PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic Stacker

ligito
01-03-2010, 06:39 PM
I need to provide a manual hydraulic stacker to a friend, to stack ATV's on pallet shelving, 48 inches and up, above the floor.

It is for a residential garage and I will install commercial pallet shelving.

The ATV's are under 1,000 lbs and about 6 ft long.
If necessary, we can custom build lifting platforms, or pallets.

Will the knowledgable among you let me know if the following product is up to the task?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4VME2

Willy
01-03-2010, 06:48 PM
My biggest concerns would be stability.
Unlike a forklift which has a considerable amount of mass down low to stabilize the load, this unit although capable of lifting a 1000lb easily, would have all of the weight up high.

japcas
01-03-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm no engineer so take this with a grain of salt. I see no reason why the lift you listed wouldn't lift a 600 to 800 pound atv. This unit is designed to lift pallets anyway and has a load capacity of 1600 pounds. The lift doesn't know what's on it anyway. As always you would just have to be careful when pushing it forward to set the pallet off on the shelf.

Tinkerer
01-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I'd make a four post platform lift.. drive the first one on the lift raise then push the next under it. Could use hydraulics or cables for the lift mechanism... or camper jacks.

ligito
01-03-2010, 07:18 PM
For under $1600 and has the portability to lift an ATV to different platforms?

I spoke with Grainger Techs and sales people on a conference call and they seem to think it would work but I want to know from the forum, what your opinion is.

Your Old Dog
01-03-2010, 07:40 PM
It may raise it your 48" but how does it slide it onto the shelf with that skinny footprint? Are there runners that go out from the feet for more stability. I can see how it raises it but don't understand what you do when you get the ATV up there?

Pherdie
01-03-2010, 07:52 PM
How level is your garage floor?? It's probably sloped for drainage. Something to think about based on the narrow footprint of the lift you are considering.

Fred

ligito
01-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I will raise the lower load beams high enough for the legs to go under them.

I think it would be similar to a pallet jack, just a higher load.

HSS
01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
You will still have to push the pallet jack with the atv load into the pallet rack. Not an easy task with those small wheels and it will be top heavy to the front. If you hit an obsticle with one of the front rollers it may very well fall forward into the pallet rack. I use a similar device for positioning things except I have a very heavy counter weight on the backend of my lift. Hard as hell to move, too.

Patrick

gunbuilder
01-03-2010, 10:19 PM
ligito,
Will it work, I think so. Would I use one, no. I have a Hyster Stand-up forklift, it cost way less than that.

You must have something that will be more stable than that already in your shop.

Just my opinion,
Paul

KIMFAB
01-03-2010, 10:58 PM
I have a manual unit like that rated at 500 lbs. and I wonder about those tiny front wheels.
I have nothing but trouble with mine running into a little pebble or anything bigger than 1/8" when it is loaded.

The majority of the weight is on the front when loaded and can get tippy. Will you be lifting sideways? If straight on you will have 2' hanging out front making it worse.
I use mine a lot, it is a handy unit but not for regular heavy use.
It can't be beat though for use as a variable height table

ligito
01-04-2010, 12:55 AM
Fork length 43 in.
Load center 24 in.
Front wheels are 2 29/32, rear wheels are 7 in.

Pallet width(depth) 48 in.
Pallet length 72 in.

Lifting from the long side.

He has no other lifting device except for a HF 880 lb winch that he currently uses to pull it up 12 ft ramps to a 50 in high platform.