PDA

View Full Version : small project



darryl
12-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Here's a small project I did the other day. It's a tool to help in removing the drive dog from the blade assembly in a blender pitcher, and also the drive cup on the motor. http://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/drive%20dog%20removal%20tool%201.jpghttp://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/drive%20dog%20removal%20tool%202.jpghttp://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/drive%20dog%20removal%20tool%203.jpghttp://www.glacern.net/free_photo_upload/drive%20dog%20tool%20set%20on%20dog.jpg

One end of the tool has the pins arranged to suit the part as shown in the last pic. You might recognize the bladed assembly as being a part from your blender. I have modified a pair of dollar store needlenose pliers to grip the blades from inside the pitcher. A clockwise twist on the tool loosens the drive dog and lets me take it all apart. There isn't much to fix here, just a bit of lubing and put back together. The idea is I can take good parts off ugly looking pitchers and make the best of a few hundred pounds worth of blender parts. Got a couple of skids of these to deal with at work.

The spring loaded 'handle' is not really that, it's an impact bar that is used to help remove the drive cup from the base unit. In that case, the other end of the tool (second pic) is inserted into the drive cup, held in the direction required to remove the cup, then the impact bar is pulled against the spring, then released. The inertia of the drive motor coupled with the impact from this tool loosens the drive cup from the motor shaft, and it can then be replaced.

They're starting to call me 'inspector gadget' at work-

928gene928
12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Darryl,
Very slick, nice job!

darryl
12-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you 928. The tool isn't pretty, but it's functional. The pins are music wire, pressed into the holes for rigidity. I will probably find that I don't have enough impact force to remove the tightly stuck drive dogs, but I'll just take it from there when it comes up.

One of the more interesting parts of this project was the need to precisely space the pins. I can index my chuck, so it was easy to get them 90 degrees apart, but spacing from the central axis was a bit of a mental exercise. I made up a jig which I could clamp in the tool holder which holds a center punch. I measured from the spindle axis to the radius for these pins, then tapped the center punch with a hammer to create a 'spot-on' (sic) mark for drilling. That process has given me an idea for a jig with which to precisely locate and dimple radii marks for future projects. You'll probably see that here in the near future.

I kind of like doing small projects like this because it can be done in an evening or two and I don't end up losing interest.

lane
12-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Hay I need to borrow that to fix wifes blender. Good idea