X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • john hobdeclipe
    • Jun 2005

Question about oil seals

If I want to use an o ring or an oil seal to seal against low pressure water loss around a rotating shaft, do I need to specify anything unique as far as seal design or material?

This will be light duty...say a 3/4" shaft at no more than 800 rpm and about 10 or maybe 20 pounds of water pressure.
  • HSS
    • Feb 2008

John,
    Is there any way you can use a mechanical seal like US seal? An O'ring prolly won't last. www.ussealmfg.com Or maybe if you have a spa and pool supply they carry those seals. If you don't want to go to a mechanical seal then you could maybe use a mechanical packing.

Patrick

Comment

• Black_Moons
      • Aug 2009

http://www.rlhudson.com/O-Ring%20Boo...ing-tables.htm this page here might help you reguarding the proper dimentions to turn everything to for the seal type you need. Im not sure about the rpms and such..
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

• Ken_Shea
        • Aug 2006

Patrick,
        Believe you may be underestimating the longevity of the humble little o-ring

Comment

• HSS
          • Feb 2008

I don't care much for orings in a rotating application. They work ok at first but will wear out. In a stationary application they are great and I use them for that. Even in an ice machine where there is rotation and no water pressure the bearings are sealed with a mechanical seal and the evaporator shell is sealed with an oring, but the shell doesn't rotate. Just my .02 worth.

Patrick

Comment

• Ken_Shea
            • Aug 2006

In that application your advice is worth more the 2cents.

Comment

• Carld
              • Aug 2006

Well, if you use an O ring make it easy to replace it but a lip seal will outlast an O ring.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

• john hobdeclipe
                • Jun 2005

The device I want to make is a "water swivel" adapter to feed water down the hollow shank of a small (1/2" or less) diamond core drill. Here are a couple of examples:

I'm thinking along the lines of "E1" in the second link...to accept straight shaft drills.

I wonder what they use for sealing?

Comment

• Evan
                  • May 2003

I wonder what they use for sealing?
                  Perhaps nothing? Does it matter if it leaks a bit at that pressure?
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Carld
                    • Aug 2006

It looks simple enough to make one and since the water is needed for the cutting I would put a seal or a O ring at the top where the stub shaft is and let the water come out the bottom all it wanted to.
                    It's only ink and paper

Comment

• darryl
                      • Jan 2003

Lip seals aren't hard to find, and they do the job. If you're going to use an o-ring, maybe consider using two with a spacer between them- you would fill the gap between them with o-ring grease. Probably the more important thing is the finish on the shaft where the seal will ride.
                      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• flutedchamber
                        • Feb 2009

Try a quad ring seal. Usually the same place that sells Orings sells quad rings. That way you have 2 edges sealing everything.

Comment

• black powder
                          • Jul 2005

Most all small rotary unions use "o"rings for seals .A quad ring will also work,previsions for lubing either must be made .
                          snoopy

Comment

Working...
                          X