PDA

View Full Version : My simple solution to burning waste oil for heat

Richard86
01-03-2010, 03:24 PM
For the past couple months I've been heating my shop with my "redneck stove". I've used wmo(waste motor oil) to heat my shop for 10 years now. It's also my only source of heat. Although I started burning wood in this particular stove last year to supliment my Clean Burn stove which was a little to small for my 2400 sq.ft. leaky shop.

I knew I wanted to convert this stove to wmo, but was debating on a design. Well I debated untill it was freezing outside and then just went with the quickest and easiest design my simple mind could come up with. I'm actually quite pleased with it. I know it's redneck and could stand for major improvements. I really would like to install some temp sensors and oil solenoid valves for safety reasons. This thing will get extremely hot if left unattended.

I haven't even run the Clean Burn this season (it's now for sale). Anyway here's what I come up with, see what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LyxOeVkvW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpDpYhPKN70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8Z-lTuxVZg

MTNGUN
01-03-2010, 03:27 PM
For the benefit of rural members who lack broadband, any chance we could get an explanation and maybe a pic or two ?

These days I use waste oil for chainsaw bar oil, and wish I had more of it.

Richard86
01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Sorry about that I will work on that. I always think of myself as being rural. But I do have hish speed out here in the middle of nowwhere. It just seems easier to me to post youtube than pics, how crazy is that?

Rich

Bruce Griffing
01-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Richard-
Do you have insurance on your shop? Will they cover you with that furnace?

Richard86
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I do have insurance, and if my shop burns down from this stove I'm screwed.. As I would be with a wood burner. So I have to be very careful. I can't imagine the money I've save burning oil, but there are also drawbacks to it. Just one of those things you have to weigh out. I was told that with the factory burner I wasn't even covered.

Rich

Ryobiguy
01-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Super cool! Looks like that's a great way to keep your shop warm. BTW, cool shop!
-Matt

rollin45
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
It's a beautiful thing!!

How much oil do you go through in the course of a day?

rollin'

Willy
01-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Damn Richard, that's a nice big shop you got there, looks warm and cozy too.
Looks like you have a pretty good handle on the idiosyncrasies of the heater, safety issues an such, and the fact the you know you have to keep an eye on it. It's not for everyone, but then you did not build it for everyone.
I'm sure once you get some of these issues worked out of your prototype model you have the potential for a very efficient and safe unit that won't need too much babysitting.
Lots of low cost heat in waste oil if you have a source, and I'm sure you do or you wouldn't have taken this route. A lot of people in warmer climes don't realize how many BTUs it takes to heat a large shop.
I like it!

Just a thought as I have been toying with the same idea that you are working on and have always been afraid of the insurance issue. We all know how insurance companies will drop you like a hot potato if they can. The part that scares me is that even in the summer when that heater hasn't run for months, if they see it after a fire, you'll need to do a whole "lotta splainin".
What I would like to do is divorce the heater completely from the shop.
Have it isolated far enough from the shop so that it is not a direct threat to the shop or my insurance policy, and just fan force the heat through insulated ducts. What do ya think?

millwrong
01-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Yea, insurance; the biggest scam besides the oil business! if they see that, they will null your insurance. I pulled my woodstove from my garage shop. It was cheaper than the yearly new regulations the insurance people wanted me to abide by. My local insurance guy discreetly told me that in the event of a woodstove related fire, the insurer would "unlikely" pay out. I'm hopin, that with global warming, I can soon work in a pair of flip-flops...

RB211
01-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Ahh the joys of being in Florida...

DeereGuy
01-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Hi Richard,
Nice job on the demo of the stove. Did you ever have that Clean Burn suddenly vaporize excess oil and create a sudden mini flash explosion? Back in the mid 80's we had one do that in a shop that I ran.

Your Old Dog
01-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Absolutly fantastic! By the way, was that a Sea Foam painted press in the background? Were they out of Fuscia? :D

Richard86
01-03-2010, 07:50 PM
It's a beautiful thing!!

How much oil do you go through in the course of a day?

rollin'

I'm burning around 20 gallons a day. I've been running it about 12 to 15 hours a day and leaving it off at night.

Rich

Richard86
01-03-2010, 08:02 PM
What I would like to do is divorce the heater completely from the shop.
Have it isolated far enough from the shop so that it is not a direct threat to the shop or my insurance policy, and just fan force the heat through insulated ducts. What do ya think?[/QUOTE]

I've been dreaming that for years. What I really want is to heat water and heat the shop and house, and hot water heaters. I've been fighting to find a good burner that I don't have to constantly fight. Amazingly this simple design with a little tweaking will do that for me.

This next year I'm adding a 30 x 60 garage to the shop. I want to build a cement block room in the far corner to house my oil burner and heat the water.

Rich

Richard86
01-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi Richard,
Nice job on the demo of the stove. Did you ever have that Clean Burn suddenly vaporize excess oil and create a sudden mini flash explosion? Back in the mid 80's we had one do that in a shop that I ran.

Oh the agony of that Clean Burn, yes I've had it do that, but only when I had the safety switch bypassed (about the only way I could get it to burn the last several years). I have cleaned replaced suspect parts, even unsuspecting parts and still couldn't get that thing to work like it did the first two years I had it. It may be something simple, it is a machine after all, but I'm done with it.
It was really too small for the size of shop and my location.

Rich

Richard86
01-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Absolutly fantastic! By the way, was that a Sea Foam painted press in the background? Were they out of Fuscia? :D

Funny thing that (Sea Foam) press, I got that for $15 dollars on a shop sale years ago. At the time I wondered why I got it so cheap, now maybe I know why. It was also freshly painted. Hope they didn't paint it to bring more money.

Sorry about all these quote posts. I've seen posts with multiple quotes in a post. If someone would PM me with instruction on how to do that I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit postin illiterate.

Rich

gzig5
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Where do you get the oil to keep it running? Twenty gallons a day is not insignificant.:eek:

aboard_epsilon
01-03-2010, 08:18 PM
20 gallons a day ..wow

i heated my whole house with about 4 gallons a day ..

the blower isn't doing you any favours ..
most of the heat is going up the chimney ..

i let mine pull in its own air ...and restricted at that.

total whole size when up and running was less than an inch

you will find that the more you restrict it ......the slower the air will pull through the firnace.......doing that means more heat is less likely to go up the chimney.....then you'll find that you can turn your oil flow down...because the furnace will get hotter ....i melted my inch thick dish it got that hot .

it ran 8 radiators ...and could pump out hot water all day ...out the end of a hose .

but what i had get coming out of the chimney is a more concentrated smoke....cause its not mixed with a lot of air .....same emissions ..but just concentrated .looks worse, but isn't.

but if you have all that oil to spare, go right ahead.

from what i learned ..i reckon .i could probably heat your place with a furnace about 14 inches in diameter.

the reason the pro ones are so big ..is this mixing of great globs of air with the smoke makes them less efficient .the reason for the mixing great amounts is because of the way they measure emissions ..its to dilute it .........but the thing is ........whats the difference.........if your burning less oil for the same end .....with a smaller not emission measuring friendly one.

all the best.markj

DeereGuy
01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Richard I just sent you a PM with my experience with a Clean Burn and flash fire.....We didn't have the saftey switch bypassed....

Your Old Dog
01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Rich, I'd paint my entire shop Sea Foam if I could get it that cheap !

To do multiple quotes I simple make one nomal one and post it. I then go to the next post I want to quote and do it but don't post it, I highlight it and copy it to my clipboard and then take it back to my original post and do an edit and "paste" it in. There is a faster way if you have multiple tabs on your browser but takes longer to explain.

vpt
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I always end up trying to get rid of about 50 gallons of oil a year and than turn around and split wood every day to heat the shop. I have been thinking of doing this very same thing for quite some time. Thanks much for the videos!

Unfortunately my wood stove leaks like the hover dam even after I welded allot of the seams up. So it would not be a good subject for waste oil.

I would like to know if anyone here built a waste oil heater from scratch? I would also like to remote the heater outside to free up more space in the shop.

Duffy
01-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I always end up trying to get rid of about 50 gallons of oil a year and than turn around and split wood every day to heat the shop. I have been thinking of doing this very same thing for quite some time. Thanks much for the videos!

Unfortunately my wood stove leaks like the hover dam even after I welded allot of the seams up. So it would not be a good subject for waste oil.

I would like to know if anyone here built a waste oil heater from scratch? I would also like to remote the heater outside to free up more space in the shop.
I have not built one from scratch, but have two suggestions. First do a search for waste oil fired pottery kilns. They are simple to build and work very well. Some use a drip feed with air blowing the oil stream against a hot fire brick. Second, take a look at the design of outdoor wood stoves. They were developed to overcome the fire insurance problem. While they burn wood, a similar design would burn waste oil-hell, it couldnt tell! For those who have never seen these units, they are made in Manitoba, and look like a big doghouse. Even the small ones will take four foot wood. Usually they heat water, which is circulated into the house to either radiators or a fan/coil unit for forced air. In COLD weather, they are fired about every eight to twelve hours, while when it is milder they run 24 hours. They dont give these away, but it should not be TOO HARD for an ingenious individual to reverse engineer one. For waste oil, think a firebrick firebox, not welded steel. Duffy