PDA

View Full Version : A quality question about "Triumph" drills.

Walter
12-31-2009, 04:42 AM
Hiya folks, I'm considering picking up a new drill set and have decided to jump into a fractional - number - letter set all in one and right now Enco is offering a decent deal on This set of Trumph's
(http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTPG=INLMKD&PMPXNO=4872200&PMAKA=240-6490)

I'm curious as to IF anyone has tried This brand and that they think of them. Thanks in advance =)

DICKEYBIRD
12-31-2009, 07:20 AM
I bought a set of screw machine length black oxide coated number drills from Enco a few years ago and they're awesome. No complaints at all.

RTPBurnsville
12-31-2009, 07:37 AM
I have used Triumph drills with good success. Actually just purchased a few replacement bits from them just this week. Mine ever had made in USA on the package.

RB211
12-31-2009, 11:13 AM
MUCH nicer than the cheapo Chinese drills

Pherdie
12-31-2009, 11:35 AM
I have purchased quite a few Triumph ThunderBit drills and have been very happy. They run rings around all the Chinese stuff I've ever had, staying sharp a long time and drilling nice straight uniform holes.

Somewhere along the line I was told they are part of the Precision line, but I have no idea how accurate that information is.

A happy camper......

Fred

Frank Ford
12-31-2009, 11:57 AM
Another thumbs up for Triumph. BUT, those are regular 118 degree point drills - - once I tried the 135-degree split-point, my "hole" life changed! I'm happier spending more for drills that start on center, cut with less pressure, and don't need a pilot hole.

Pherdie
12-31-2009, 12:18 PM
I concur with Frank, I only buy the Triumphs in 135 degree...

Fred

Walter
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. I've been using the Chicago Latrobe bits and am not very happy with the latest set, there not bad, but not as good as I would have expected. I just flat would never spend on the cheapo chinese stuff, I know better :)

I've always had a preferance for the brite finish rather than the black oxide, but I might make the switch over. However I expect that I'll stick to the 118 tips as I find them to work just fine, but then again I tend to resharpen using 4 facet. Again, many thanks for the recommendations:)