PDA

View Full Version : New shiping oil

Black_Moons
12-22-2009, 07:45 PM
Anyone else bought new stuff from china only to be greated by oil insted of cosmoline?
Iv got a new spindex and a new 6x5 swivel bandsaw that insed of being covered in thick waxy grease that must be painstakingly removed, have been coated in what appears to be much like way oil, very thick but flowing.. clear more or less. Do I need to bother removing these oils? they seem so nice and lubracating I never bothered on my bandsaw even though it says in the manual to clean it, I suspected the manual refered to the old grease.

I kinda like the new oily stuff, definately no rust on my spindex or bandsaw, they coated most of it in this oil, like a 1~2mm thick layer of oil in horzontal spots.

Carld
12-22-2009, 07:51 PM
Take it apart and wash it completely and lube and assemble it.

Teenage_Machinist
12-22-2009, 08:32 PM
My lathe came in an ugly brown oil. I cleaned what I could get at, disassembled some parts, and waited for the way oil to displace it.

lakeside53
12-22-2009, 09:06 PM
The oil is likely junk, and has the factory/shipping grit clinging to it...

I took part a small phase II AXA toolpost and cleaned it - incredible what ended up in the container of solvent..

Black_Moons
12-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Iv seen filthy chinese stuff before, but this bandsaw and spindex where clean, just.. lots and lots of clean clear oil (Slightly milky, but definately oil)
None of the normal wads of grit like it was rolling around on a dirt floor.

Bill Pace
12-22-2009, 09:57 PM
Three - four years ago I bought one of the 12x36 lathes and it came in with a similar sounding oil on it. Was a surprise to me also as I was used to the red grease? on every thing else I had bought. And, like you, the lathe was really clean. The horror stories were going around at that time about the gear boxes, aprons, etc being filled with casting sand and metal shavings, so I proceeded to tear it down to get all that out of it ---- surprise, surprise, I couldnt find a trace of sand or shavings anywhere. Very pleasant surprise -- that was a nice lathe.

Black_Moons
12-22-2009, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, Maybe the chinese have been listening to our annoyances at all the grime and grease/wax.

I know one area that local manufacturing is still competative is unpainted parts that must be striped down and cleaned after transport due to dirt and the wax being hard to strip/replace with oil without solvent baths (Unfortualy I forgot to buy a parts washer big enough to drop my lathe into)

Conversely, this bandsaw/spindex came plastic baged with excesses of nice clean oil all over.. Im allmost wondering if they diped the thing or sprayed it down with a hose!

I wonder if its the mark of some new factory(s) thats actualy operating.. cleanly... Not envormentaly clean, but just ya know, no dirt floors kinda clean :P

Bill Pace
12-22-2009, 10:19 PM
Earlier this year I got a 9x12 saw from Enco and it also had the oil on it, though it wasnt slathered on - was pretty much only on the exposed metal surfaces, and it also was very clean.

Heres a shot that shows the oil somewhat around the vise area and you can see its pretty well contained to the metal surfaces only - that look similar to what you got?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/IMG_0775-1.jpg

Black_Moons
12-22-2009, 11:55 PM
Hmm I think mine might of been a little whiter but yea more or less. Mainly on exposed surfaces but it seemed to have transfered to other surfaces.. maybe it was just all over the bag.

flutedchamber
12-23-2009, 12:12 AM
My cutoff saw from Grizzly came coated with that very same oil. I wiped off the heavier areas and left the rest. Zero rust one year later.:D

Tinkerer
12-23-2009, 12:41 AM
We'll probably find out in a few years that it's contains some byproduct that'll make your most valued tool fall off. :eek:

Or not... :D

dp
12-23-2009, 01:58 AM
I just got a set of edge finders from Fisher and they're packed in some kind of sticky but not gooey preservative. It's thin enough it has no color, but it does look like it will wash away in the solvent tank overnight. My Grizzly lathe was slathered in red goo - there's still red goo tucked into hard to reach areas.

The edge finders look well made, as it happens. These are single-ended and I'm wondering what happens if you unscrew the screw on the fixed end... Time will tell.

EVguru
12-23-2009, 05:23 AM
Lanolin (derived from Sheep's wool) is a good rust preventative for small tools and doesn't need to be cleaned off before use.

I bought a BS0 dividing head from my boss (his metal shop is now a wood shop). He was rather surprised later that week to see it in little parts on my bench. I explained that he'd never cleaned it and I had for instance found a little piece of swarf under one of the hardened washers for the needle roller thrust bearing. Not so long ago he was passing through and I had the head back together, so I told him to go wind the handle. He couldn't believe the difference that a clean and adjust had made.

jackary
12-23-2009, 05:38 AM
The new hunting axe I got for my wife was used straight out of the packet
with no ceremonial cleaning or touching up with diamond laps, she said the cutting angles were just fine. But she takes much more care of the sacrificial
sword that her mother stole for her. Its always carefully coated in Zak oil before use then covered in bear fat for storage. She's had that for years now and even given the heavy use, apart from a slight twist in the blade its as good as new.
Alan