PDA

View Full Version : CNC Lathe

John Foster
10-16-2003, 07:13 PM
On Wednesday Oct. 15th there was a a post with a picture of a CNC conversion on a lathe using a Z axis mounted on the cross slide. What happened to it? I would like to compare notes. John

wierdscience
10-16-2003, 11:09 PM
I think what you are refering to was a post by Evan intitled "crossfeed drive almost" posted on the 14th,its not cnc,but it could be.

John Foster
10-17-2003, 07:19 PM
No, this one showed a 9"SB (I believe) with a stepper on the cross slide and another stepper mounted on the cross slide with a seperate "slide" for the Z axis. Did I dream this? John

Evan
10-17-2003, 07:34 PM
John,

I think you must be thinking of my powered cross slide project. The magnetic clutch does look a lot like a stepper, and yes, it would be easy to convert to CNC. I likely will do that in the future. It would be cool to do CNC fully auto thread cutting.

John Foster
10-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Evan, thanks but I have seen your crossfeed modification (very nice) with the clutch attached on the rear of the saddle where the taper attachment normally bolts and that is not it. This had a stepper motor belt driving the crossfeed on the front and the additional stepper and slide mounted in place of the compound. John