PDA

View Full Version : robotic question -

JeffKranz
01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Can anyone help me figure out what this is.

http://i422.photobucket.com/albums/pp304/woodzy9370/clue1.jpg

I have a friend of mine that need to figure out what this is to be on a some robotic team. My guess is they will be getting different pictures and each one is a clue to some final robot design. I'm thinking must be some type of axle bracket or some support stucture that snaps together.

With the range of people on this board I thought maybe someone might have some other ideas.

Jeff

Tony Ennis
01-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Pretty tough without knowing how those tubes move. Do they rotate? do they slide? Do they do both?

We don't even know how large it is. Is it .25" tall? 6" tall? It matters.

It's possible the tubes are fixed and the flat part slides on them. So it could be part of an impact sensor.

From the cutout in the bottom of the sheet, it goes over something curved, like a wheel or gear.

Ah, some sort of limiter. The tab will slide back and forth, but not too far before it hits the stops on the tubes.

teejay
01-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Almost looks like metering rods for a carb.

jim_geib
01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
There could also be a spring inside the tubes. With the cross pins in each tube it could be eather extension or a compression spring.

whitis
01-04-2010, 11:41 PM
Looks to me like an indication the people making the test don't know what they are doing. It looks like they took some specific robot apart and couldn't tell what was a piece of kruft from a specific design and what was pertinent to general robotics knowledge.

Carld
01-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Looks like your friend won't get the job since he nor you know what it is or does.

Looks like a bracket for a muffler bearing on a robot.:cool:

darryl
01-05-2010, 03:18 AM
5mph bumper shocks?

beanbag
01-05-2010, 04:03 AM
It's a "holds two tubes parallel" device.
With clearance and perpendicular mounting.

Weston Bye
01-05-2010, 05:54 AM
This thread reminds me of the story about the group of blind men who were attempting to define an elephant only by the part of elephant that each man could touch.

I have a friend of mine that need to figure out what this is to be on a some robotic team.

Seems like a poorly designed or very unfair test. They need to provide better definition as to the purpose of the robot. Is this part fundamental to the purpose of the robot, or is it simply a cup holder or, as previously mentioned, a muffler bearing?

I see this all the time in manufacturing. A customer will come to us for a quote with a cad model and only a sketchy description of its function or purpose. We ask questions, but give a price based on the information provided. When the customer complains about the price and begrudgingly coughs up more information, we can ususally suggest alternate designs or methods or materials that better and more economically satisfies the design function.

Barrington
01-05-2010, 06:44 AM
It might not actually be anything in particular - it could be a 'lateral thinking' test to see what sort of ideas/comments the 'applicant' comes up with ?

Why is the plate plastic? Why is it on standoffs from the tube? Point out the access holes to the back of the fixings. Some object mounts on 'this' side of plate to put the c of g near the middle of the sliding tubes ? Joints weaker in the vertical direction (as pictured) so may operate with tubes vertical? Why pins not collars for the stops? Blah blah blah...

Doesn't really matter - just bombard the 'interviewer' with ideas.

However, if it really is just a random part which must be identified, then that seems a pretty poor way of judging someone's potential... Might be a good way of judging the team though :D

Cheers

Evan
01-05-2010, 06:46 AM
I have a feeling that it is a test of familiarity with the sport. It looks to me to be a transmitter waist mount bracket that snaps into a harness.

Carld
01-05-2010, 08:42 AM
My real take was, if your involved in the robot hobby then you would already have a good idea what it is for. ;)

Hawkeye
01-05-2010, 11:43 AM
This is the game hint for the FIRST robot competion. The hints are always very vauge.

This Saturday (9 Jan) the teams will get all the game rules so this question will be OBE by then.

Check this forum and there should be lots of discussion about the game hint.

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/portal.php

Everyone on this forum should check out the FIRST website and find a team to help!! www.usfirst.org

it really is a lot of fun!

Barrington
01-05-2010, 12:54 PM
I think we've been had ;)

Here's the 36 page thread discussing what it might be...

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79453&highlight=game+hint

Cheers !!

JeffKranz
01-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the help - I forwarded this thread for him to review. Maybe he can spend some time reading all these emails and the attached links in this thread.

Jeff

Carld
01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Not me, I considered it a hoax from the start.:rolleyes:

andy_b
01-05-2010, 08:14 PM
It looks like the seat backstop for those rocket sleds used to do the NASA testing years ago.

Am I right? Do I win anything? :)

andy b.

boslab
01-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Think you better tell them to learn what the art of drawing is, is not a bloody quizz its a method of passing information, so you might as well tell them it an wrist joint for a mitsibushi RVM1-b [old style with the crap movemaster], just say it with conviction as it could be a chassis for a new supervibrator to the mrs happy
regards
mark