PDA

View Full Version : Steady rest bearings

timh
12-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Anyone know were i can get steady rest bearings?

deltaenterprizes
12-28-2009, 05:13 PM
Bearing supply house.

Doozer
12-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Bronze is good.
Babbitt is better.
Ball bearings on steadies cause problems.

--Doozer

deltaenterprizes
12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
Bronze is good.
Babbitt is better.
Ball bearings on steadies cause problems.

--Doozer

What kind of problems?

Boucher
12-28-2009, 06:00 PM
My Nardini lathe did not have a steady with it so I ordered one from the factory. Took a long time but it finally showed. It has bearings. In the mean time I needed something. Found a old one from a machine salvage place. I adapted it. It has bronze tips. For 90% of what I do I prefer the bronze tips. After the last post I guess I will have to try the babbitt. The bearings really do mark the surface they run on. I work with bbls that have bushings installed and the bearings run on the bushings which is OK.

lane
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Nothing wrong with ball bearings. You just got to learn how to use one with them.

darryl
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
I built a steady using ball bearings. The problems are- the contact area is so small per bearing that any inconsistencies on the shaft you're turning will cause it to bounce around off center as it's turning- that's one. Another is that grit doesn't get wiped away as it would with brass supports and will instead get crunched between the workpiece and the bearings. Again, the shaft won't stay centered as it's turning.

Brass or bronze supports will very quickly conform to the shaft over a bit of an area, so you get better support.

Bearings have their place. If the shafts you're turning are round and smooth, you can get by with less adjusting and won't have as much heat build-up.