PDA

View Full Version : OT? Interesting Robot Video

Tony
12-22-2009, 07:50 AM
When I first saw this I though, if anyone, the folks here would
appreciate it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KxjVlaLBmk&feature=player_embedded

I was particularly impressed with the rice-tweezers thing and absolutely
floored by the "dynamic regrasp" (toward the end).

I'm still unsure if the robot somehow predicts where the phone is going
to be (some fast math!) or if its a visual feedback kind of thing.

Hope you like it. My apologies if this is old news.

-Tony

lazlo
12-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Wow, that's extremely impressive! That's the robotics lab at the University of Tokyo. They specialize in Parallel Processing for Sensor Fusion (using sensors to control machines and in this case, robotic manipulators). Their web site and blog with a bunch more videos is here:

http://www.k2.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/papers/fusion_movies-e.html

I'm still unsure if the robot somehow predicts where the phone is going to be (some fast math!) or if its a visual feedback kind of thing.

They're doing high-speed image recognition from stereo cameras to control an extremely sophisticated, high-speed manipulator (a 3-digit hand).

I was astonished at the high-speed dribbling -- that's stuff out of a science fiction movie!

andy_b
12-24-2009, 01:23 AM
WOW!!! is right.

....and on 21 December 2012 SkyNet became self-aware....

Once someone lets a few of these babies loose, humans are toast.

andy b.

Tony Ennis
12-24-2009, 08:39 AM
....and on 21 December 2012 SkyNet became self-aware....

heh. They're still stupid as a box of rox.

When we have real AI it will signal the end of man, IMO. We'll devolve.

Rustybolt
12-24-2009, 09:13 AM
Actually. Tossing something up in the air and then catching it is very impressive. The coordination of the visual sensor component and the "hand" sensor component is a marvel.

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 09:15 AM
lazlo is right they can see. We have these at work. They are nothing like the one on the video. The ones at work pick parts off a conveyor and place them on a weld fixture that welds nuts on the part. Then it drops the part on another convayer face up a second robot looks at it. If it is missing a nut it will pick it off the conveyor and drops it in the reject bend. If it has the nuts it will let it go on by