PDA

View Full Version : Looky what Santa dropped off at the Scrap Yard!

cijuanni
12-28-2009, 11:01 AM
When to the scrap yard the day before Christmas and found this had just been dropped off.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/cijuanni/mill2.jpg

Put in my sled and dragged it away for 18 cents a pound.
I am sure it must have some issues, like head rattle but the table doesn't have a mark on it and lots of scraping is visable on the ways.
Possibly rescraped sometime??

Beats a lump of coal!

bborr01
12-28-2009, 11:08 AM
You must have been very good this year to score a find like that.
Merry Christmas

Brian

j king
12-28-2009, 11:13 AM
cant believe they didnt screw it up loading it or unloading it. Great find

Carld
12-28-2009, 11:15 AM
:eek: What a find, go buy a lotto ticket your luck may be on a run.

$160 for that mill is a steal and you can spend a lot of money and time to get it serviceable and still have a low priced mill but it may not need much at all.

Tinkerer
12-28-2009, 11:16 AM
:) That is a nice find.

The peckerheaded yard owners around here will not sell anything no matter what. I've left a few times shaken my head. :(

cijuanni
12-28-2009, 11:35 AM
$160 for that mill is a steal and you can spend a lot of money and time to get it serviceable and still have a low priced mill but it may not need much at all.

It was 1,920lbs on their scale at $0.18, so about $350.

I thought the vari head mills weighted about 2200 lbs, but I am not one to
complain. :)

gnm109
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
I'd take it back. The knee crank is missing. :)

John Stevenson
12-28-2009, 12:11 PM
Best place for it...................................

Ken_Shea
12-28-2009, 12:12 PM
I'd take it back. The knee crank is missing. :)
Well you know what they say, if it sounds to good to be true............. :D

Amazing what people scrap, even more so when it's clean up at factories, but rarely is anyone permitted to that so called scrap.

scatter cat
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
Nice score.One companys junk another mans treasure:) Something is defintely wrong it survived a trip to the scrapyard and the handles arn't all broken off.:D

oil mac
12-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Proves something,
The new American Santa, seems to be a lot more generous than the one over here, Nowadays he doesnt bring such nice things on his sleigh :D

lakeside53
12-28-2009, 02:42 PM
At least now I know what my Bridgeports are worth, before freight..:(

softtail
12-28-2009, 03:33 PM
That is freekin' unreal.

st

BigBoy1
12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
My local scrap yard owner will not sell to individuals! He claims that two guys in a pick-up truck stole $25,000 in scrap and now he will not let anyone in the yard. He claims any looking for items in his yard is just looking for things to steal. I asked the owner, why he was keeping gold or silver in his yard because even at $5 a pound, $25,000 of brass weighs 5000 pounds and is about 5 or 6 full pickup truck loads. He just glared at me and walked away.

.RC.
12-28-2009, 07:49 PM
Best place for it...................................

ROFL, but cmon now, they are stiff enough for 1/8 endmills... :)

chrisfournier
12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Why I would never pay $0.18/pound for a Bridgeport - perhaps a Deckel...

I mean, there's no knee crank handle!

What a Boxing Day deal that is; congrats.

Carld
12-28-2009, 11:15 PM
:o opps, I forgot to carry the one, yep $360. Well, I almost saved you $100 :rolleyes: . It still gives you a very good find.

Scishopguy
12-29-2009, 02:27 PM
My local scrap yard owner will not sell to individuals! He claims that two guys in a pick-up truck stole $25,000 in scrap and now he will not let anyone in the yard. He claims any looking for items in his yard is just looking for things to steal. I asked the owner, why he was keeping gold or silver in his yard because even at $5 a pound, $25,000 of brass weighs 5000 pounds and is about 5 or 6 full pickup truck loads. He just glared at me and walked away.

I have never figured out why so many junk yard folks are that way. I guess some people just enjoy being D**Ks about it. There is so much good, useable stuff that hits the junkyard that you could get filthy rich just going through it.

My inlaws had a scrapyard in clearwater and they used to save things that they thought I might want. Over the years they gave me a pallet dolly, a dozen large size tapered shank drills, an old beatup Atlas 6-18 lathe, hundreds of pounds of steel barstock in 3' lengths, and all kinds of nuts and bolts. I even used to get bronze plumbing valves new in the box, that contractors hauled off to scrap after the job was done. The things I saw there made me crazy sometimes. There was a complete overhead crane trolly system that I would have loved to have but had no way to get or store. Well, all good things come to an end eventually. The owner, a nephew to my father in law, was offered a deal he could not refuse, to sell the whole operation to a big company at the port of Tampa. He made millions on the deal so I can't critisize him for that. I am just thankful for all the goodies they sent my way. Too bad more scrap operators aren't more open to the public.

Bill in Ky
12-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Really nice find there!

mixdenny
12-29-2009, 02:45 PM
Is that a power feed on the X axis?

Dennis

Teenage_Machinist
12-29-2009, 02:49 PM
I need to find some local scrap yards.

cijuanni
12-29-2009, 06:02 PM
Is that a power feed on the X axis?

Dennis

Yes it is a factory BP model.
Looks like it weights 50lbs!

For others that were shocked that the handles were unbroken. Well the knee crank handle wasn't missing it was broken off. The splinded stub of the handle was still on it shaft, couldn't find the rest of it.
That splined piece I will turn down and fit to a handwheel so I have a manual "speed" handwheel.

cijuanni

clutch
12-29-2009, 08:49 PM
When to the scrap yard the day before Christmas and found this had just been dropped off.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/cijuanni/mill2.jpg

Put in my sled and dragged it away for 18 cents a pound.
I am sure it must have some issues, like head rattle but the table doesn't have a mark on it and lots of scraping is visable on the ways.
Possibly rescraped sometime??

Beats a lump of coal!

You really suck guy! I'm happy for you though.

Clutch