PDA

View Full Version : What Did I Just Buy?

davidwdyer
01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
I was looking for some tool steel to try my hand at making some cutters.

Went to a store which sells such things and asked for oil hardening round stock.

(Remember all this is done in Portuguese which as many technical terms that I don't know so I really did not communicate well with the guy.)

Anyhow, they had only two kinds, "silver steel" which I think is O-1 and some other stuff they called VC-131. The silver steel was only available up to 1" in dia. and I wanted something bigger so I bought a little piece of this VC-131. I thought, "What the heck, I'll give it a try."

Now at home I am searching through all my books thinking I could identify this myself, but....no luck. Nothing. Nada.

Anybody who could help me out there???:confused:

EVguru
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=lrc3sRSR1rEC&pg=PA36&lpg=PA36&dq=VC-131+steel&source=bl&ots=6jQyhOg4HU&sig=RYDAiPum7KVg3wWVnideG8OwSSI&hl=en&ei=31RDS-ihBaD80wTc1emRBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CA4Q6AEwAQ

Carld
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
The best I can find is it's a tool steel used in knife making and the metal is made in Brazil.

Your Old Dog
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
S7 is a steel used in planer knives and such. Google S7 tool steel and see what pops up. Keep in mind "knife making" can mean anything from a million different hunting knives to planer and jointer blades. Good luck

john hobdeclipe
01-05-2010, 11:47 AM
S7 is a steel used in planer knives and such. Google S7 tool steel and see what pops up. Keep in mind "knife making" can mean anything from a million different hunting knives to planer and jointer blades. Good luck

And keep in mind that a steel that will make excellent planer or jointer knives absolutely will NOT work for cutlery...much too brittle when brought down to a cutlery type edge.

davidwdyer
01-05-2010, 12:24 PM
Now I found a web site in Portuguese that says I have bought D6 tool steel.

It seems to be OK. Hardens to a rockwell C of 67 and is an oil quench steel.

Also the temp. for hardening is 940C. One problem is that I'm not sure my furnace will go above 900 but have to check later. All this stuff here is insanely expensive, at least where I live. Probably traveling to other cities, I can find it cheaper. The price is high considering that the site says its made here in Brazil.

Thanks for all the help.:)