PDA

View Full Version : semi ot - forum display

rockrat
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
After reading the "strange typing delay" thread because I noticed that the same thing happens to me on another web site, I have noticed one thing here that is bothering me.

When I go to the forum page, the titles of the threads that I have not read or have a new posting to them are a more bold text, indicating that there is recent activity. I sort by last post. And this observation has worked for me for some time now, or so I thought.

Now, I notice that while there are bold type threads and there is new activity in them and they can be either new or replies to threads I have read or replied to, there are many threads that are not bold but I have read them and there is new activity in them. I think that I have missed many good conversations due to this.

As you can see here, there is a thread that is no longer bold yet I read it before Evan last posted. It should then be bold for me so that I know there was activity. Yes?

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/ot.jpg (http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/katiecat222/temp/ot.jpg)

How is the forum supposed to work? Is it not supposed to show me activity for any thread that has changed since I have been here? Did something change while I was sleeping in the back of the class?

Thanks
rock~

Carld
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
I too have noticed it does not always switch to bold.

EVguru
01-02-2010, 04:21 AM
I think it resets once a day.

Your Old Dog
01-02-2010, 07:06 AM
Is this when you very first log on for the day? I normally hit "F5 refresh" and everything updates for me while I'm in a session on the board. Frequently when I'm on, Sir John makes a post and I can only see it if I hit F5 refresh. John must get on about 10 - 12 each day as I normally here at 6am est.

rockrat
01-02-2010, 10:09 AM
YOD, Thanks. I nearly missed your 2nd reply to the powdercoat thread for this reason.

I'll have to watch when I'm on and off closer. If it resets each day, then I will also need to pay a bit of attention to the times that the new bold posts are there compared to the other posts that I know I didnt see.

rock~

Barrington
01-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Depends how you use the forum :-

1: Look at list of threads
2: Click on thread, read it.
3: Click browser 'back button' as many times as necessary to get back to list of threads.
N.B. Thread list is same as when you left it...
5: Refresh page (or press F5 (should work) or CNTRL + F5 for a full refresh) - Thread now shows as 'no new posts'.

OR

3: At top of screen where it says: "The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS > General > semi ot - forum display" - Click 'General'
4: Back at list of threads, with thread just viewed shown correctly as 'no new posts'.

(Clicking through the link 'General' has caused the page to reload as per the refresh above.)

Cheers

rockrat
01-02-2010, 11:07 PM
Depends how you use the forum :-

3: Click browser 'back button' as many times as necessary to get back to list of threads.
N.B. Thread list is same as when you left it...
5: Refresh page (or press F5 (should work) or CNTRL + F5 for a full refresh) - Thread now shows as 'no new posts'.

Did that and it works as you have noted.

3: At top of screen where it says: "The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS > General > semi ot - forum display" - Click 'General'
4: Back at list of threads, with thread just viewed shown correctly as 'no new posts'.

(Clicking through the link 'General' has caused the page to reload as per the refresh above.)

Cheers

Yes, that works as well and if I read thread A and the last person to reply was Evan (for instance) then every time I come back to the thread and Evans last post is the same (that is he didnt post twice) then yes, there is no need for a new post notice. But thats not my issue.

Same scenario, different inputs. This time I have read thread A and shut down my browser. When I fire it back up thread A shows that there are no new posts but Evan is no longer the last one posting. Now it is some one different. In the end, there has been a posting and I wont know unless I watch the last posting member.

I watched the postings today and it has happened a bit. In fact, it happened on this thread with your post.

Maybe if a post is sent while I am in a thredad and when I back out the flag does not get set because I was in there and unless I update the thread while I am in the thread to see the new post, I wont see a new post flag.

I must be doing something strange now. I dont remember this going on in the past. I'll have to keep digging.

rock~

Barrington
01-03-2010, 05:51 AM
A browser cookie problem maybe ?

A couple of times now mine have got into some sort corrupted state where certain threads get stuck as showing 'new posts' when there aren't any.

The only clean way I've found to sort this is to delete all the 'bbs.homeshopmachinist.net' cookies. (The critical info seems to be saved in 'hsmbbsthread_lastview'.)

Unfortunately this means all threads then revert to showing with 'no new posts'...

I'm not sure how being logged-on affects things either - things seem to behave differently if you log out deliberately or just get logged out automatically after a timeout. :confused:

Cheers