PDA

View Full Version : Shop New Years resolution for 2010

Your Old Dog
01-01-2010, 08:00 AM
I've given the topic much thought. My resolution for 2010:

To finish building my 2x72 inch belt grinder.

I had a Wilton 2x72" belt grinder years ago and sold it on hard times. Now that it's been gone all these years, I know it was the "conjunction" that brought all my projects together. It did jobs that weren't practical to do any other way. I'll post some pictures when it's done.

What's your shop resolution?

Doc Nickel
01-01-2010, 08:12 AM
'Kind ya building, Dog? I had the parts cut for one of the better "no weld" plans floating about the 'net, almost a year ago. (Er, maybe more.) I've been stumbling over 'em ever since, but there's always some other project that's more important.

I'd 'resolve' to do the same thing, but I can't- I do, in fact, simply have far too many other things on the to-do list, and I already have thirteen other grinders in the shop. It simply hasn't been that big a 'need'.

Now, I hope I can fit the time in, and plan to try, but I shouldn't make a 'resolution' out of it. :D

My plans- I forget where I even got 'em, now, and the files are on a now-external hard drive- are for a KMG/Bader style 2x72" system with the 1-1/2" receiver-type tool arm. Lotsa drilling and tapping, spring-loaded tracking arm/wheel up top... I assume this is what you're doing?

I planned to go whole hog, especially now that I have a spare 2HP (or possibly even 5HP, but that's a little overkill) 3-phase motor I can use for it. Get a sealed (NEMA 4?) VFD for speed control and build half a dozen tool arms...

Doc.

Evan
01-01-2010, 08:13 AM
Easy. I'm going to give my milling machine a complete cleaning. I've been using it as a surface grinder the last two days. :eek:

Doc Nickel
01-01-2010, 08:29 AM
Oh, and as for my "resolution", it's a somewhat vague one I'd already been working towards: To get my shop and tools in order.

For the past two years plus, I've been on a buying jag; starting with a multi-truckload buy I made a while back that included a little Atlas horizontal, an Ammco brake lathe, some blacksmithing stuff, and other bits. That wasn't even paid off before I added a horizontal mill and a newer, bigger lathe ('56 is newer than '49, right? :D ) and the horizontal was still in the works when I added a big pedestal grinder and horizontal bandsaw- then this (past) year I brought in a buffer, carbide grinder, big surface grinder, planer blade grinder and a bunch of smaller tools like a heavy punch, more vises, more blacksmithing stuff, and so on.

So there's a lot of "unsettled" stuff- machines in the process of being rebuilt or even just fixed, lots of stuff that needs a final mounting position rather than just "whatever convenient spot is open", and a lot of "support" work- like wiring, air plumbing, tool racks or storage, and so on.

But, on the positive side, I do, in fact, now have most of my main "wants". Some of 'em still need to be fixed or repaired or finished, and a lot of 'em still need to be tooled up, but the surface grinder was my last 'big machine' want.

Not to say I might not find something else to fool with, but now I have two vertical mills, one horizontal mill, two good lathes, four drill presses, two shapers and the surface grinder- all of which make for a pretty well-rounded machine shop.

That is, when they're all working, that is. :D

The major machines still "down" are both shapers (one just needs a drive and stand, the other a pretty full rebuild) the old drill press (big camelback) and the mill-drill.

This year, apart from the myriad "little" things- tooling, wiring, storage, etc.- I hope to get at least three of those done: The mill, the drill and either one of the shapers.

I'll consider that best case, but I'll be happy with any two.

Doc.

John Stevenson
01-01-2010, 08:41 AM
I might, just might, attempt to see if there is a floor there sometime this year.
Contemplating.........................

HSS
01-01-2010, 08:57 AM
I don't do NYR cause I don't remember what they were when I sober up.:D Just kidding, I don't drink that much anymore. I finally got my 2X72 put back together and running. Man, that thing sure is handy. The belt wouldn't track, so I had to re-turn the top wheel. I built it from the plans that LMS sells. I think next I will try to make the swing threading tool like John made.

Happy New Year one and all.

Timleech
01-01-2010, 08:58 AM
I want to get a wooden 'garage' built. Can't run to a brick one, anyway lots of extra paperwork needed for that. Lined & insulated, it'll take my grinders (surface, T&C and drill), THEN I might stand a chance of finding some floor in the shop.

It's waiting on some decent weather to get a brick path relaid, the ground (heavy clay) was sodden for a couple of months and now it's frozen like iron, once the path's done I can get a slab laid for the garage.

Tim

oldtiffie
01-01-2010, 08:59 AM
My New Year resolutions for 2010 - and all others to come are:

1. Don't make any; and

2. If I do make any, not to keep 'em.

Its worked fine just about every other year - can't see how or why this one should or will be any different.

Your Old Dog
01-01-2010, 08:59 AM
................... My plans- I forget where I even got 'em, now, and the files are on a now-external hard drive- are for a KMG/Bader style 2x72" system with the 1-1/2" receiver-type tool arm. Lotsa drilling and tapping, spring-loaded tracking arm/wheel up top... I assume this is what you're doing? ....................

That's about what I plan to make. I have everything but the rubber coated wheel and a 2 HP motor. Everything else is in the shop as been collecting the material for a while now.

Your Old Dog
01-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I might, just might, attempt to see if there is a floor there sometime this year.
Contemplating.........................

That's easy, open your eyes! It was New Years Eve last night. I assume you had a good time. Ain't the floor where your last post was made from? :D

2ManyHobbies
01-01-2010, 09:27 AM
1. Get most of those 85% complete projects done.
2. Clean/rearrange the place.
3. Watch the belt-grinder threads. I have a surface grinder and space issues, so the logical choice would be to build an adapter.

vpt
01-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I am very ambitious this year. My goal is to clean out (sell) all the car parts I have collected over the years, and drywall at least the ceiling this year and insulate the doors.

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/1849/partsss001.jpg

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7627/partsss002.jpg

Tony Ennis
01-01-2010, 10:09 AM
I resolve to get my lathe running. I've been looking at it for 2 years.

bmw625
01-01-2010, 10:49 AM
resolve not to read PM site. I get irritated when reading most of don's posts !!:)

nheng
01-01-2010, 12:02 PM
resolve not to read PM site. I get irritated when reading most of don's posts !!:)

Try some of the machine specific PM forums. Don is hardly around those (unless it's one of his favorite machines) :)

Don's New Year's resolution is the same as North Korea's ... to be less hostile :D

In DT's defense, I've know plenty of individuals who were taken as grumpy old men by those who had not yet shaken free of their Pampers phase. Most were pretty good guys.

Den

bmw625
01-01-2010, 12:28 PM
yeah, he's probably ok, just sometimes I think he needs an icewater enema !:D

Pete F
01-01-2010, 12:40 PM
http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7627/partsss002.jpg

My resolution is to make my garage look more like that, and less like it is now. Not that it isn't messy, mind you, just not enough tools out there.

My BIL came by last night, and wanted to see something in the garage. When he went out there he said, "Wow, that's a lot of tools!" He has no idea. He plays golf. His garage has a rack of golf shoes in it.

-Pete

small.planes
01-01-2010, 01:51 PM
going to build and race my first turbo engine.
Of course Build is more involved than just assemble, need to make a special stroke crank to stay in class capacity (X1.4 for turbo cars), probably some rods, maybe a head. certainly manifolds etc.
Aiming for 200hp/litre.... :eek:
Ill take photos as I go and write up when I finish ;)

Dave

lakeside53
01-01-2010, 01:54 PM
Groan.... I promised myself to NOT acquire anymore iron until I finish the projects I already have...

Re-build two BP (bare metal to "as new"), decommission the working BP, rebuild ir (frigg...might just sell it...), finish my B&S 2L surface grinder restoration... and a zillion smaller projects...

But.... every now and then a great deal comes my way.... and... ;) :( :D

saltmine
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
My "New Year's" resolution is to clean up my shop.

Right now, there's not enough room inside to fall down with all of the junk in there. I almost got stranded last week....I had to get outside to change my mind, and almost didn't make it.

If I don't get the shop cleaned up, I'll have to figure out a place to keep emergency food and water to survive until somebody shoves the door open with a bulldozer.

Maybe after I get the shop cleaned up, I can go back to my disc-valve, four-stroke, air cooled, model aircraft engine. (I've got the bottom end and the cylinder started)...Next step is machining the mounting lugs (to the crankcase) and cooling fins. Then I can start on the cylinder head.

Timleech
01-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Aiming for 200hp/litre.... :eek:

Dave

That should make for a good bang when it breaks ;)

Tim

ptjw7uk
01-01-2010, 02:18 PM
Going to try and tidy the workshop, trouble is when I trun around that side is just as messy as the clean side was .....go figure!

Anyway Happy New Year.

Peter