PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify these grinding wheels

chuckinnc
01-05-2010, 06:58 PM
I have a stack of centerless (5"id) wheels, they are about 2" wide and
range from 14-11" dia. most are dark brown, a few black and a couple with a cork like lightweight material. I was told they came from a factory that makes saw blades and they have no or limited markings:

MAX 1910 & 70 M B2 (Stenciled on the side of the black wheels)

Bruno Schmitz D5630 Remscheid1 Konigstr. 77-83 - (Dark Brown ones)
100HW or MH001 marked on each wheel with a yellow pen

I would like to make some center adapters and use these on HHS, but not sure if safe not knowing the dia when new. I need some help on how to put these to use in the shop.

Evan
01-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Post a picture and my wife will tell what they are. I presume they have nut inserts for mounting?

boslab
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
try saint gobain abrasives, serial looks like one of thiers
mark

spope14
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
From my limited experience in centerless (bout 6 to 8 weeks) these are probably the wheel that helps pull the parts into the centerless grinder as they are fed in by the chute (or however you may choose to feed them into a centerless) and push the parts into the actual grinding wheel. The ones I remember were pretty hard, had a little give, had some grit (or just plain brown rubber or cork), and were smaller than the actual grinding wheel. They sat at a very slight but adjustable angle to the main wheel as well to adjust for the taper made in grinding down from a rough feed in diameter to the smaller finish diameter.

This I do know, they were expendable/consumable as I had to change these out probably more than the actual grinding wheel, and the composition varried according to application (material, roughing large amts of stock, or finishing).

chuckinnc
01-05-2010, 08:08 PM
I have tried to google them, from what I can tell its German however my browser dosent translate well and I dont know any German. I was hoping there
would be some one on the forum that did.

Evan
01-05-2010, 09:32 PM
What site? I speak German.

[added] Bruno Schmitz GMBH does not have an active web site, as is the case with many German companies.

From your description those aren't centreless grinding wheels but are what is called "nut inserted wheels".

Do they look anything like this?

http://ixian.ca/pics6/nutinsert.jpg

chuckinnc
01-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Bench grinding wheel, only much larger with 5" central hole and dark brown in color. Faces are perfectly flat as if they ground a large flat metal plate. I cant find the other site I googled. I call them centerless but that may not be the proper term.

Full label says:

Bruno Schmitz - Schleifmittelwerk GmbH (top of label)

D5630 Remschied1 Konigstr.77-83
Grinding wheel Manufacturer Produits abrasits (bottom of label)

On right & left sides of the label there is a triangle with a circle in it & BSR inside the circle (s is much larger than the B & R).

Evan
01-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Those wheels are designed to run on a special bench grinder with a 5" arbor made by Bruno Schmitz in Germany. The brown ones are aluminum oxide for grinding high speed steel and the black ones are probably for grinding hard chrome. My wife carries them in stock. They are worth new around $200 to $400 each or even more.

BSR is the trademark of Bruno Schmitz Reimschied (Reimschied is the town).

This is their web site. It says under construction. It's a domain name parking page.

http://www.schmitz-schleifmittelwerk.de/

"Schleifmittelwerk" means Abrasives Factory.

Black_Moons
01-06-2010, 04:15 AM
What kinda RPM's should those wheels run evan?
I assume (except for the rubber/cork one?) the OP should try a ring test before spining them up?

Evan
01-06-2010, 06:27 AM
The one that says "max 1910" is the speed limit, 1910 rpm. "Max" means the same in German as in English. They are usually marked somewhere with the maximum RPM. In German it will be Umdrehungen pro Minute which may be abbreviated as U/min or UpM.

Wheels are normally spin tested to 150% of stated maximum rpm. That gives some leeway for running too fast. These wheels will have higher limits than usual because of the large arbor which is why they are made that way. In the absence of definite markings I can't give a certain answer but the website I linked above does have an e-mail address.

chuckinnc
01-06-2010, 09:06 AM
Great, now I will make a 5" adapter and try one on HSS, the very dark brown
color made me question what type they were. I got these about 15yrs ago and just had them setting in the corner so I am surprised ther website is under construction. I will try and get a photo posted this week.
Bruno Schmitz Reimschied = BSR I should have put that one togather.

Evan
01-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Wheels that old will be much harder than when they were made. This applies to vitrified aluminum oxide wheels especially. I don't know what the exact reason is but old AlO wheels cut slower and hotter. It helps a lot to dress them down to fresh grit before trying to use them.

BTW, the colour of aluminum oxide wheels is completely arbitrary. They can be any colour that the manufacturer wants. The un-dyed material is crystalline white so any dye may be used.