View Full Version : flat drive belt source

01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
i am looking for a 1-1/8" by 79" continuous flat drive belt for my ace grinder. i would think a 1-1/4" wide one would work. about 1/16" thick.

does anyone know of a source besides oliver (the manufacturer) ?

they have a min. order of two and i will never need a second one, plus they are very spendy from them.

i have looked in mcmaster carr and did not see one there. . .plus googled it and did not readily find one.

01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
You might want to look at the Gates Belting web site and see about finding a serpentine belt of that size. You can run them grooves down like normal with no problems on your flat pulleys.

01-04-2010, 04:15 PM
A few months ago I had to replace the flat belt on my Lathe. I ordered one from McMaster - Carr on line.They also carry the 'alligator clips' needed to assemble it to the machine. Jim

01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Local saddler or harness maker? The spare belt for my Barnes looks suspiciously like a heavy cinch latigo off a western saddle. A long scarf and contact cement for a true endless belt. My research tells me the scarf is easily cut with a sharp wood plane.

Alligator lacing can make an annoying tic, tic, tic, tic as the metal lacing goes over the sheaves. Latigo lacing is difficult to do apparently.

01-04-2010, 06:55 PM
probably going on 10 yrs I grew tired of gluing up the shops 16"" S.B. lathe belt every year then inspireation!!!!!!!! I went to a junkyard and got a pickup seatbelt and glued it w/ shoogoo. In looking back I would have doubled up the thickness in that application and also lockstiched it w/ an awl, it"s still running but that would probably make the belt bulletproof. You can also find different widthes at fabric stores [later did same thing to my 9" S.B.]

Bob Farr
01-04-2010, 09:29 PM
Will leather work?

01-04-2010, 10:27 PM
I've used Hudson Belting and Service Company from Worchetser MA in the past with good luck. Nice folks to deal with.

Al Messer
01-04-2010, 10:32 PM
Will leather work?

Well, I've been using a glued together Leather belt on my Montgomery Ward lathe since 1993. I got the piece of belting from Tandy Leather Corp.

01-10-2010, 02:58 PM
i purchased and have installed a serpentine belt on my machine. from a mopar car of some sort. only problem i can see is that its made with kevlar and not forgiving. might be a tad tight. they do make the same belt in rubber and maybe that would have been better. time will tell. thanks for the responses.and sources for next time.

01-10-2010, 04:23 PM
I second leatherdrive belts .com. John Knox is First Class A #1 fine fellow. I got my belt from him and he helped four of my friends to get their stuff up and running! A truly fine fellow! Fred

01-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Tractor Supply sells some various belting.

andy b.