PDA

View Full Version : flat drive belt source

davidh
01-04-2010, 01:00 PM
i am looking for a 1-1/8" by 79" continuous flat drive belt for my ace grinder. i would think a 1-1/4" wide one would work. about 1/16" thick.

does anyone know of a source besides oliver (the manufacturer) ?

they have a min. order of two and i will never need a second one, plus they are very spendy from them.

i have looked in mcmaster carr and did not see one there. . .plus googled it and did not readily find one.

thanks
davidh

Doozer
01-04-2010, 02:42 PM
You might want to look at the Gates Belting web site and see about finding a serpentine belt of that size. You can run them grooves down like normal with no problems on your flat pulleys.

--Doozer

BimmE
01-04-2010, 03:15 PM
A few months ago I had to replace the flat belt on my Lathe. I ordered one from McMaster - Carr on line.They also carry the 'alligator clips' needed to assemble it to the machine. Jim

camdigger
01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Local saddler or harness maker? The spare belt for my Barnes looks suspiciously like a heavy cinch latigo off a western saddle. A long scarf and contact cement for a true endless belt. My research tells me the scarf is easily cut with a sharp wood plane.

Alligator lacing can make an annoying tic, tic, tic, tic as the metal lacing goes over the sheaves. Latigo lacing is difficult to do apparently.

GNO
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
probably going on 10 yrs I grew tired of gluing up the shops 16"" S.B. lathe belt every year then inspireation!!!!!!!! I went to a junkyard and got a pickup seatbelt and glued it w/ shoogoo. In looking back I would have doubled up the thickness in that application and also lockstiched it w/ an awl, it"s still running but that would probably make the belt bulletproof. You can also find different widthes at fabric stores [later did same thing to my 9" S.B.]

Bob Farr
01-04-2010, 08:29 PM
Will leather work?

http://www.leatherdrivebelts.com/

Bob

Corm
01-04-2010, 09:27 PM
I've used Hudson Belting and Service Company from Worchetser MA in the past with good luck. Nice folks to deal with.

http://www.mindravegroup.com/hudsonbelting/index.html

Al Messer
01-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Will leather work?

http://www.leatherdrivebelts.com/

Bob

Well, I've been using a glued together Leather belt on my Montgomery Ward lathe since 1993. I got the piece of belting from Tandy Leather Corp.

davidh
01-10-2010, 01:58 PM
i purchased and have installed a serpentine belt on my machine. from a mopar car of some sort. only problem i can see is that its made with kevlar and not forgiving. might be a tad tight. they do make the same belt in rubber and maybe that would have been better. time will tell. thanks for the responses.and sources for next time.
davidh

laddy
01-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey,
I second leatherdrive belts .com. John Knox is First Class A #1 fine fellow. I got my belt from him and he helped four of my friends to get their stuff up and running! A truly fine fellow! Fred

andy_b
01-13-2010, 08:11 PM
Tractor Supply sells some various belting.

andy b.