PDA

View Full Version : OT discovery in researching Hartford Special Machinery Co

doc-zeus
12-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I was looking for info on the manufacturer of a nice super spacer that I acquired. Made by Hartford Special Machinery Co. I found a site showing a great deal of history on Hartford Conn, and in the long list of companys that are or had been in Hartford, I found the following:

SMITH MEDICATED PRUNE COMPANY, 438 Asylum

Not only an unusual name and product, but also an unusual adddress!:)

gnm109
12-31-2009, 05:45 PM
An interesting address. I presume that Asylum street is somewhere near Bedlam Ave. and Bipolar Way in that same town. :)

darryl
12-31-2009, 08:20 PM
Yeah, just up from Lois Lane

Errol Groff
01-01-2010, 12:02 AM
Actually:

The peculiar name of Asylum Hill comes from the School that was founded here in 1807: the Asylum for the Education and Instruction of Deaf and Dumb Persons, the first of its kind in the United States. In commemoration of this area's history, a statue of Alice Cogwell, the school's first student was placed at the intersection of Farmington and Asylum Avenues. Over the years, Asylum Hill has been home to Hartford's notable society, including writers such as Harriet Beecher Stowe and Mark Twain, both of which have museums dedicated to their lives and works in their former residences. Along with its famed residents, is the neighborhood's unique architecture, as seen in the two structures of Trinity Episcopal Church and Cathedral of St. Joseph.

The Mark Twain House is on the corner of Farmington Avenue and Forest Street where my alma mater, Hartford Public High School, is located.

When I was a kid I had a Hartford Courant (the oldest continuous published newspaper in the US) paper route that included Forest Street and South Marshal Street, about 200 customers. Not too bad during the week but the Sunday papers were a chore.

Anyway, now you know a bit more about Hartford than you did before. I don't think that there is any Bedlam Street or Bipolar Lane in Hartford.

doc-zeus
01-01-2010, 09:18 AM
It's interesting, if not somewhat frustrating at times, how word meanings change! It used to be that being gay meant you were happy! Many other words have changed over the years.

I also noticed on the same web site, one of the pictures showed a vintage High School building with two intrances. That reminded me of one ot the stories my dad told years ago. When he attended High School, the building had separate intrance doors for girls and boys, and each sex was forbidden to enter the wrong door. The picture of the Hartford Highschool building showed two intrances, and most likely they had the same policy.

Now some colleges allow both sexes in the same dorm, and I wouldn't be too surprised to find out that somewhere there is a college that allows both sexes in the same dorm room!

My how definitions and standards have changed!

Have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

QSIMDO
01-01-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think that there is any Bedlam Street or Bipolar Lane in Hartford.

No, but let's not discount Franklin Ave.
I was a projectionist at the Art Cinema for a few years.
Hubba hubba! ;)

The first hour was a TRUE test.
After that, you've seen one 20' "hoohoo" you've seen 'em all. :D

I do miss the calzones though.

Wait, I'd better explain that!
Franklin Ave is the Italian neighborhood and the food was fantastic.
Don't want anyone to confuse calzone with colleone!

Errol Groff
01-01-2010, 08:37 PM
I attended the old Hartford High at the corner of Farmington Avenue and Broad Street for two years and then the new Hartford High for my final two years till graduation. The old school, which was ancient, was sacrificed to the building of Interstate 84 which slices through Hartford like a knife. The only remnant of the old building is a sandstone owl (the school mascot) which now perches over the main entrance of the new (now forty six year old) building on Forrest Street.

At Hartford High we didn't have seperate entrances for boys and girly but the 8th grade school I attended did. West Middle School further up on Asylum Ave.

After I maried we lived for a while on Barker Street which intersects Frannklin Ave. where the Art Cinema is or maybe was.

My favorite food joint was the Chicken Coop right near the train station downtown. Mmmmmm. Crispy chicken with honey. Mmmmmmm

I now teach (any of my teacher at HPHS would be astonished to learn this) at Ellis Tech a vo-tech high school in northeastern Ct and a few years ago one of my students showed up wearing a T shirt with HPHS and an Owl on it. I asked him how he came to be wearing a Hartford High T shirt and he was astonished that I knew where it was from Well, duh. The fact that I graduated from there helped!

Well, enough of this rambling down memory lane!