PDA

View Full Version : Dinged-Dang company websites that "don't work" (OT RANT)

Dawai
01-05-2010, 07:25 AM
Supergrit.com Well it crashed over the weekend each time I'd try to establish a account..

they were recommended for sanding belts and flap wheels. (finish on brackets) I have had a industrial belt sander here in pieces now for years. No belts.. Locally the wanted $9-27 per belt. There's is $4.

Emailed Laura, Customer service, nice letter, no biker language, no asking what kinda underpants she was wearing or nuttin.. Seems a "programming" change over the weekend and I fell right between the cracks.. All fixed she said.

Hey, I emailed in my order this morning.. "returned email undeliverable". By the time we get this resolved I will know her kids names and birthdays??

I am too cheap to pay full retail.. unless ...

Java.. do you really ever know what it does to your machine while you are not seeing the input output?? How much business has been lost due to "automated" order system? Most people who are not as stubborn as I would have walked away silently.

I understand I am a home shop machinist, not a big corporation.. not.. that I am going to place a order every week, or every month.. or.. but who knows how fast some things grow?

Boucher
01-05-2010, 08:05 AM
I have had very good service from Supergrit.

I had a lot of trouble placing orders when I was using Dial-up. When I got highspeed broadband most of those problems went away.

Don't know anything about Java Script. I sure got a bad lesson in the form of a computer Virus recently.

Most companies would rather have a large number of small customers than a few big ones. Ups and downs average out a lot better than loosing one big account.

As an old *art, In life I have achieved more being stubborn and refusing to take failure and walk away.

wierdscience
01-05-2010, 09:19 AM
I had one company we have been doing business with for years send us a flyer announcing they're new website and online ordering.

Great I thought,no more 100+ line item pages of hand written orders,I can just use they're shinney new website.Placed a stock order and waited two weeks nothing showed.

Called them up and they couldn't find my order,then the gal on the phone says"you didn't order this through our online store did you,cause nobody here checks that":mad: :confused:

WTF????They spent God knows how much building a full functioning bells and whistles website and don't use it?Really makes a lot of sense don't it:rolleyes:

Dawai
01-05-2010, 09:55 AM
MY buddy down the courthouse was talking about going higher in politics.. SHEESH... when that happens I will have to move to another state.

Exporting a vehicle from a "bill of sale state". You have to have a tag receipt.. and all the paperwork that explains to the "other state" about titling in Georgia.. AND.. that old 1978 Elky cranked and tooke me to town just fine. (17 F degrees here.. that is what? -9 C for you canooks?)

I just called Supergrit directly.. placed my order in refrence to the email which was returned.. Which I sent then to multiple recipents.

I made sure they don't keep the credit card on file, with that many hullabaloos.. well.. hacker paradise.

Rock on.. now I gotta cut the new pulley for the belt sander I exploded pressing the shaft out of.. (was aluminum, steel shaft stuck, 50 ton 5hp press) and yes.. I ran like a rabbit..

hojpoj
01-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Well, I've had similar experiences at other sites, and the issue is usually traced back to my own computer(s). Sometimes, I've found, particular browsers+software versions just don't play well with the online checkouts. As much as I love Mozilla Firefox I sometimes have to switch over to Internet Explorer to place an order. Sometimes going through and ensuring your Java runtimes and Flash players are up to date help alleviate some of the problems.

As for nobody checking the online orders? Well, that sounds more like a disconnect between the worker bees and management. Organizational change takes a while.

RB211
01-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Hahaha, try the IRS when you want to fill out the forms for doing a payment schedule on owed taxes! Error, please try again later...

Dawai
01-05-2010, 11:11 AM
OR at Office depot buying computer supplies..

WHEN I GOT that Debit-bank statement and saw three deductions for the same thing.. I was irate..

AND then Paypal.. Ebay.. they double deducted one month.. Not just a little mind you.. I had several hundred dollars in seller fees.

AND THEN.. (looking around for a hawk in the sky) I feel like a rabbit in a big empty field..

davidfe
01-05-2010, 12:17 PM
OR at Office depot buying computer supplies..

WHEN I GOT that Debit-bank statement and saw three deductions for the same thing.. I was irate..

AND then Paypal.. Ebay.. they double deducted one month.. Not just a little mind you.. I had several hundred dollars in seller fees.

AND THEN.. (looking around for a hawk in the sky) I feel like a rabbit in a big empty field..

David-- BUT, yu have to manage your accounts / cards BEFORE the statements come.

Just log in and check the balance / transactions after you make
an on-line activity.

Easier to fix the day it happens and easier on your disposition too.

HTH

davidfe
01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Supergrit.com Well it crashed over the weekend each time I'd try to establish a account..

they were recommended for sanding belts and flap wheels. (finish on brackets) I have had a industrial belt sander here in pieces now for years. No belts.. Locally the wanted $9-27 per belt. There's is $4.

Emailed Laura, Customer service, nice letter, no biker language, no asking what kinda underpants she was wearing or nuttin.. Seems a "programming" change over the weekend and I fell right between the cracks.. All fixed she said.

Hey, I emailed in my order this morning.. "returned email undeliverable". By the time we get this resolved I will know her kids names and birthdays??

I am too cheap to pay full retail.. unless ...

Java.. do you really ever know what it does to your machine while you are not seeing the input output?? How much business has been lost due to "automated" order system? Most people who are not as stubborn as I would have walked away silently.

I understand I am a home shop machinist, not a big corporation.. not.. that I am going to place a order every week, or every month.. or.. but who knows how fast some things grow?

David,

You did them a favor. You helped debug their site.

Nice of you and you were able to process your order too.

Did you ANY JAVA or FLASH upgrades / updates to your PC in
this process?

Regards and stay calm.

mattm
02-10-2010, 10:40 AM
supergrit.com didn't work for me either. I tried to place an order a couple of days ago and it worked right up until I tried to complete the order then it went to some error page. I sent them an email and no response. I'm like David, not a huge customer, so maybe they don't want my business. Any other suggestions on where to get 2 x 72 sanding belts?

matt

lazlo
02-10-2010, 11:12 AM
Did you ANY JAVA or FLASH upgrades / updates to your PC in
this process?

I just tried the SuperGrit web page, and it works fine with IE8, Chrome and Firefox.

Do you have Javascript disabled? Most shopping carts use Javascript, and if you have it turned off, it won't work...

By the way Javascript has little relation to Java, the platform independent, threaded, object-oriented programming language, created by Sun. Javascript is an HTML (web browser) scripting language from Netscape. Totally different animals.

mattm
02-10-2010, 11:34 AM
Javascript is on, using the latest Firefox. I buy stuff online all the time.
When this problem happened the supergrit server kicked me to some MS database error message. I guess the real reason I was not going to try again was when I sent them a message afterwords, they didn't get back to me. I'm not the kind of person who is going to beg a company to take my money :)

matt

MickeyD
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Their site may be a little flakey but I like the look of their prices. I ordered some scotch brite belts from another vendor and it took over two and a half weeks for them to come in and they charged more and the sales guy was not the most pleasant to deal with over the phone. I am going to remember these guys the next time that I order, but I think I will just phone it in.

mattm
02-10-2010, 11:41 AM
MickeyD,
I like their prices too, and I went there based on recommendations from people on this site. Hopefully they get their act together.

matt

SpyGuy
02-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Here are my two tales of online shopping woe...

Tale #1: Ebay Customer Support HELL

Recently purchased a new PC running Vita Ultimate x64 (including the free upgrade to Win7 x64 which I'll install when I have time to get around to it). I soon discovered I couldn't sign into my Ebay acct on the new PC. I could still log into Ebay on my old PC. So I figured I had screwed up some IE privacy/security settings on the new PC. Then I replaced the C: drive on my old PC (the old one was failing which was part of the motivation for buying the new PC), did a clean install of WinXP, and voilą!... now I couldn't sign into Ebay on the old PC either. What changed? The old PC had been running IE7 on the old drive. With the fresh install of WinXP on the old PC, I also installed IE8 (same as what is running on the new PC). Common point of failure.

The interesting thing is that when I would try to sign in to Ebay, I would be delivered to a page with an error message, but then I'd get IMMEDIATELY redirected back to the account sign-in page. The message flashes on the screen only briefly enough for me to see that an error msg is there, but impossible to read any part of it. I tried everything to try to stop the page from redirecting, and I even tried doing a screen capture at the exact moment the msg is flashed on the screen, but it's impossible for me to learn the content of that msg.

I still figured it was some kind of security/privacy settings problem in IE8, but I already reset all the browser settings to their defaults and even tried relaxing security even more than the default levels... no joy. I tried reading Ebay's online FAQs for sign-in problems, but those were worthless. Ebay's assumption was that ONLY two possibilities existed: the user forgot his User ID or the user forgot his password. Great. I knew my User ID and password were both correct because: (A) I had been able to sign in using IE7 on my old PC; (B) If I tried to sign in with an incorrect User ID and/or password, I get an error msg appear directly on the sign-in page (no redirect).

So I contacted Ebay's tech support via online chat. After the requisite long wait for a technician to connect, I explained in fair detail the problem I was having. He asked me to wait, then informed me he had reset my password and I would be getting a new temporary password by email. WHAT!! Obviously, he didn't bother to read my analysis (or lacked reading comprehension skills... I had clearly stated that my User ID and password were fine). He simply gave me the default "canned response" and reset my password (at least, so he said -- I never got the email with the temp password). Grrrrrr! I demanded to speak to a supervisor, and was transferred to a woman (still in chat). I explained everything again and then she asked me to wait while she reviewed the chat log. Then she informed me that SHE also reset my password! Grrrrrrr! x2 I asked her why she did that, and she told me it was because I told her that the previous "tech support" guy had reset my password. Unbelievable.

So after explaining for the third time that my password was NOT the problem and that it was a technical compatibility problem with IE8, she then asked me to try signing-in to Ebay Canada's web site (using the temp password she just made for me). I was able to sign-n to Ebay.ca and she then instructed me to go into my account settings and change my temp password. At this point I discovered that Ebay has benevolently decided that once you use a particular password on your account, you may NEVER use that password again. Ever. Grrrrr x3! Ok, so I modified my old password in a meaningful way that I could remember and added it to my acct. Next, back to Ebay USA...

Of course, I still can't sign-in to Ebay.com: so far nothing has been corrected or changed other than my password. I'm still waiting for Ebay's wonderful tech support to tell me what settings I must change in IE8 to make it compatible with Ebay.com. I tell her that I still cannot sign into Ebay.com because of the exact some problem I stated over an hour ago when I first contacted them about this issue. She asks me to wait, then informs me that she has reset my password again! Grrrrrr x4! I am now screaming at the chat window as I realize I will now have to create yet another new password for my acct.

After berating her about the password change again, I re-explained the problem in a way even a kindergarten child could understand, stopping for her positive acknowledgment every few words along the way. After getting through all that, she finally had a solution: "Sir, we advise you to download and install Firefox." Hello? So you're telling me that your company has designed their site to block the latest version of the most widely deployed browser in the world, and instead of fixing your site, you expect me to install a different browser on my PC? (Mind you, I don't object to Firefox. I DO object to being forced by Ebay.com to install and use Firefox to access their site! Grrrrrr x5!) Remember that Ebay.ca does NOT have any sign-in problem with IE8, so why can't Ebay.com use the same sign-in code as Ebay.ca? During this time, I've also been searching Ebay's forums and other online resources, and have found other complaints about this problem. I mention this to her. She has no answer to the point about Ebay.ca, nor about the point that the problem is affecting many users. She simply states that IE8 is not compatible with their site and that I must use Firefox. At this point, I remind her that on Ebay.com's own site is a page proclaiming: "Ebay recommends IE8 for it's users" (pushing a version of IE8 that incorporates an Ebay toolbar).

At this point, she starts getting pissy and informs me that they've already solved my problem (i.e., I must use Firefox) and that she will not provide any additional support. Grrrrrrr x6 x7 x8 & x9! I inform her that, as an Ebay user with about 3,000 transactions under my belt, I would think they would want to take better care of their customers, particularly one who has made so much money for them. She informs me that she will no longer chat me and is giving me just 5 minutes to copy all the chat records before she closes our chat session. Wonderful! I demand to speak to HER supervisor, and she tells me someone will call me to further address my issues. I just lost over 2 hours of my day, with no resolution to my problem and with my password all messed up. Grrrrrrrr x10! :mad: :mad: :mad:

To their credit, a gentleman did call me back and apologized for all the problems I had experienced with their support, especially the resetting of my password 3 times. He also told me that they would investigate the problem with their sign-in page.

That was over 4 weeks ago. As of today, it still doesn't work.

Note: Later that day, I did discover a work-around. By launching IE8 in "No Add-ons" mode, I can sign-in at Ebay.com. But why can't Ebay.com make their site work the same as Ebay.ca?

SpyGuy
02-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Tale #2: MSC hasn't caught up to the Internet age

I wanted to take advantage of MSC's 40% discount for one day only. I go to order an arbor press from their website and I sign-in to my acct. I haven't used my acct for some time and I notice that my billing & shipping addresses are from before my most last move a couple of years ago. Ok, I'll just update them on their site (like I do for every other online store). Ok, can update my shipping address, but NOT my billing address. Their site states I much contact their accounting dept to change my billing address. :(

I call customer service and explain the problem and I'm transferred to accounting. I'm told I need to fax a letter on company letterhead requesting the change of billing address. I explain that I am an individual purchaser and I have no company letterhead. I also explain that I will be paying by credit card (not on account) so why can't they change my billing address to match my credit card address. Nope. She tells me to write a letter requesting the change and to sign it.

I ask how long will it take for them to update my acct if I fax her a letter requesting the change. She tells me it should be changed in 2-3 days. I tell her I need to make the change immediately so I can take advantage of the one day 40% off sale that will expire in several hours. She says they can try to do that, but no guarantee. I again ask why they can't change it to match my credit card billing address (which is verifiable when they process the transaction) just as EVERY OTHER online vendor does. I'm told that it's for my own security because it prevents an unauthorized person from tampering with my account. I ask her (somewhat rhetorically) if they have my signature on file. No? Then how can you verify that I am the correct person writing the letter to request the change to my account. I explain that at least the credit card billing address can be verified when they process the transaction. She gets angry: those are THE RULES! Finally I give up trying to talk reason into the conversation. She asks if I will send the letter. I state, "No, I'll simply just sign up for a new account on your Web site." Shortly thereafter, I have a new online account (with my correct new billing address) and I've successfully placed my order for the arbor press.

Time on the phone trying to update my billing address on my old acct: over 30 minutes. Additional time it would have taken for me to write, print, sign, and fax a letter pleading with them to update my billing address: probably 10-15 minutes. Time to wait for them to actually update my billing address after receiving my faxed letter: several hours to several days.

Time online to create a new MSC shopping account and purchase my order: about 3 minutes.

Got to love inertia!

mattm
02-16-2010, 11:16 PM
Update on SuperGrit.com
After sending a second email I received an email from Laura at SuperGrit about a week later. She seems to have straightened out whatever problem I was having with the website and I was able to place an order. So now my review is: while maybe not speedy, at least they didn't blow me off. That makes them better than a lot of companies out there that would look at a small order type person like me and not bother.

matt

Jim2
02-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Tale #2: MSC hasn't caught up to the Internet age

I wanted to take advantage of MSC's 40% discount for one day only. I go to order an arbor press from their website and I sign-in to my acct. I haven't used my acct for some time and I notice that my billing & shipping addresses are from before my most last move a couple of years ago. Ok, I'll just update them on their site (like I do for every other online store). Ok, can update my shipping address, but NOT my billing address. Their site states I much contact their accounting dept to change my billing address. :(

Enco is the same as MSC. I've been using my existing account w/ my old "wrong" billing address to make my last 5-6(?) orders. As long as the shipping address is correct, I get my stuff. What is the billing address even for, anyway? They send their flyers to my new address. . . .

You're right. They are messed up!

Jim

lazlo
02-17-2010, 10:47 AM
I'm told I need to fax a letter on company letterhead requesting the change of billing address. I explain that I am an individual purchaser and I have no company letterhead. I also explain that I will be paying by credit card (not on account) so why can't they change my billing address to match my credit card address. Nope. She tells me to write a letter requesting the change and to sign it.

I'm surprised! I just logged on to my MSC account, and you're right, of course -- to change your billing address, you need to fax a live signature, and it has to be on company letterhead if it's a business account.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/content/custsupp/billingAddress.html

I'm pretty sure that's a new policy -- I'd swear I changed my billing address online when I move down to Texas. Sounds like they had an issue with someone...