PDA

View Full Version : Grinder spindal bearing replacement

Bob Quale
02-18-2002, 08:41 PM
I have an old Do-all surface grinder. The spinal bearings are getting loud and vibrating. They need replacment. Can the home machinist replace them or does it require special equipment? What kind of bearings should i use for replacmeny? It just doesn't feel right shelling out a lot of money to have someone elce do the repair. The spindal is a MD-6.

Thrud
02-19-2002, 02:59 AM
Bob
Contact DoAll and ask them for the bearing and seal numbers then go to a good bearing house and order them - this should sve you some money over purchasing them from DoAll. You could also ask the both of them if they can rebuild your spindle for you. It may be resonable or not - ask.

I think that is your best course of action. You will want the highest precision bearings you can afford as they will be more accurate and last longer. If you decide to rebuild it yourself, ask the bearing house the proper installation procedure so as to not damage the precision bearings. Even if you have installed other bearings - these are not the same as "normal" bearings and require more care in installing them.

Dave

[This message has been edited by Thrud (edited 02-19-2002).]

Bob Quale
02-19-2002, 03:37 AM
Thrud
Thanks for the reply. Do-All does not do the repairs any more. They sent me to Machine tool repair. They quoted me around $1100 dollars. Not sure if that is fair or not. I will try again to get part numbers, and price parts from a bearing house. $1100 sure is a lot of money.

SGW
02-19-2002, 08:03 AM
You may discover that about half of that $1100 is the cost of the bearings.

It is a lot of money, but Thrud's right -- precision bearings need to be installed properly, and it would be "annoying" to attempt to do it yourself and ruin a $500 set of bearings.

Of course, if the bearings are $200, you could screw it up once or twice and still come out ahead. But it may be worth paying to have somebody do it who really knows how and has the proper tools for the job.

[This message has been edited by SGW (edited 02-19-2002).]

Thrud
02-20-2002, 01:54 AM
It is also possible that the spindle may need to be plasma coated and reground because of wear. Check with the bearing houses, many of them now rebuild CNC spindles (and even bearings!) to "better than new" specs.

Dave