PDA

View Full Version : Pinging DP

Fasttrack
12-23-2009, 02:21 AM
Hey DP - How's that Whipp shaper? Did you get it restored or is it still in progress? I was just watching that fantastic video of the shaper on youtube and was wondering what had become of it ...

dp
12-23-2009, 02:41 AM
Hey DP - How's that Whipp shaper? Did you get it restored or is it still in progress? I was just watching that fantastic video of the shaper on youtube and was wondering what had become of it ...

I got fickle finger of fated on that. The restoration and my retirement were running neck and neck and when it came time to vacate our house and get ready to move I had to recognize there would not be room for it in the new digs. So I put it up for sale - and here's where the fickle finger kicked in. The economy tanked and we got rushed to get things done in a big hurry. Nobody was interested in buying the shaper so I decided to scrap it - we were in that big hurry, and even moved a lot of stuff to Eastern Washington.

I started parting it out - I gave the vise and several components to Evan who has the same model, and the rest is still in the shop waiting for good weather so I can get it to the scrapper.

Well, to make a short story long, the housing market disappeared here and we couldn't sell our principle residence - the buyer backed out at the last minute. Our tenants had moved out of the house we were going to move in to, so we had two house payments to deal with, and our retirement investments fell by half. I had to take our house off the market, rent out our retirement home, put off retirement, and go back to work and that's where I am today. So I was officially retired for appx 8 months, most of which was during the deep period decline of the recent recession.

In the mean time I bought a smaller Atlas shaper because I still want a nice shaper, and I was using it just a couple days ago.

BTW, that Whipp shaper has a 220 VAC 1HP motor on it that is free to a good home in the Seattle area. It's seen in the video. The rest of it is just iron waiting to be melted down into a new Grizzly/South Bend lathe which is a shame, since it turns out it was finally possible to finish restoring it while I'm helping Barry balance his budget and fund the stimulus packages :)

No regrets, though - I had a hell of a lot of fun with it and learned tons about shapers.

Speaking of the video - that was an interesting project. I opened the garage door, turned on some lights, and started filming it with a Sony digital camera that has a movie capability. I imported it into my Mac laptop and ran it through the iMovie software that came with it, using a template for the opening scene. The audio is a Hawaiian braddah - one guy does all the voices. I was listening to his music as I watched the vid and noticed the timing of the ram matched the song nearly perfectly. I fiddled a bit with it to get the timing right, did the closing credits to crash off screen as the last note ended. My only goal was to prevent getting any background of my shop on the vid cuz I didn't want anyone in youtube land to see what and where my stuff is :)

Fasttrack
12-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, Dennis! As my mother would say, "it just wasn't meant to be" :)

Thanks for the update, though. I really enjoyed that video. I can't believe that is just one guy! I figured it was an "a cappella" type deal.