PDA

View Full Version : Shars and CDCO machinery

old blue
01-04-2010, 05:10 PM
I would like to order some stuff from both places and was wondering
if they were ok places to do business with.

Thanks old blue

http://www.cdcotools.com/

http://www.shars.com/files/products/catalog2010/page61.pdf

Cobra
01-04-2010, 05:23 PM
I have had good luck with most of the orders from CDCO.
Tool holders, vices, guage blocks, indicators were great
Jim

Gary Gill
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I was pleased doing business with CDCO. Quality was as expected. Items were shipped quickly.

Carld
01-04-2010, 05:26 PM
CDCO, yep, order it today, get it tomorrow. Been satisfied with everything but the edge finder.

TR
01-04-2010, 05:58 PM
Both are excellent. Have purchased much from both.

KiddZimaHater
01-04-2010, 06:08 PM
I've purchased from SHARS thru their Ebay store. No problem.

Big T
01-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Good to hear about CDCO as I put in an order with them. Communication was great with Frank about shipping up to Canada. Quick to reply back considering it was 9:30 pm.

mikep379
01-04-2010, 07:21 PM
Another company to check with on prices is Complete Manufacturer's Equipment. www.cme-tools.com

dockrat
01-04-2010, 07:22 PM
I've purchased from SHARS thru their Ebay store. No problem.

What name does thier Ebay store go under??

Tony Ennis
01-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Frank from CDCO just sent me a shipping confirmation email on my AXA toolpost.

RetiredFAE
01-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Both are excellent. Have purchased much from both.
+1 for the above.

quasi
01-04-2010, 09:01 PM
CME's prices seem much higher than CDCO'S based on a few quick comparisons.

I have purchased fron both CDCO and Shars. Both are great to deal with but CDCO is much cheaper on average than Shars from my comparisons. Shars carrys more of a product line however.

For Canadians, CDCO and Shars even with shipping factored in are less than 50% of the price of KBC Canada or Busy Bee.

Big T
01-04-2010, 09:36 PM
CME's prices seem much higher than CDCO'S based on a few quick comparisons.

I have purchased fron both CDCO and Shars. Both are great to deal with but CDCO is much cheaper on average than Shars from my comparisons. Shars carrys more of a product line however.

For Canadians, CDCO and Shars even with shipping factored in are less than 50% of the price of KBC Canada or Busy Bee.

Busy bee qaulity on turning tools, end mills are not the best I found. You get what you pay for.
I ordered some stuff from KBC Tools that were in the sale flyer, price wasnt to bad. End mills were made in USA, so hopefully they are OK.
CDCO has great shipping rates by USPS.
Tools 4 cheap is also good to deal with.

daveo
01-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Shars was cheaper on the stuff I bought, I called both and couldnt understand the guy from CDCO. The shars stuff I bought I didnt have any problems with and the shipping was fast...

whitis
01-04-2010, 09:43 PM
What name does thier Ebay store go under??

The following ebay store appears to be shars:
http://stores.ebay.com/Discount-Machine-Shop

Both companies need to get off their keisters and put product manuals online.

gnm109
01-04-2010, 11:00 PM
I use Enco and CDCO, depending upon what's on sale. Both have been excellent. I use CDCO a bit more since they accept PayPal and I would rather pay up front than run a balance on a credit card.

Both Enco and CDCO are very promt on shipping and when Enco has free shipping, I will go with them. I got free shipping and a sale price on my Kurt vise last fall. I was rather heavy and it came by a truck shipper.

I want a DRO for my Enco 13 X 40 lathe and CDCO has them at good prices so I'll probably order one from them fairly soon.

andy_b
01-04-2010, 11:05 PM
I've used both Shars and CDCO, never had a problem with either.

andy b.

Your Old Dog
01-05-2010, 06:52 AM
ditto on CDCO. Fair price, decent quality and quick shipping.

Duffy
01-05-2010, 08:33 AM
ditto on CDCO. Fair price, decent quality and quick shipping.
I have used CDCO a couple of times and their prices and service has been very good. HOWEVER on my most recent order, a couple of BXA toolholders would not fit my tool post. CDCO suggested sanding! I eventually removed about .005" fro the face of each holder to get a fit. At $9.00 each, they were a bargain, but it would have been better if they fit on the first try. O(ther than these, I have been pleased with most stuff. The D1-3 camlock back plate is definitely NOT an easy fit on the 6" 4-jaw chuck, but the 3-jaw was no problem, nor was the 5-C collet chuck. I will buy more from them. Duffy

wierdscience
01-05-2010, 09:11 AM
+1 for CDCO

rklopp
01-05-2010, 12:28 PM
+1 for CDCO. I ordered a half-dozen BXA clone holders from CDCO. They fit better than some of the Aloris holders I own, though I did replace all the setscrews with better ones purchased from McMaster. Still, CDCO sectscrews were way better than the ones from Quality Machine Tools in Mass.

+1 for Shars on a "CNC" style Albrecht drill chuck. It's a nice unit, less runout than my Rohm keyless chuck.

kenrinc
01-05-2010, 01:15 PM
Always had no issue with CDCO in terms of shipping and price. Some things are cheaper at Shars and vise versa.

I've had the same problem with my AXA toolholders from CDCO although I can't say I wasn't surprised, just "one more thing" to deal with. I've bought so much of this stuff over the years you get used to inconsistent specs. I figured I'd just mill off a few thou until they fit. Has anybody confirmed that they are actually hardened like it says? If they can be sanded I'd assume no but not sure.

Ken

Ryobiguy
01-05-2010, 01:21 PM
I also got some BXA toolholders from CDCO. SUPER cheap, so I bought a handful of them. Nicely ground dovetail that fits fine on my wedge, but three things I hate:

1) WORST quality metric set-screws, feels soft like aluminum, and the bottom is burred and makes the tool rotate when tightening. Almost had to drill one out, I've got a box of brand name set screws in the mail (via Enco's free shipping deal, heh.)

2) Sloppy aluminum knurled height adjuster. Maybe I'll make some replacements out of steel.

3) Awful finish/lack of flatness on the flat where the tool lays. And old worn harbor freight endmill would leave a better finish.

Still, for the price, it's an awesome "kit". Once I replace the setscrews and the height adjuster, and mill or stone the tool flat FLAT, then they'll be great.

-Matt

DICKEYBIRD
01-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Well, I guess I'll have to be the dissenting voice re: CDCO. I have bought a TON of stuff from them over the last 4 yrs. and worked my way through the various quality issues, correcting the faults on my own without complaint. I figured the value was good for the money spent. Most of the problems were minor and corrected without too much effort.

One item (a D.T.I) was complete trash but again, it was very cheap and the dovetail fittings & hardware that came with it were probably worth the money I spent. No complaints from me and I've bought a bunch more stuff since then.

I ordered both of their "Piloted Spindle Tappers" a few months ago and didn't get around to opening the boxes to use one of them until 32 days from date of sale. I'd heard about the communications problems with Mr. CDCO previously and decided to box them both back up at my expense with a concise letter pointing out the multiple issues that rendered them useless for anything, much less for what they were supposed to do. Too bad for even me to find another use for.

In the letter, I pointed out that I had been a good customer in the past and that I realized that it was 2 days past his posted guarantee period. I thanked him for the low priced tooling he provides us hobbyists with and (truthfully) said I would continue to be a good customer, regardless of his decision.

I didn't hear a peep for weeks after that so I checked with our shipping guys here at work and they pulled the signed delivery receipt from UPS's site to make sure he'd received the package. I waited a few more days and emailed him through his contact link on the website, again with a concise, respectful letter. I tried to make the letter as simple and understandable as I could, realizing the possible language barrier. Never heard a word since then, yea, nay....nothing. A no answer would have stopped the whole thing, no questions asked but not bothering to respond at all is very disrespectful and pi$$es me off bigtime.

To me that is a capital offense and I've washed my hands of the place forever, regardless of price.

'Nuf said.

daveo
01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I tried to make the letter as simple and understandable as I could, realizing the possible language barrier..
I couldnt understand the guy, that makes me mad!!!

Video Man
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
I sent CDCO an email asking about stuff that's in their catalogue but not on their web site nearly a week ago, then send an on-line order for some other stuff. No reply to the email as of yet or acknowledgement of the order either. Of course the holiday fell in there, but surely somebody could have replied by now....however, my only other order with them was very satisfactory. / Video_man

pcarpenter
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I have been ordering stuff from CDCO Tools for many years. I made the mistake of ordering on line one time and I too think it went in the bit bucket. I called "Frank" and talked with him and he could not find the order in the system at all, so I wonder if I missed a "submit" button or something? Anyhow, all phone orders have been handled very well. There is a language barrier, but he bends over backward to help....like uncrating a magnetic chuck and taking some measurements for me. I don't know that I would get that at Enco or others...but have not tried with the bigger industrial suppliers.

Both CDCO and Shars are up in northern IL and I get stuff very quickly (central IL)...although CDCO used to charge a flat rate to ship stuff, meaning I get screwed since I am 150 miles away. In any case, overall, I figure I am buying Chinese tools from a Chinese sales guy and just adjust to a language barrier. I can deal with having to re-state things or ask a question a different way in exchange for $9 tool holders.:D

As for the fit of quick change holders....that's hard to blame on CDCO or any other place. For those who aren't familiar, this is a common issue. There seems to be a lot of variability in the dimensions of Aloris and copy toolposts...even some angle variation has been documented on this forum. For those who had to knock a bit off theirs, I can only say that likely, if that had not been the case, the same holders would have been loose on my toolpost (a Phase II) where they dropped right on with no issues whatsoever. Better too much material than not enough IMHO.

Paul

old blue
01-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The cheap tool holders was one of the things
I was going to get from CDCO. I think I will buy the tool post from Shars,
has any one had problems with them?

Thanks old blue

pcarpenter
01-05-2010, 04:15 PM
No problem with Shars, but I think you will find the Phase II (a reputable name on import tools) set to be a better bargain when they are on sale at Enco (regularly). I have a 200 series Phase II set I got that way and use the CDCO tool holders for extras. If you don't have one yet, you are going to want the cutoff tool holder and maybe the boring bar holder that come with the Phase II set anyway.

I think I paid $100 for the set from Enco on sale--and then bought extra holders over time from first Grizzly and then CDCO and both holders fit fine. The Grizzly holders are physically larger and that made for more grip on some bigger tools...but it also reduces the work envelope just a bit. The Grizzly holders are twice the price though so I haven't bought any since CDCO started selling theirs so cheap.

Edit-- they went up a bit since I bought mine. On the other hand, I have noticed that Enco will have the same stuff on sale for two different prices in two different sales flyers so this could be one of those cases. http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=505-2172&PMPXNO=953248&PARTPG=INLMK32

Paul

Tony Ennis
01-06-2010, 09:58 AM
Received my QCTP from CDCO yesterday. It was shipped promptly, packed well, and in good order.

MinnesotaHSM
01-06-2010, 04:01 PM
Wish I could be posting positive things about CDCO.

I called in an order last Tuesday (December 29th). He was very rushed on the phone. He called me back the next day because he was unsure of the address. I called yesterday, he told me to send an email, which I did. I called today and he didn't seem to know when it would be shipped, which is not the answer I wanted to hear.

All of this is a definite red flag in my book and makes me think twice. The problem is I am really eyeing a dro for the mill, and I liked his price.

Maybe he needs to hire an unemployed machinist in Chicago to help him out.

- T

gnm109
01-06-2010, 04:50 PM

I called in an order last Tuesday (December 29th). He was very rushed on the phone. He called me back the next day because he was unsure of the address. I called yesterday, he told me to send an email, which I did. I called today and he didn't seem to know when it would be shipped, which is not the answer I wanted to hear.

All of this is a definite red flag in my book and makes me think twice. The problem is I am really eyeing a dro for the mill, and I liked his price.

- T
I'm not sticking up for CDCO necessarily but ordering things during the last week of the year will always engender some confusion. If you don't like CDCO or anyone else for that matter, you should not patronize their company.

pcarpenter
01-06-2010, 05:11 PM
I suppose "I don't know when it will ship" could translate to "we are out of stock". Since their stock must come over on a "slow boat from China" I can see how that would be an issue. That, to me, is one of the small prices you pay for the "small prices". I guess I don't expect the same level of service from a place that sells tool holders for $9 as I would from a place selling them for $40..or even the $21 Grizzly price. That having been said, I have never had any real problems with Frank other than my lost web order which was promptly filled over the phone.

For reference, I bought one of their Sino DRO's maybe 2 years ago for my lathe and was quite happy. I showed photos of my installation here if you want to see what you get in pictures better than their crappy web site photos.

Paul

MinnesotaHSM
01-07-2010, 05:35 PM

- T

As an update I received my order yesterday. Everything was fine and as expected. I don't understand why he couldn't tell me that the order had been shipped when I called yesterday.

- T

Video Man
01-07-2010, 08:43 PM
Update to my previous on CDCO -- my stuff arrived today, they must have forgotten the email confirmation. Nice set of metric 5c collets, and an inside mike. Very pleased with the price/quality and service... checking out the mike, very nicely done and well calibrated; the collets that I have tried check out as true as any I have, well packaged and nicely made. /video_man