitamin. One night, we had forgotten to put her bedding back in her house after laundering it. Putting it in there while she was also in there would be problematic, to say the least. So, I stood at the end of the hall with her vitamin in my hand, on an open palm, and called for her. She ran towards me, but when she saw that I was holding her vitamin in my hand, she turned around and ran back to her house. She knows she only gets her vitamin there. Smart dog!

However, when she got back to her house, she turned around and saw that I was holding something out in my hand. She then ran towards me, until she was close enough to see that it was a vitamin. At which point she turned around and ran back to her house. This went on for several rounds. Smart, but short term memory, not so much...

After a bit, I closed my hand after she started running towards me, grabbed her collar when she was close enough, waited until my wife put the bedding in her house, then showed her the vitamin, and things went back to normal.

Animals can be fascinating...

-Pete

My first Rottweiler "CC" was a definitely routine oriented. My buddy John used to come over (CC loved john to death, along with a few other select people besides myself) and CC would wiggle patiently until John had seated himself in the kitchen. (We had benches in the kitchen then) Anyways CC would jump up on the seat next to John and without fail would lick and slurp at John's face until she managed to get in a big old slurp right square on John's mouth. Then it was all over as if a switch had been flicked. She'd hop down and relax on the floor. I found it quite amusing, John managed to maintain good humor about it all, but in the few short years that CC was around she never failed that ritual. John was the only person she did that with.

motorcyclemac
12-28-2009, 02:45 AM
Years back when I used to smoke cigarettes I became amused with my German Shepard. I started to notice he responded to my actions. I never did smoke in the house. I noticed that as I pulled a cigarette from my shirt pocket he would get right up and walk to the door. I would go outside to smoke and he would wait till he heard the lid close on my zippo and then wander off around the house and into the woods. He wasn't any where that he could see me. He would return up the steps exactly at the time I would take the last drag and reach to stub it out. Now at first I thought there had to be some freak thing about it. He did it with far too much regularity and would be on time give or take a few seconds. He had to have some time awareness as to how long it took to smoke a 100 length cigarette. I wondered if he heard something..like my deck chair squeak as I reached for the ashtray..or something.

I quit the coffin nails so I never did figure it out. I don't smoke consistently anymore so he has broken the habit. I still burn a cigar on occasion or my pipe...on occasion..but there is no system to it.

He goes with me when I drive my old pickup. He doesn't go in the wife's car or my Jeep. So his pickup truck rides in the cab are a treat. Oddly when we come home he will jump out of the cab...run to the house...and come back barking his alert call that someone is here. Uh...duh! It is US...you nimrod...WE are home. Sometimes he is smart as heck...times like that...I wonder.

Cheers
Mac.