PDA

View Full Version : OT. anyone want to build a yacht?

Oldbrock
01-05-2010, 06:55 PM
[URL=http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/brockley1_bucket/?action=view&current=roberts370frames.jpg][IMG]http Frames for a Roberts 370, Radius chine steel hull. Have abandoned the project but hate seeing all my hard work go for scrap. These are in Alberta, Canada, anyone interested? Peter

beanbag
01-05-2010, 06:59 PM
http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj232/brockley1_bucket/roberts370frames.jpg
Frames for a Roberts 370, Radius chine steel hull. Have abandoned the project but hate seeing all my hard work go for scrap. These are in Alberta, Canada, anyone interested? Peter

fixed for u

Oldbrock
01-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks Beanbag, I have a hell of a time trying to post something and or following computer directions when I don't know half of the things they are referring to Peter

motorworks
01-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Hi brockley1
Just sent you a pm
have a friend out your way who wants to see it
eddie

Oldbrock
01-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Got it, thanks Motorworks, will phone him tomorrow. Peter

deeman
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
There are more unfinished boats and dreams than floating on the water.A boat that size outfitted for offshore work will cost in the neighborhood of 300k or you could by one second hand for 60k and be ready to go.Then there are others that say..you will learn from the experience...i say you are exactly right...you`ll never do it again after you learn.If you want to learn about building boats go work with a boatbuilder and get paid while actually learning the trade properly instead of trial and error and working from a handbook.Labor will only take you so far,then comes the cash.What you are getting is 1/1000 of the finished project.I`m only talking from experience,not to mention i`ve got a 38 complete hull in the shop right now and after i get finished dumping a small fortune into it,i`ll end up with a boat and a much smaller fortune.The other big thing is resale,home built yachts sell for pennies on the dollar of cost to build.Having said that go for it.

saltmine
01-05-2010, 11:40 PM
My old man once said,"A boat is a hole in the water you pour money into."

Oldbrock
01-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I came to realise that Saltmine, that's why I quit while I was only into it for a few bucks but lots of gas and labor. However if anyone was considering starting to construct a Roberts 370 these would be a great start, ready to mount on a base and start sheeting. Calls for 11ga plate. Peter

deeman
01-06-2010, 01:18 AM
Brockley..there is a guy out on the west coast doing real home friendly designs and cost effective building suitable for the backyard builder.Frameless attractive chined hulls have many advantages including rust control.Here is one link of many out there..just keep in mind outfitting the yacht is the big money however,Brent thinks more like one of us rather than the bigtime moneybag yachties.

http://www.metalboatbuilding.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=49

sconisbee
01-06-2010, 07:56 AM
I can vouch for the brent swain designs, they are great, I aquired one a year and a bit back to re-fit, its 26 years old and has been neglected in a river for the last 6 or so years. This one is built very solidly and has a much larger rig than any other yacht of the same size in the area (except racing rigs). really should get around to fixing her up as i really want to use her this season (crossed fingers) but replacment engine rebuild + fitting + deck plating + insides = money and time i havent got spare at the moment

Timewarp
01-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Hey, Brent is a friend - he has a great design, the only sane way to build a steel boat for the home builder. Also has an inexpensive book that lays it all out.
Paul

kendall
01-06-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm a good one at picking up project boats.
Looked into building, and considered both Roberts and Swain boats, They both have several interesting designs. But in the end I decided to stick with rebuilding old boats

If you're looking for an investment,or even expect to break even, it's not the way to go. But, if you're just looking for a project that will be enjoyable both during and after, it's great. I've done several boats and do break even if I factor in materials, but I'd be deep in the hole if I included time. (stupid concept in my opinion to factor time spent on a project as billable)

Normally I get through it pretty inexpensively. My routine is typically to get the hull and rigging seaworthy, then build a barebones interior, and let it evolve through use. (hey I need a hand hold here, a shelf there, and the sink looked good on paper, but is just in the wrong place to use) Typically use inexpensive materials during the evolution process, then once it's reached a stable point, where it's comfortable and usable without screaming for change, rebuild with better materials using the old as templates.

Helped a few people rebuild old boats, and they've always wanted to use the 'correct' materials from the start, most often only to tear it out a short while later because of usability or comfort issues. Which often restricts any real improvements because they want to re-use as much of the material as possible, so it is typically nothing more than re-arranging furniture. (If the couch is uncomfortable, it will be just as uncomfortable elsewhere)

Ken.

deeman
01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
I thought my current boat was going to be the last..it usually starts like this for sailing 24...then to a 30...then to 36...then 45...and goes back to where you see a 70 year old back daycruising in a 26.I`m reaching the top of my sailing career and the next one i`m looking at is a pilothouse design,i`ve spent too many cold days and nights on the north atlantic thinking about heading south until the butter melts on the table and turn hard to starboard.Anyone scrapping a Nauticat?

sconisbee
01-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey, Brent is a friend - he has a great design, the only sane way to build a steel boat for the home builder. Also has an inexpensive book that lays it all out.
Paul

I dont suppose you know if brent ever designed a 31 pilot house version do you? been thinking about converting mine as i have to rebuild the cockpit etc anyway.

Steve Seebold
01-06-2010, 01:28 PM
Definition of a yacht. A hole in the water you pour money in to.

plastikosmd
01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
yes and as far as sailing goes, how to get the thrill as sailing? Stand in the shower, turn it on ice cold and light 100$ bills on fire...just about the same!

sconisbee
01-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Definition of a yacht. A hole in the water you pour money in to.

maybe so but for those that don't have any other vices(no not that kind) its not that different than a slightly more expensive version of drink/cars/smoking etc.