PDA

View Full Version : Ugly Machine Contest Win FREE TOOLS

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 02:26 AM
This is the real deal! No joke! Machinist Guide.com is having a Ugly Machine Contest!
Do you have a ugly machine in your shop? We all do!
Your ugly machine could win you FREE TOOLS!

We will be giving away 3 prizes. 1st 2nd & 3rd place!

I have included links to photos of Prizes to be given away and entering info.

Enter soon contest ends January 31, 2010

See photo's of Prizes
(http://www.machinistnetwork.com/contest-prizes.htm)

See Contest Rules (http://www.machinistnetwork.com/contest-rules.htm)

Thanks
Donnie
Machinist-Guide

Evan
12-24-2009, 02:29 AM
I think George better get to work on the terms and conditions revision.

Unpaid advertising is not permitted on this site although it isn't spelled out, it is the policy of Village Press.

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 03:19 AM
I didn't think of this as commercial advertising. I am not selling anything. I am just having fun with my hobby. Sorry if I offended anyone.
Donnie

Black_Moons
12-24-2009, 05:06 AM
the vise is very cool, but the R8 collets and TDI? Come on, anyone who needs one allready bought a dozen. cost me more to ship them here to canada to then to buy them local. Least you could do is find something cool that everyone could use but likey does not have, like those new fangled incra-rulers http://www.incra.com/product_markingrules.htm
Or maybe a small 5C collet set and square/hex block for holding them.

Also they are aimed at beginners but how many beginners have really ulgy machines? I mean Id vote for the guy who droped his lathe on his leg here recently. Not for his lathe, but for the rods they put in his leg afterwards. That was one ulgy contraption.

Also annoying that you posted here but require us be a member of your forum with 5 posts?

Maybe im asking a bit much of a 'gift horse'

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 05:58 AM
Well I'm not a company. I am just a working man(Toolmaker). I enjoy building web sites as a hobby. I started this contest as a way to invite people to join my form. I currently have 11 members. It's not like I am a big cooperation. I can't afford expensive prizes and international shipping. The reason I ask non residents to pay shipping is. To ship inside the US I can print the shipping label here at home and the mail man will pick it up here at home.To ship out side the US I have to go to the post office stand in line to get the necessary customs forms then fill out the forms get back in line and pay a higher shipping rate and higher insurance rate. I in no way meant to offend you guys from Canada.

EVguru
12-24-2009, 07:04 AM
I really don't want to pour cold water on the idea, but why do we need another forum?

There are already too many forums with interesting stuff, so I choose to limit myself to mainly this one. I like the minimal number of sections, so I don't have to spend ages reading.

You'll have to forgive people if they're not entirely happy to see you come on here and appear to be poaching members.

George Bulliss
12-24-2009, 07:39 AM
I have added a notice stating, “For sale posts are not allowed” to the introduction of the forums, so that should be covered.

This, of course, doesn’t fall into the for sale category. It is basically spam, advertising designed to get someone to click on a link. As such, I was prepared to delete this post and ban the OP, my usual action with spam. However, it appears that the OP has no evil intent, and he does have a history (short) of posting appropriate replies.

So, I’ll let this and the OP stay, for now. This does not imply a change in any policy, I’m just curious to see where this goes.

George

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 07:45 AM
webmasters don't see it this way at all. I have links to this forum on my site.
I also have links to other forums on my sites. When we link to each other Search Engines like Google like to see this and they give us better rankings in there search. It helps both my site and The Home Shop Machinist site when search engines notice traffic going back and forth.

I get traffic from Home Shop Machinist and they get traffic from me.

On my signature you will see a link to Metalworkers Directory (http://www.machinistnetwork.com) check it out and you will find a link to Home Shop Machinist Forum

George Bulliss
12-24-2009, 08:12 AM
Well, perhaps when I become a webmaster I’ll view things differently. Right now, I still have two years to go to earn my journeyman card, so excuse my ignorance.

I have looked at your site. I did it right after you signed in, since your user name raised a few questions in my mind and I have no problem with you providing a link to your site in your signature, we have plenty of other members that do that.

This post goes beyond a simple mention of your site though. It falls directly in the advertising category, and while your site may be of interest to our members, the main purpose of your post is to build the numbers on your site.

George

Black_Moons
12-24-2009, 08:28 AM
Machinist-Guide: good idea but just poor implimentation.
did'nt mean to rain so hard on you. Maybe a better idea would of just been mention the contest in your sig and try and find more relivent things to post about.
Bribeing people with contests to join your forum however seems like the wrong way to go about things.

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 08:29 AM
I didn't mean to cause trouble. I was just explaining to the guy in the UK that I wasn't trying to pouch your members. Web sites share traffic that's the way the internet works. I found this site by a link in another forum. We send each other traffic.

John Stevenson
12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Just send me the prize.
I have two butt ugly Russian lathes here with nary a scrap of paint on them and what's more they aren't going to get any because it won't affect the finished job one bit.

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Machinist-Guide: good idea but just poor implimentation.
did'nt mean to rain so hard on you. Maybe a better idea would of just been mention the contest in your sig and try and find more relivent things to post about.
Bribeing people with contests to join your forum however seems like the wrong way to go about things.

You got that right. I thought it would be kind of fun. It's not the first time I came up with a bad idea. LOL

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Just send me the prize.
I have two butt ugly Russian lathes here with nary a scrap of paint on them and what's more they aren't going to get any because it won't affect the finished job one bit.

It may be easier on me if I just did that.
I actually got the idea on another forum. These guys were betting on who had the ugliest machine. So I thought why not have a contest.

andy_b
12-24-2009, 09:14 AM
Does the machine operator count as a machine? If so, I think it will be a stiff competition if many people from this site enter. :)

andy b.

Black_Moons
12-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I vote for this guy: http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=481024&postcount=7
that 3rd pic is the ulgyest looking machine iv ever seen, those surgins should be shot :P

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 09:57 AM
My grandpaw told me along time ago Don't mess with a Grizzly

JCHannum
12-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I suggest locking this post if it is to remain. That way, it will die a natural death instead of continually being bumped to the top.

Doozer
12-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Here is my entry:

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/Machines%20and%20Stuff/hendey9-06.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/Machines%20and%20Stuff/IMG_0230.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/Machines%20and%20Stuff/SDC10544.jpg

I am fixing her up right, with a total take apart, de-rusting, and a repaint.
But for a long time, she was the ugliest machine in my shop.

To stick up for Donny, He seems like a machine enthusiast and has a neat little web site that is aimed at being helpful and informative. If I knew HTML code, I too would have a web site myself. Unfortunately I don't know that much about computers, so I have a Photobucket account and I post pics of my machines whenever I can. Nice site Donny.

--Doozer

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Looks like you got a winner. The last photo looks like you are doing a good job fixing her up My project is a old cone drive Hendy some where around 1920
the Serial # is 642

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Doozer]

I have a Photobucket account and I post pics of my machines

--Doozer[/QUOTE

Is this account open for public viewing if so I would like to see it
Thanks

Doozer
12-24-2009, 10:35 AM
http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i169/kooldoozer/

Under "Albums" click on "Machines and Stuff".

--Doozer

Machinist-Guide
12-24-2009, 10:47 AM
The 1920 south bend is great I would love to have one.
The bike is cool too looks like you are doing a great job.
I ride a dyna super glide

I would like to link to your south bend pic from my site if its ok with you

RKW
12-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Noticed the sub-titles of your site need a bit of correction ...

"Machinists Sharing Knowledge with Machinists"

as well as:

"By Machinists" and "For Machinists"

And:

"Network with Machinists"

There is more than one machinist out there.

Not trying to be a grammar nazi since these are sub titles of a site rather than conversation/information within a forum.