PDA

View Full Version : strange typing delay

motorcyclemac
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
I have a helluva time posting to this forum. It seems as if I have to type about 1 character per second to get it to type properly. If I type at a normal pace of 50 to 60 words per minute it will not accept much of what I type. It will miss letters and spaces. It is very frustrating. Does anyone have this problem? I am on several forums and this one is the only one that does this.

Cheers
Mac

John Stevenson
12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
N t h a d th t pr o b le m

Tony Ennis
12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Every time, or only sometimes?

motorcyclemac
12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Yes like that..

I don't know what causes that. It is most times.. Occasionally I will go to respond and it will start out accepting letters and spaces properly... Other times it will act retarded right from the start. That being said there is something wrong everytime I go to type.

As a sample I will type something below with out any correction so you can see what it is like:

Ok hee it goes this is a saple of what happenswhen I type. I misses all the aces ad doesn'tproprly insert the leter sad sh a itsould.

See what I mean? This forum is the only one that does this.

Cheers
Mac.

madman
12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
enim sepyt sdrawkcab ta semitm????

Carld
12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Yep, it does that to me sometimes.

gnm109
12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Yes like that..

I don't know what causes that. It is most times.. Occasionally I will go to respond and it will start out accepting letters and spaces properly... Other times it will act retarded right from the start. That being said there is something wrong everytime I go to type.

As a sample I will type something below with out any correction so you can see what it is like:

Ok hee it goes this is a saple of what happenswhen I type. I misses all the aces ad doesn'tproprly insert the leter sad sh a itsould.

See what I mean? This forum is the only one that does this.

Cheers
Mac.

Hmm, try clearing the temp files. Do you have OE8? There is a setting on that called "Compatability View". Turning that on cleared up some of my typing problems. The screen used to jump when I first changed to OE8.

Carld
12-31-2009, 03:17 PM
I run a clean up and defrag about once a week.

firbikrhd1
12-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Don't know if this applies, but, when I first got my laptop I had trouble with typing anytime I tried. It didn't matter whether I was using a word processing program or this forum. One day I finally figured out the trouble....the touch pad ! I was inadvertently hitting it with my thumbs while typing, thus omitting characters, making extra spaces, moving the typing cursor to an odd place on the screen, etc. Since my touch pad can't be inactivated I just got a wireless USB mouse and made a cover for the touch pad from an old mouse pad. I still have typing errors but they are fewer and related to my skill level.

Timleech
12-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Don't know if this applies, but, when I first got my laptop I had trouble with typing anytime I tried. It didn't matter whether I was using a word processing program or this forum. One day I finally figured out the trouble....the touch pad ! I was inadvertently hitting it with my thumbs while typing, thus omitting characters, making extra spaces, moving the typing cursor to an odd place on the screen, etc. Since my touch pad can't be inactivated I just got a wireless USB mouse and made a cover for the touch pad from an old mouse pad. I still have typing errors but they are fewer and related to my skill level.

Ever tried using a laptop with damp fingers, or a damp sticking plaster (band-aid?) on one finger? It can produce some strange results!

Tim

saltmine
12-31-2009, 07:06 PM
I keep having the same problem....But...I found out what the problem is, at least on my computer. Trying to be "state-of-the-art" I purchased a wireless keyboard and mouse. Type too fast, and it starts missing letters and characters. So, I slow down (not quite as much as you guys have to) and no errors.

I never thought I'd see the day when I typed fast enough to outrun the software....but it happened.

dp
12-31-2009, 07:51 PM
I wonder if perhaps it has to do with an in-line spelling checker going rogue. Try disabling it if you have one running.

Your Old Dog
12-31-2009, 08:43 PM
If I had to guess I'd say you were running Windows 7 and you were dinking around in the menus. Yes/No? :D

spope14
12-31-2009, 09:40 PM
I was going to guess wireless keyboard and mouse. I have this problem when the receiver gets covered, sometimes it just delays for a few seconds, or the batteries start to go towards the low voltage side (1.3). Usually the low voltage side.

Your Old Dog
12-31-2009, 10:21 PM
We did have similar problems with a few computers at work that never got turned off. The computer guy said the "cache" file I believe it was gets filled up and something has to drain out before more info can be brought in. The fix was to reboot the machine every day or so.

motorcyclemac
12-31-2009, 10:56 PM
I have tried everything I can think of.

It is a windows Vista home Acer laptop of current manufacture with 3G ram. IE8. It is connected to the net via wireless hub attached to Hughes.net. I type an average of 60 wpm and it has never been too fast and caused any delay.

I defrag once a week. I run Crap Cleaner every day. I tried compatibility mode with no luck. I have restarted. No luck. It isn't the touch pad as I have it turned off and use a wireless mouse (Logitech Nano). It isn't an inline spelling program as one isnt running.

It has something to do with the forum software such that it misses keystrokes. The laptop works flawlessly with evey other forum, MS Word, email Outlook etc. For some reason only on this site does it hiccup and ommit letters and spaces. I don't get it.

Cheers
Mac.

J. Randall
01-01-2010, 04:06 AM
Not a cure, but a work around. If word works good compose your post there, and then paste it in here until you find the problem.
James

A.K. Boomer
01-01-2010, 10:22 AM
I think you might have a bug, I had both the delay and the typing backwards thing when my comp had a bug...

fredf
01-01-2010, 12:12 PM
I seriously doubt that there is a direct connection to the forum. while typing you are not sending data until you hit send. (Unlike an old dumb terminal). I would suspect a bit of spyware or malware running on your machine and eating up all your cpu cycles. check task manager / processes to see if something is running that is eating processor time . . .

I have a helluva time posting to this forum. It seems as if I have to type about 1 character per second to get it to type properly. If I type at a normal pace of 50 to 60 words per minute it will not accept much of what I type. It will miss letters and spaces. It is very frustrating. Does anyone have this problem? I am on several forums and this one is the only one that does this.

Cheers
Mac

Your Old Dog
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Here's another possibility. Try running the command "sfc /scannow. You can get some info on it from here: http://www.vistaheads.com/forums/microsoft-public-windows-vista-performance-maintenance/16215-sfc-scannow.html

It is part of my routine to run down problems. What it does is see if your registery files have been corrupted by new or deleted programs and makes it all okay again. Many people experience increased speed after running it.

danlb
01-01-2010, 01:35 PM
The BBS has a lot of graphics (including some animation) , and some javascript. It's quite possible that there is something running that is eating up your CPU cycles.

A "laptop of modern manufacture" can be anything from an Atom processor to a quad core. My 2 year old gateway slows way down when it heats up, which it does when sitting in my lap.

I's suggest looking at the Windows event log to see if anything is complaining.

Dan

Alistair Hosie
01-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I had a problem like that when you went to ad letters the last letters typed would be taken off the page my son pressed akey and it went well.Now which key I don't know try restarting your computer again and wait five minutes.Alistair

motorcyclemac
01-01-2010, 06:18 PM
Seems that I did have a bug. I ran a spyware program I have. Seems that I hadn't updated it recently enough. There was some keylogger program running. Thanks guys.. now I can rant and ramble on here again.

I didn't even notice it was running in the back ground.

Cheers
Mac.