PDA

View Full Version : DRO's

old blue
12-23-2009, 09:54 PM
Looking at getting DRO's for a mill. What brands do I need to stay away from.

Thanks

SGW
12-24-2009, 08:57 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for. What kind of quality and accuracy will you be satisfied with? There are several that I, personally, wouldn't want, but other people are perfectly happy with them.

Acu-Rite, Heidenhain, Anilam, Newall, are probably the top brands. Mtutoyo and Sony probably fall into that category too.

There are also some pretty good Korean and Chinese imports.

old blue
12-24-2009, 10:58 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for. What kind of quality and accuracy will you be satisfied with? There are several that I, personally, wouldn't want, but other people are perfectly happy with them.

Acu-Rite, Heidenhain, Anilam, Newall, are probably the top brands. Mtutoyo and Sony probably fall into that category too.

There are also some pretty good Korean and Chinese imports.

I think mitutoyo is the cheapest of the name brand stuff. I found this place
http://dropros.com/#Why_should_I_buy_from_DRO_PROS
any idea if there stuff is any good?

.RC.
12-24-2009, 02:07 PM
I have an Easson and really like it...I have a Sino on the lathe, it is OK, just different, maybe a bit less user friendly but has more features..

davidwdyer
12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
I am using a Fagor (made in Spain I believe) which perhaps doesn't have as many features as others, but the repeatability is amazing.

lakeside53
12-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Look up JENIX. It is Korean (top quality), scales with accuracy as good or better than the major brands, and about their 1/2 price... They have kits to fit most brands.

loose nut
12-25-2009, 02:49 PM
I am using a Fagor (made in Spain I believe) which perhaps doesn't have as many features as others, but the repeatability is amazing.

I put Fagor Dro's on my mill also, very rugged, accurate, built to last, about mid range on cost.

Yes, built in Spain not Asian and the level of features depends on the model. The cheaper ones have numeric readouts with the usual built in functions, there are models with LCD screens and fancy function display.

I called the US service line with a question on using one of the built in functions and ended up having a half hour talk with him on a variety of subjects, none of this 90 seconds and out stuff. They where very helpful and the service rep told me that they keep parts in stock for anything they have sold for over the last 20 years if a repair is necessary.

You don't hear of Fagor that much in NA as much as other brands but they are equal too or better than most and cheaper then a lot of them. I liked mine enough that I put one on my lathe too.

hwingo
12-25-2009, 03:52 PM
I have a SINO on my lathe and a Grizzly on the mill. I cannot speak to *accuracy* of either though I use both daily. I've grown to trust both. Both have served me quite well up to this point. I had no choice of DROs when purchasing my lathe; the SINO came with the lathe. To be honest, the SINO was the first DRO I ever owned thus my knowledge of DROs (brand included) was scant at best when I received my new lathe. I made a conscious choice when purchasing the DRO for my mill. The Grizzly has large illuminated numbers and supports 3 axis. Installation was new to me thus difficult. I have insufficient experience to offer names of less desirable DROs.

All in all, both mentioned have done what I've required of them.

Harold

vpt
04-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Anyone tried the latest cheapest yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Axis-Digital-Readout-and-Glass-Linear-Scale-DRO-kits-For-Mill-BRIDGEPOR-Lathe-/301873934165?hash=item464916af55:g:wq0AAOSwT5tWQJz X

flylo
04-30-2016, 05:31 AM
TPAC tools, on Ebay or from Chicago 2 axis under $400 shipped, talk to a real American that knows his stuff, arrives in a couple days & has a common sense 5 year warranty. www.tpactools.com

RB211
04-30-2016, 08:39 AM
TPAC tools, on Ebay or from Chicago 2 axis under $400 shipped, talk to a real American that knows his stuff, arrives in a couple days & has a common sense 5 year warranty. www.tpactools.com

I can confirm that these DRO's are top quality! I bought mine directly from the manuf.

daveo
04-30-2016, 12:16 PM
TPAC tools, on Ebay or from Chicago 2 axis under $400 shipped, talk to a real American that knows his stuff, arrives in a couple days & has a common sense 5 year warranty. www.tpactools.com (http://www.tpactools.com)

I will 3rd that. Very happy with mine.

Mike Amick
04-30-2016, 01:46 PM
This DRO question comes up ... all the time.

The truth is, I have yet to hear from anyone that the DRO they bought is junk.

DRO PRO'S get a lot of positive feedback ... but as many have eluded, the units they sell
appear to be the same chinese units sold elsewhere, but with really good support.

My opinion ...

If your ordering for your company .. buy name brand
If it's for your home machine and money isn't an issue ... Use Dro Pro's
If money is tight (like me) ... buy ebay Chinese (<$500 for 3 axis with glass scales)

again .. JMHO

Danl
04-30-2016, 08:21 PM
I agree with Mike Amick on this one. The command buttons on the cheap ones looks so similar to the ones on my DROPros version that I suspect the same programming goes into all of them.

DanL

gaston
04-30-2016, 08:54 PM
I bought a 2axis for my lathe. 198.00 (I had a 36.00 discount) and free shipping from china. the first DRO I bought "off shore" was 5 years ago 3 axis about 500.00 and 125.00 shipping. The first one has been used and abused and never missed a beat
Most all of the off brands I believe are the same and most likley made in the same factory If you want to deal with a off shore vender and dont need hand holding I don't see any reason to buy a $$ DRO that is identical two a 2 to 3 hundred china unit. I will get the 2 axis unit next week so I will find out if cheap works for my hobby use

vpt
05-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Thats what I have noticed as well is not many (any?) complain about the cheap off shore units. I know they are being bought and used because they are cheap. I haven't seen any warnings yet with anyone claiming "don't buy those junks".

Gaston I will be interested in hearing how yours turns out.

chrisinestes
05-01-2016, 01:46 PM
Signing on to the thread... I'm also looking for DROs. a 2_axis for my lathe, and a 3-Axis for my mill.

Chris

Jeason
05-06-2016, 05:46 AM

The TPAC tools is buy from China, and the supplier in China is www.delos-tek.en.alibaba.com , www.delos-encoder.com
If you no need urgently and have a bugdut, you may buy from China directly..It is much cheaper .

Jeason
05-06-2016, 05:49 AM
It is the same products with this company. www.delos-tek.en.alibaba.com , www.delos-encoder.com
It import from China .

hwingo
05-07-2016, 12:14 PM
Good Morning Guys,

As mentioned in Post #8, I have a SINO on my lathe and *had* a Grizzly on my mill. After posting #8, I had an issue with the mill's DRO. Thinking the read-out was bad, I purchased a new read-out from DRO Pro. Quickly I learned that I had broken a glass scale and the read-out was not the problem. I called Grizzly to get a longer glass scale but they didn't sell the needed length and they were unable to point me to a place that could help. With "hat-in-hand" I called DRO Pro and they quickly provided me with the proper length glass scale. Bottom line is, both Grizzly and DRO Pro read-outs are in perfect working order. Additionally, both read-outs are exactly the same except for outside lettering. DRO Pro got me up and running so now I can say I have had experience with SINO, Grizzly, and DRO Pro. DRO Pro was very helpful and completely understood my issue and quickly helped me correct my problem. They were quick to respond and quick to ship needed parts.

In passing, breakage of the glass scale was basically my fault. Grizzly had sold me a good system BUT the glass scale was too short which ultimately lead to breakage because I attempted to use the full length of my Y Axis.

Harold

RB211
05-07-2016, 03:46 PM
Just make a sticky about DRO's, and anyone who makes a new thread should be caned

ezduzit
05-07-2016, 08:57 PM
Looks like the cheapest way, buying from China, is the best way. I'd love to have them on both mill and lathe.

vpt
05-07-2016, 11:04 PM
Just make a sticky about DRO's, and anyone who makes a new thread should be caned

When I bumped the thread I searched for an old DRO thread just because I knew it has probably been talked about 125,000 times already.