PDA

View Full Version : bag o' fish

Tony Ennis
12-31-2009, 02:43 PM
Frozen fish. Talapia. Otherwise known as my dinner.

Will the fish thaw more quickly if I put the (unopened) bag on the counter, or if I put it in a pan of room-temp water?

Carld
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
My first thought is in the water.

RKW
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Is this a physics test? ;-)

motorcyclemac
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
I the bag..in the sink..with tepid water running on it.

Cheers
Mac

digger_doug
12-31-2009, 02:57 PM
Roll frozen fish chunck in beer batter mixture.

Plop into awaiting deep fryer.

Heck that is how McDonalds does it (minus beer),
frozen to done in about a minute.

Want fries with 'dat.

John Stevenson
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Won't they drown ?

madman
12-31-2009, 02:59 PM
In the Microwave

Tinkerer
12-31-2009, 03:04 PM
The water will thaw it quicker better thermo absorption rate then air. But if your really in a hurry just nuke it on defrost. :D

Evan
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
I don't like Talapia very much. It has a wierd sort of greasy mouth feel to it. Then there is the issue of the main supply being from the Salton Sea in southern California. It's an entirely artificial lake with no outlet and no way for pollutants to be flushed. It was formed when a dike broke and the Colorado river flowed into the basin for a rather long time. It is on the verge of total death as pollutants have been building up in it ever since it was formed and it has been drying out at the same time which concentrates the pollution.

Have a nice supper. :D

dp
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
No reason to thaw it - take it straight to the trash, frozen. Our raccoons won't even eat it, and they'll eat anything :)

Rustybolt
12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
Won't they drown ?

No. They'll swim away.

Alistair Hosie
12-31-2009, 05:07 PM
floating away in all that greasy saliva :D Alistair

Seastar
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Arrrrggggggh!!!
Bill

Tony Ennis
12-31-2009, 06:45 PM
Man, it's still pretty cold in the center, but tastes ok.

Frank Ford
12-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Man, it's still pretty cold in the center, but tastes ok.

You bet! We eat a fair amount of sushi at my house, too. . .

quasi
12-31-2009, 06:52 PM
I have had Talapia a couple of times, horrible stuff. Hippie fish, thats what they are, you have to be stoned to eat them.

lakeside53
12-31-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't like Talapia very much. It has a wierd sort of greasy mouth feel to it. Then there is the issue of the main supply being from the Salton Sea in southern California. It's an entirely artificial lake with no outlet and no way for pollutants to be flushed. It was formed when a dike broke and the Colorado river flowed into the basin for a rather long time. It is on the verge of total death as pollutants have been building up in it ever since it was formed and it has been drying out at the same time which concentrates the pollution.

Have a nice supper. :D

At least they are "natural" :D

The Talapia around here are labled "Product of Vietnam"... I watched a documentary where the effluent and "other waste" from the poultry farms was flushed into the fish ponds.. yummy...

vpt
12-31-2009, 09:02 PM
Frozen fish. Talapia. Otherwise known as my dinner.

Will the fish thaw more quickly if I put the (unopened) bag on the counter, or if I put it in a pan of room-temp water?

Leave it in the bag and fill the sink with hot water from the tap, put bag in water and let sit for 20-30 minutes. Ready to cook!

I do this all the time. Have about 20 pounds of frozen fish in the freezer all the time.

spope14
12-31-2009, 09:36 PM
The tilapia we get on the East Coast is farm bred in Vietnam, much different than the original Tilapia I had years back (probably Salton Sea). Quite tasty, kind of like a haddock. You have to cook and thaw it right! I grill mine on a cedar plank and brush a butter, lemon juice, garlic and basil mix on it while cooking.

Seven years of working in restaurants (yellowstone NP)to get through college- Thaw fish using cold water running into a pot, fish wrapped water tight in saran or in the vac packs some fish comes in. Warm water thaw screws fish up as well as beef. One other thing I learned a few years back, thaw plates are invaluable. I made a thaw plate out of a piece of 6"w x 12" long x 1/2 thick aluminum (actually .470, fly cut the faces), thaw steaks, fish, whatever on it (keep butchers paper or saran between the plate and meat).

Lew Hartswick
12-31-2009, 10:45 PM
You have to cook and thaw it right! I grill mine on a cedar plank and brush a butter, lemon juice, garlic and basil mix on it while cooking. .
Right! Then you eat the plank and throw out the fish.
...lew...

spope14
01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Depends if I overcook the fish....

A.K. Boomer
01-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Medium security prison just outside of canon city has a talapia hatchery/farm ran by the inmates and its quite successful - I don't know if iv ever had talapia - although if you don't know then it means you probably have...

Limy Sami
01-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Medium security prison just outside of canon city has a talapia hatchery/farm ran by the inmates and its quite successful - I don't know if iv ever had talapia - although if you don't know then it means you probably have...

Infallable bagged fish recipie

Heat oven to 400F

Pour small shot of malt.

Take bag with fish out to trash can.

Return and opening oven door warm hands.

Sip malt.

Perfection.

vikingsword
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
We go through a medium sized freezer full of salmon and halibut every winter, we vacum seal all of it, so when we need it I just take and put it in sink half full of luke warm water. I usually put something on it to weight it down and it's good to go in a couple hours. Wes

spope14
01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Canon city, I just lived east of there in Pueblo for 5 years. Still hit Pueblo almost every year, lots of family there.

Tilapia is pretty good if you cook it right, but wrong....it is crap.

John R
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
spope14
I'm interested in that warming plate. Do you heat it?
John R

KIMFAB
01-05-2010, 01:35 AM
I see there are others that share my opinion of properly preparing that stuff.
1. Thaw carefully
2. Place in good clean soil
3. Grow some corn in that soil
4. Eat the corn

darryl
01-05-2010, 03:34 AM
One that's sure to be a winner- remove fish from freezer, also remove some chicken. Place both on aluminum sheet, far apart. Find barbecue, briquettes or coals, and tools. Scrape grill for an hour to get rid of last years' hamburger. Turn on gas. Go make yourself a drink, then come back and toss a lit match into the barbecue. By the time your neighbor has finished laughing at you, the coals should be ready and so should the chicken and fish. Arrange the chicken on the barbecue, then place fish carefully under the seat of your neighbors car. That chicken is really going to put a smile on your face.

Never heard of talapia- is that something like tapioca

speedy
01-05-2010, 04:30 AM
At least they are "natural" :D

The Talapia around here are labled "Product of Vietnam"... I watched a documentary where the effluent and "other waste" from the poultry farms was flushed into the fish ponds.. yummy...

Is this Talapia the same or similar to the Basa cat fish that is bred in the Mekong and flogged off to the unsuspecting masses?? Basa tastes like the batter it comes in. Selling big time in Aussie and making big inroads into NZ.
You have got to question where our food is from

Your Old Dog
01-05-2010, 06:06 AM
...........................Arrange the chicken on the barbecue, then place fish carefully under the seat of your neighbors car. That chicken is really going to put a smile on your face.

That actually happened where I work. Someone used a guys company car while he was on vacation and left a half eaten fish sandwhich in the backseat in a McDonalds bag. The car wasn't used for nearly two weeks in the summer when the guy came back :D

winchman
01-05-2010, 08:18 AM
Photos, photos, gotta have photos.

Evan
01-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Ok, but it's salmon, fresh from BBQ and stuffed with garden veggies, herbs and rice with roasted red pepper strips on top.

http://metalshopborealis.ca/pics/turkey1.jpg

Falcon67
01-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I suppose you'all know tilapia might be the worst fish to eat?

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/866321/tilapia_a_bad_fish_for_heart_health.html?cat=5

http://www.usnews.com/health/family-health/articles/2008/07/11/popular-tilapia-might-not-help-heart.html

Tony Ennis
01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Lovely. /marks tilapia off the list

Nice fish, Evan.

davidfe
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
I quit buying imported fish - except shrimp.

I read the label on some frozen 4 oz. marinated fish
that was on sale for $ 1.00 each. I found they came from
China!

How in the world can they all the packaging, shipping, storing
etc. and sell it for $ 1.00? Normal price was $1.69.

No way I was going to support this. Must cost only pennies.

I now ask he origin of the products.

McBarf has much of their beef from South America.

Regards.

spope14
01-05-2010, 03:39 PM
I was asked about the thawing plates, I got the idea from a product sold from some infomercial a few years back, they sold a 1/8 inch thaw plate of aluminum, it was really a cooking pan, but repackaged. Worked OK though, but just OK.

One time up at my camp site, early in the year during set-up, I had some hard frozen Delmonico steaks about 1 1/4" inch thick, but no real good source of water to thaw them in, but for the small hose and a bucket (water service was not turned on). I had a couple of aluminum plates in my car from some woirk I had done earlier in the day in the shop - 12 x 12 x 1/2 thick, used them as kind of a "reverse heat sink", or cold sink top and bottom. Thawed them out in about 1 hour completely through. The aluminum transfers the cold quickly compared to a steel or cast iron, yet stays cold enough by the meat not to cause some of that meally stuff and taste or rapid juice loss.

I keep a fly cut 6 inch x 12 inch x 1/2 inch thick piece in the kitchen for quick thaws now, just one side, flip the meat in 1/2 hour, keep it sealed up in saran or in the blisterpack some meats come in. works better than any water thaw I have found yet. There are some concerns about AL. and Alzhiemers in some circles, so to prevent any of this among those I cook for, I keep the meats off the Aluminum just for their sake (if there was a problem, I would probably alzhimered by now with all the AL work I have done.)

My favorite fish is red tuna steaks grilled to medium. This is just good all by itself.

Seastar
01-05-2010, 04:41 PM
We have been using a thaw plate of aluminum for years.
Works great.
An upside down aluminum pie pan will work in an emergency.
My wife likes to use the granite counter top - it has a high specific heat and works well also.
I already posted my reaction to tilipia.
Bill

John Stevenson
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Evan,
Here you are fresh salmon :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9HCEiZTrpE&feature=related

Evan
01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Yeah, seen it. :D

Here is a picture taken this year by a friend on the coast. Those are real grizzlies fishing for salmon.

http://ixian.ca/pics7/grizzfish.jpg

ulav8r
01-06-2010, 01:43 PM
The grizzlies can have all the salmon they want. I will never eat any more of it. It is worse than Tilapia. Give me Mahi Mahi, real catfish, crappie or white bass any day over Salmon.

darryl
01-06-2010, 03:42 PM
I love salmon, red snapper too, alaska black cod, fresh trout, scallops, yum. A friend gave me a recipe for a mixture to spray on the fish as it was being cooked over a fire of cherry wood. Couldn't stop eating it.

Boucher
01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
My favorite:
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n50/boucherbyron/ChokeCanyon027.jpg

Tony Ennis
01-12-2010, 10:45 PM
That a lot o' catfish.

The other day I buckled under the pressure of the HSM and passed on the tilapia. Instead I got a salmon filet which to my surprise was the same price per pound.

Wrapped it in aluminum, added some butter and lemon juice, closed it all up, and backed it for 20 minutes. Sauted some green beans and onions in butter with garlic. Steamed some long-grain rice.

mmm.

Boucher
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Luby's blackened Talapia is pretty good. Home cooked Crappie, Catfish and blackened Redfish are better. Like a lot of things the fresher is better. Crappie and small catfish cooked whole on the bank 50 ft from where they were living is hard to beat. Here in central Texas you can get a good lively discussion started about which is better Yellow, Blue or Channel Cat.